• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Offseason Officially Starts!

JayBirdHawk

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You're skipping a step in PHI.  This year's flame out will be blamed on Brett Brown who will rightfully lose his job.  They won't break up Embiid/Simmons before that step and they certainly won't do it in the same offseason.  Honestly, considering the lost revenue and the weird/short offseason, there's a chance no major roster changes will happen.

I tend to agree on Gobert, value-wise, considering his contract. I suppose I'm assuming, if they trade for him, they'd do so with some 'understanding' on a next contract.  Similar to what HOU did when they acquired Chris Paul.

Probably true on the first front, the only reason they might break them up though is they are in cap hell now, gonna be pretty deep in the tax with no way to improve or even cut salary unless they dump one IMO. Maybe they could use Thybulle (and maybe their pick) to unload Horford, which I would hop on too btw.

To your second point, problem is that agreement with Chris Paul ended up with him on an absurd deal, and Paul is WAY better than Gobert even now IMO.

13 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Simmons

One thing I hate more than any trait in any basketball player is the inability to shoot. That’s my only hang up with him. Other than that, he’s strong, solid pretty much all around and a excellent passer for his size. Trae/Cam/Simmons/Collins/Capela with Hunter and Huerter off the pine 🌲 sounds nice.

2 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Probably true on the first front, the only reason they might break them up though is they are in cap hell now, gonna be pretty deep in the tax with no way to improve or even cut salary unless they dump one IMO. Maybe they could use Thybulle (and maybe their pick) to unload Horford, which I would hop on too btw.

To your second point, problem is that agreement with Chris Paul ended up with him on an absurd deal, and Paul is WAY better than Gobert even now IMO.

You're not wrong on PHI's cap heyul, but I don't think you lose one of Embiid/Simmons to alleviate it.

And, just because Paul ended up on an admittedly dumbarse deal doesn't mean that'd be the outcome on Gobert.  I'm working under the assumption that our GM isn't a dumbarse like Morey is.  I was just using that as an example of a situation where a next-contract could be 'agreed upon' in the trade scenario I suggested.

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I remember being on the phone with my brother watching that lottery and when we got #2 I said, “Chris Paul.  Ok.  Big upgrade for us.”

But by draft time I was good with Marvin as the highest ceiling player in the draft and concerns over Paul’s size.  Oops.

I had CP3 (Isiah) Marvin(Worthy) and Deron on my big board. I wanted CP3 over anyone as we were starved for a point guard since Mookie. 😔 Oops 😬 rec oops 😬 

16 minutes ago, AHF said:

I remember being on the phone with my brother watching that lottery and when we got #2 I said, “Chris Paul.  Ok.  Big upgrade for us.”

But by draft time I was good with Marvin as the highest ceiling player in the draft and concerns over Paul’s size.  Oops.

I hated that pick with a passion. To be honest, I hated Marvin, I look at him exactly how I looked at JJJ recently.  I wanted Deron or CP3. I wanted a star. I am glad we got it right this time. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I hated that pick with a passion. To be honest, I hated Marvin, I look at him exactly how I looked at JJJ recently.  I wanted Deron or CP3. I wanted a star. I am glad we got it right this time. 

I was never a Marvin guy either. Every game I saw him in at UNC, I was like "um, I don't see it."

5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I was never a Marvin guy either. Every game I saw him in at UNC, I was like "um, I don't see it."

He never had star or superstar potential. I didn't understand why so many people were high on him. Then again, same with JJJ. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He never had star or superstar potential. I didn't understand why so many people were high on him. Then again, same with JJJ. 

Same here...When I watched JJJ in college, I couldn't figure which player was him because the announcers continued to talk about this great talent on his team.  Well I never saw that great talent on that team and still don't on Memphis aside from Morant.

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Same here...When I watch JJJ in college, I couldn't figure which player was him because the announcers continued to talk about this great talent on his team.  Well I never saw that great talent on that team and still don't on Memphis aside from Morant.

I like Morant and Clarke. I think they have a better supporting cast than we do. JJJ helps them. No question about it but we needed a star in 2018. We got one. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I didn't understand why everyone made such a big deal about Marvin's jumper being such great form when it didn't go in consistently.  

Like the girl with the banging bod but not the face to match? 🤔:laugh:

• Haha 3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Like the girl with the banging bod but not the face to match? 🤔:laugh:

Might depend on whether she

14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

go[es] in consistently.  

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I like Morant and Clarke. I think they have a better supporting cast than we do. JJJ helps them. No question about it but we needed a star in 2018. We got one. 

What a steal they got in Clarke. Many were like, "he's old, hes a T-Rex". Yea, so f'n what? He's a good basketball player. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The Biggest Offseason Question for Every NBA Team Not Headed to Disney: Part 1

Atlanta Hawks

Record: 20-47 (14th in Eastern Conference)

2020 NBA draft picks (pre-lottery, per Tankathon.com): 4, 52

Pending free agents: Jeff Teague, Vince Carter, Treveon Graham, DeAndre’ Bembry (restricted), Skal Labissiere (restricted), Damian Jones (restricted)

The big question: What does Atlanta think it needs to level up?

The Hawks want to make the playoffs next year. We know this because despite being one of the worst teams in the league this season, they shipped out the Nets’ lottery-protected 2020 first-round pick to bring in Clint Capela, a rim-running, shot-blocking center in his prime, in hopes that he might be the answer to ascendant pick-and-roll playmaker Trae Young’s postseason prayers. We also know this because they followed the Capela deal by swinging a second deal for ex-Hawk Dewayne Dedmon, another shot-blocking center—this one with some stretch to his game—who can act as a backline anchor and ensure 48 minutes of rim protection for a team that’s fielded a bottom-five defense in each of the past three seasons. We also know the Hawks want to make the playoffs next year because, y’know, they said so.

So: Given that organizational goal, how does Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk elevate his team from the basement to the postseason bracket? Internal growth is likely a big part of the plan. In his second season, Young became an All-Star, currently ranking fourth in the league in scoringand second in assists, and creating more buckets for his teammates at the rim than any other player in the league, according to pbpstats.com. After slow starts to their careers, De’Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish both came on as their rookie seasons progressed. A left rotator cuff strain threw a wrench into Kevin Huerter’s sophomore season, but he still shot 38 percent from 3-point range on six attempts per game and posted a strong 2.45-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio. And after returning from his 25-game PED suspension, John Collins averaged 22.2 points, 10.3 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, and 1.4 assists per game, shooting 59 percent from the field and 39.1 percent from 3-point land on 3.6 attempts a night—an indicator of the ongoing diversification of his offensive game and a promising sign for his potential fit as an occasional floor-spacing 4 alongside Capela. All of those players are 22 or younger; while growth and development aren’t linear and constant, the Hawks are betting that, even for Young, the best is yet to come.

The only one of those core pieces due for an immediate raise is Collins, who becomes eligible for an extension this offseason. That means, if you’ll permit me a brief Jean-Ralphio reference, the Hawks are flush with cash: They’re projected to have more than $47 million in cap space. We know that the free-agent market isn’t especially excitingthis offseason for a variety of reasons, but there are some intriguing players on it, and Atlanta will have the wherewithal to splash the pot and try to make improvements.

I don’t think the Pelicans will let Brandon Ingram even approach city limits, but he’s a 22-year-old combo forward who proved this season he can thrive as a no. 1 option and after Zion Williamson’s debut, he started to show that he could still shine in a complementary role, too; why not make New Orleans prove it’s willing to pony up the max to keep him? Sure, Sacramento signaled its intention to keep ace combo guard Bogdan Bogdanovic by offloading Dedmon’s deal, but the Serbian playmaker could work on or off the ball as a smart facilitator, knockdown shooter, and gutsy late-game option alongside or backing up Young. Among more attainable options, Nets marksman Joe Harris has blossomed next to high-usage, ball-dominant point guards in Brooklyn, and might be a nice fit on the wing for a team that could use more perimeter shooting.

If none of those options pan out, maybe Schlenk decides not to waste any time and makes Collins a big offer now. Or, he might prefer to wait the year, see how the former Wake Forest big man meshes with Capela, maintain financial flexibility in the event that a superstar demands a change of scenery, and then use the right of first refusal in restricted free agency to match any offer sheet he receives next summer. Or he could dangle Atlanta’s top-half-of-the-lottery pick at the draft for immediate help. Or he could stand pat, take the best player available, trust that Trae’s playmaking brilliance plus the developing young wings are enough to at least lift Atlanta into the neighborhood of the Orlandos of the world, and keep that cap-space powder dry to try make an even bigger explosion in the summer of 2021.

Atlanta has the youth, money, and talent to put together something interesting. The question is whether Schlenk, Lloyd Pierce, and Co. can find a way to bring it all together.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/6/10/21286051/nba-offseason-preview-warriors-hawks-timberwolves-cavaliers

• Like 1

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Other than being on a team and drawing oxygen, how is Kabengele "alive" or "kicking" compared to them other dudes?

😏

Averaging 23.6 points per 36!

(small sample size - like pretty much meaningless given the limited time)

• Haha 3