• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I like Deni, but can some Hawks fans tell me why some of them love him

NBASupes

I found this on Deni, and I wonder if it's true:

More than just an offensive threat, Avdija is a physical defender who takes pride on that side of the floor. Not only does he have the mindset to produce on the defensive end but he has solid athleticism that separates him from similar European forward prospects in recent history. That athleticism helps him as a shot-blocker and when it comes to leaping above the pack to get a rebound which should also help him adjust to the NBA game.

Perhaps the most appealing element of Avdija as a prospect is that the combination of his athleticism and defence make him feel like a safe bet and his elite offensive upside gives him a chance at being a star. He displays a lot of the traits of a primary scorer in the NBA but also excels at role player qualities and that could help him early in his professional journey. Out of the gate, he could offer value as an auxiliary piece supporting an established star, all while he continues to develop those starter calibre skills he already has.

Obi definitely has a high floor.  As long as we don't come out of the draft with a complete bust, we'll be in a better position for trade flexibility going forward.  It's probably more likely that we need to make a deal down the road to maximize our roster, than it is to pick a ideal complementary player for the Hawks out of this strange draft.  We should have a nice variety of valuable assets going forward, including the cap space. 

This is the most interesting time to be a Hawks fan probably since the Bibby trade, or the magic of the moose goggles 60 win season.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't have any deep knowledge of his game but i'll say this.  I've been underestimating Euro leagues for several years and i should have realized my mistake sooner.   So I don't know if Deni is going to be great or not but i know he's been playing decently high level pro ball and he's 19.   doesn't mean anything but i think it's worth checking out.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I feel like scouting is just better now.   What's the worst pick (not including unforeseen injuries) of the last 10 years?

Your suggestion of Bender is a good one.

Markelle Fultz should be in the discussion not for the time he has missed but for how bad he has been when he has played.  And because he was the #1 pick.  (And the fact that Philly gave up more than #1 pick value to trade for him doesn't help.)

Jahlil Okafor at #3.

Josh Jackson is in the discussion at #4.

Super Mario at #5.  Dante Exum at #5.  Thomas Robinson at #5.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I feel like scouting is just better now.   What's the worst pick (not including unforeseen injuries) of the last 10 years?

It has improved somewhat. Just think of some of the colossal busts from the 2000s. Kwame Brown, Hasheem Thabeet, Darco Milicic, and our own Shelden Williams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

It's a lot better in the last two years. Teams are starting to adjust to the modern NBA but it's taking time, Wiseman is still a top 3 pick so maybe by 2023. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2