• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Offseason Officially Starts!

JayBirdHawk

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

It would cost Jaylen Brown.

Atleast.

1 hour ago, bird_dirt said:

I would love to have Romeo here, but not for Collins or any of our starters.

You know, to help them with their logjam of young projects.

Why?  Just another rando wing prospect, imho.  There'll be 13 similar guys drafted this year probably.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Atleast.

Why?  Just another rando wing prospect, imho.  There'll be 13 similar guys drafted this year probably.

Selfish reasons. Local kid done good kinda thing.

I don't think he'll be a star or anything, but I think he had a hand injury that really screwed him up at IU/rookie year and there's still plenty of untapped potential in there. Potential good second stringer.

• Premium Member

We’ve been working with the other seven teams trying to come up with a proposal to present to the league, and then the league would obviously have to digest that and take that to the (NBPA) and obviously get their sign off. We’re hopeful that we’ll be able to get something done, but there are obviously steps we’ve got to go through as well.”

On the player side, the Hawks are still engaging in the activities, headlined by Zoom meetings, that they’ve had throughout this three-month window.

“We still currently have our Sunday and Thursday meetings,” Pierce said. “Each guy is different, so in terms of what their moods are a lot of them are eager to know what Travis just talked about: what our next steps will be. As we all are. They want it, they want the opportunity to play, they’re waiting to see what capabilities we’ll have. So we’re in this holding pattern, and most of our discussion has been about that with regards to basketball. What our next steps will be.”

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Say the Hawks get the fourth pick in the draft, do you see a scenario where they’d trade (John) Collins, (Kevin) Huerter and the pick for Anthony Edwards and play (De’Andre) Hunter as a stretch four? — Jonathan H.

That’s way too much capital ....... there’s not one person in this draft the Hawks should feel remotely comfortable giving up two members of the “Core 5,” plus their own first-round pick.... Maybe Zion Williamson if we’re talking about last year’s draft but certainly no one in this draft.

Also, the only way the Hawks seriously should consider moving Collins is if they’re getting an established player in return. Collins is one of the best young power forwards and still has the potential to continue growing and adding to his game even more than what he already has done.

It’s certainly possible the Hawks could explore deals for Collins if they don’t think he’s worth the contract he likely will command when he gets a new deal (which likely will start at more than $20 million per year). But including him in a trade to move up a few spots in this draft would be a non-starter.

If we draft a wing, do you still see a future for Huerter with the Hawks? — Tariye E.
I do. Remember, just because a current starter might not be the starter long term, it doesn’t mean that player doesn’t have value. Even if Huerter loses his starting job to Reddish, whomever the Hawks draft this year or sign as a free agent, Huerter’s still valuable and would be a great sixth man.

If we were to draft Edwards, how do you think the rotations would pan out? Who would come off the bench and who would close? — Adithya K.

...... Three starting — and closing — spots are locked in: Young at point guard, Collins at power forward and Clint Capela at center......best defenders on the floor to close out the game: Cam Reddish at shooting guard and Hunter at small forward........best shooters on the floor, Huerter likely would be with Hunter........ best playmaking options on the floor and the best opportunity to have Young move off the ball, maybe they would have Edwards at shooting guard and Reddish at small forward. Or maybe they go small and have Collins at the five with Huerter at the two, Reddish at the three and Hunter at the four.

Why haven’t I seen Dayton’s Obi Toppin mentioned as a potential fit for the Hawks? — Eddie C.

Toppin was arguably my favorite player to watch in college basketball this past season, but he doesn’t make a lot of sense for the Hawks to take in the first eight picks.

Getting someone who could pair with Young in the backcourt should be the priority for the Hawks, followed by wings who have playmaking ability and the potential to be high-level defenders, then big men.

If the Hawks wanted to go the route of selecting a power forward/center, Onyeka Okongwu would be a much better option for Atlanta because of his high-level defense and excellent playmaking ability. I worry about Toppin’s long-term defensive ability and wonder if he’ll just turn out to be a slightly better version of what Jabari Parker is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why haven’t I seen Dayton’s Obi Toppin mentioned as a potential fit for the Hawks? — Eddie C.

Toppin was arguably my favorite player to watch in college basketball this past season, but he doesn’t make a lot of sense for the Hawks to take in the first eight picks.

Getting someone who could pair with Young in the backcourt should be the priority for the Hawks, followed by wings who have playmaking ability and the potential to be high-level defenders, then big men.

If the Hawks wanted to go the route of selecting a power forward/center, Onyeka Okongwu would be a much better option for Atlanta because of his high-level defense and excellent playmaking ability. I worry about Toppin’s long-term defensive ability and wonder if he’ll just turn out to be a slightly better version of what Jabari Parker is.

@NBASupes, right now

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e472199e6db3fa3b3e573 

Just messing with you Supes. I know you're passionate about Toppin. 

• Haha 2

Just now, marco102 said:

@NBASupes, right now

Anyone who question's Obi fit in Atlanta is an idiot. Just facts. 

He is the best PDS big in this draft. 

Has exceptional offensive scheme versatility. 

Has exceptional offensive versatility 

High BBIQ

High Feel for the game

High Personal IQ

Exceptional movement skills

Elite passing potential

Great feel for passing

Unselfish

Elite finisher

Excellent shooting touch even if his form is a bit wonky for my taste

Now you can question his potential and current defensive impact. 

You can question his defensive fit with Trae Young. 

I get that, but to question his fit in Atlanta is low IQ and shit posting to the 10th degree. To even compare him to Jabari f***ing Parker losing all creditably of having in Basketball sense whatsoever. Whoever that person is, is f***ing idiot. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Anyone who question's Obi fit in Atlanta is an idiot. Just facts. 

He is the best PDS big in this draft. 

Has exceptional offensive scheme versatility. 

Has exceptional offensive versatility 

High BBIQ

High Feel for the game

High Personal IQ

Exceptional movement skills

Elite passing potential

Great feel for passing

Unselfish

Elite finisher

Excellent shooting touch even if his form is a bit wonky for my taste

Now you can question his potential and current defensive impact. 

You can question his defensive fit with Trae Young. 

I get that, but to question his fit in Atlanta is low IQ and shit posting to the 10th degree. To even compare him to Jabari f***ing Parker losing all creditably of having in Basketball sense whatsoever. Whoever that person is, is f***ing idiot. 

I thought you'd rip into that post. haha.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

I thought you'd rip into that post. haha.

It was shit posting, you know I hate shit posting. It's like comparing John Collins to Damian Jones, lol nbadraft.net. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It was shit posting, you know I hate shit posting. 

I think everyone knows it but just to be clear that was an excerpt from an article that was linked above.  Supes wasn't bashing any poster.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

To even compare him to Jabari f***ing Parker losing all creditably of having in Basketball sense whatsoever. Whoever that person is, is f***ing idiot. 

Uuummm....question...did you not make a similar Collins/Parker comparison? I could look into it :cute:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, marco102 said:

@NBASupes, right now

What supes' reaction should've been ...

tbt.gif

(And Parker's probably a good comp for Toppin.  Not in terms of his game, but probably his impact and role/fit.)

ETA: @marco102 you gotta have my back when supes comes for me since this is all your fault.

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Uuummm....question...did you not make a similar Collins/Parker comparison? I could look into it :cute:

His face-up game with that first step into an explosive action, yes, but that's where it ends. The tunnel vision, the low feel for what's going on around him, and the selfishness isn't traits Toppin shares. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators

Getting someone who could pair with Young in the backcourt should be the priority for the Hawks, followed by wings who have playmaking ability and the potential to be high-level defenders,

This is curious to me since we have Cam, Hunter, Heurter already.   I'd rather have a backup PF and sign some vet wings for the bench unless we can get Edwards. 

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

What supes' reaction should've been ...

tbt.gif

(And Parker's probably a good comp for Toppin.  Not in terms of his game, but probably his impact and role/fit.)

My God, how? Do you even understand Toppin's game? 

Please tell me what parts of the game where Parker has movement skills, high BBIQ, good court vision, excellent feel for the game, high BBIQ, excellent finishing skills, elite touch, and excellent playmaking potential? If Parker was all of these things, he would be a freaking monster, not traded for bad contracts and benched on SAC

6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

This is curious to me since we have Cam, Hunter, Heurter already.   I'd rather have a backup PF and sign some vet wings for the bench unless we can get Edwards. 

I heard a few eggsperts explain this somewhat.  Basically said part of our offensive struggles are because no one else can create or pass effectively enough.  Heurter/Cam do it somewhat, per the eggsperts, but the Hawks would benefit from having other facilitators on the floor with Trae and when he sits.

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

My God, how? Do you even understand Toppin's game? 

Please tell me what parts of the game where Parker has movement skills, high BBIQ, good court vision, excellent feel for the game, high BBIQ, excellent finishing skills, elite touch, and excellent playmaking potential? If Parker was all of these things, he would be a freaking monster, not traded for bad contracts and benched on SAC

You're too close to the situation.  Toppin here would likely be in the same role Parker was.  Would he be better in it?  Maybe.

That is all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You're too close to the situation.  Toppin here would likely be in the same role Parker was.  Would he be better in it?  Maybe.

That is all.

:ahf:

Wait... Wait... Wait for it...

:ahf2:

Edited by NBASupes

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Picard-Deal.gif

We're gonna revisit this a year from now, supes.  If I'm wrong, I'll happily give you your props.  I don't think I'll be wrong though.

It's so inaccurate that I'll just take it as Alex talking about Adreian Payne or Diesel with Shelden Williams when I knew Payne and Williams was garbage. You were spot on with Hunter and you are completely missing the target with Toppin. That's fine. I've had my hits and misses too. I thought Mike Conley wasn't going to be good while in the same draft was high on Brendan Wright. At least I always knew Horford would be very good and Durant would be a superstar. 

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Picard-Deal.gif

We're gonna revisit this a year from now, supes.  If I'm wrong, I'll happily give you your props.  I don't think I'll be wrong though.

I hate to be “that guy” here but can we stop the Star Wars/Star Trek gifs. Fine, I never watched any of them ok. I dunno 🤷‍♀️ maybe I’m a geek.

I don’t know whose got a more compelling case here between Supes and Buzz for Obi and Haliburton respectively. Both have really great offensive versatility that Schlenk likes but neither plays great D which Schlenk lately has been showing he doesn’t like in selecting Hunter/Cam, but before he went Trae. Honestly Schlenk is hard to read in a poker ♠️ game. 💯 Which is good cuz he keeps other GM’s guessing.