• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

And so....it begins! NBA Season Restarts! July 30th - October 12th.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm all for these guys taking a stand and I'll support whatever decision they make as a group.  I'm 90% sure that if they decide to play that Dwight will play too.

Yep.

DH's agent has already come out and said he hasn't made a decision about if he'll play or not. 

i think in general, for those that want to play or not, they want and should have their say either way.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

i think in general, for those that want to play or not, they want and should have their say either way.

Absolutely.  Kyrie Irving should have his full say as well.  My earlier posts were about it being unwise to have him as the players' leader or spokesperson for multiple reasons.  Whether people are focus on BLM or Covid, etc. it is going to be every person getting their vote and ultimately their choice.  And that is the way it should be.

• Like 1

On a side note 📝, who else is surprised that Macdaddy is white? 😯 You has me guessing before. Lol. So, how long have you been getting invited to kg’s cul de? Is it nice in there? Where does he have the furniture? 🤔 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Absolutely.  Kyrie Irving should have his full say as well.  My earlier posts were about it being unwise to have him as the players' leader or spokesperson for multiple reasons.  Whether people are focus on BLM or Covid, etc. it is going to be every person getting their vote and ultimately their choice.  And that is the way it should be.

He is one of the VPs on the board, it could be simply as players were reaching out to him, I won't speak to how his peers view him in his role as a VP, because I don't know.

It was already pointed out since last week that players were already dissapointed they weren't included as part of the initial vote.

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He is one of the VPs on the board, it could be simply as players were reaching out to him, I won't speak to how his peers view him in his role as a VP, because I don't know.

It was already pointed out since last week that players were already dissapointed they weren't included as part of the initial vote.

As a member of the general public, I'll say he hasn't done himself favors on the PR front in the past and doesn't seem likely to do the players or BLM a lot of favors with the way he engages with the media.  So the players would be better getting someone else as a public face and let him do his work behind the scenes. 

(And hopefully behind the scenes he will make better points than that one he did about the economics of the CBA.  That rant demonstrated one of three things:  (1) he was in bad faith accusing the league of pitting players against each other due to the way salaries are designed under the CBA even though the CBA actually reduces the gap between the elite players and the weaker players and brings those salaries closer together than an unchecked market; (2) he meant well but was confused and didn't grasp the basic economic mechanics the union had previously negotiated; or (3) he didn't communicate what he intended.  None of those are good things for your 'public face.')

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

There's probably a number of unheralded role players who would make far better spokespeople than Kyrie. But that would defy the NBA's unofficial feudal system of stars (lords) vs. non stars (serfs). 

We've seen union spokes persons like Derek Fisher as Union President.  What I find interesting in particular about this is that Kyrie is one of 5 VPs today and is the only one doing his own thing.  He is also the only one who has barely served any time in that role and so probably doesn't have the relationships with the other union leaders.  Irving is the only VP who is new to the leadership team this year (starting as a VP in February).

Here are the others:

Bismack Biyombo
Jaylen Brown
Garrett Temple
Malcolm Brogdon
CJ McCollum

(Iggy is an elevated "First Vice President" role along with CP as President.)

Not shockingly, Irving is also his teams rep which means he either voted in favor of the proposal or abstained from voting.

• Premium Member

If the NBA’s bubble plans burst, it won’t be because of one rogue individual or even one issue. Pushback to the league’s proposal would require a significant portion of the nearly 330 remaining players – or a handful of the revenue-drawing superstars – to sit this one out.

Social justice was the primary topic during the conference call, but players have also shown apprehension over the public health and safety worries presented by COVID-19. They’ve also been disturbed by the parameters of a restrictive bubble existence at Disney’s Wide World of Sports, which would keep them isolated from family and friends for several weeks. Injury risks, especially for players expected to enter free agency or to become eligible for generational-wealth-building contracts, has also contributed to the apprehension.

One prominent agent told me that many of his clients don’t support the bubble concept. When I asked which issue led to the most hesitation – social justice, the novel coronavirus, injury fears or being sequestered, the agent replied, “All of the above.”

https://theathletic.com/1873145/2020/06/15/lee-kyrie-irving-isnt-being-an-agitator-hes-doing-his-job/

• Premium Member
Nuggets all-star center Nikola Jokic may have been exposed to someone who tested positive for coronavirus during a recent visit to his native Serbia. Pictures show Jokic in close proximity to Nikola Jankovic, a center for KK Partizan, during last Thursday’s exhibition game honoring coach Dejan Milojevic in Belgrade. On Monday, Jankovic’s professional team announced he had tested positive for the virus. A picture in the following tweet shows Jankovic “Janker” standing to Jokic’s right.
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think the players' best opportunity to be heard on Black Lives Matter is by playing.  Their platform and audience will be much larger than if they choose not to play.  Advertisers, networks and the league will never give the players as much latitude in terms of air time, gestures and messaging on these types of issues as they will do right now with the nation pretty starved for sports content and a vast majority of respondents to polls acknowledging systemic issues.  The pump is primed to deliver something really meaningful, imo.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think the players' best opportunity to be heard on Black Lives Matter is by playing.  Their platform and audience will be much larger than if they choose not to play.  Advertisers, networks and the league will never give the players as much latitude in terms of air time, gestures and messaging on these types of issues as they will do right now with the nation pretty starved for sports content and a vast majority of respondents to polls acknowledging systemic issues.  The pump is primed to deliver something really meaningful, imo.  

It should be on a volunteer basis and a simple understanding; file for unemployment or pandemic assistance just like everyome else if you are not working.

For me, if I am in my twenties to early thirties, I am going back to work to make get my millions. But some players may not. I call that a choice.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

It should be on a volunteer basis and a simple understanding; file for unemployment or pandemic assistance just like everyome else if you are not working.

For me, if I am in my twenties to early thirties, I am going back to work to make get my millions. But some players may not. I call that a choice.

I think that is exactly how it will work (noting that if you simply choose not to work you may not be eligible for unemployment).  Now for someone like Kyrie who can't play due to injury, he is probably going to get paid his normal salary anyway.  But someone who is otherwise able to play and who decides the risks are too great or that they would rather focus on social justice issues isn't going to get paid.  

It only becomes more of a group issue if so many people don't play that it results in cancellation of games or revenue depression which will then, in turn, feed into future cap calculations.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think that is exactly how it will work (noting that if you simply choose not to work you may not be eligible for unemployment).  Now for someone like Kyrie who can't play due to injury, he is probably going to get paid his normal salary anyway.  But someone who is otherwise able to play and who decides the risks are too great or that they would rather focus on social justice issues isn't going to get paid.  

It only becomes more of a group issue if so many people don't play that it results in cancellation of games or revenue depression which will then, in turn, feed into future cap calculations.  

Yep the Kyrie's and Howard's talk a good game. I saw the post that D12, per his Agent, is already backing out of his claim of things being fixed first. As you said, Kyrie stands a good chance of still getting paid.

The NBA is in a sad state as is most of sports leagues. Millions upon millions of people are out there worrying about groceries and paying their light bill. The NBA and their whining disputes is like the last thing they are concerned with.

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, AHF said:

Insurance is probably paying Kyrie's salary since he's injured.

So the players on the 8 uninviteds gets paid without having to decide to play or not since it's been decided for them.

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Lol.  It's super nice there.   Just sippin craft brews and playing corn hole.  Friggin awesome dude.

It never dawned on me to identify on here.  Then i thought 'oh crap what did is say?'   Hopefully nothing too bad.  I thought all my gifs of Reese Witherspoon would have given me away.

Cool beans 😃 I’ll bring over the Sierra Nevada next time broh! 😉