• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Here Comes The Falcons - 2020 Season is upon us!

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

I just don't know where to be on Ryan.   I'd hate to see him not be a Falcon but it's hard to imagine getting the offensive line good enough to make him effective.   He makes some great passes and he makes some really bad ones.   Weak arm and no mobility is not a good mix for a 35+ year old.   He truly has had a remarkable career.  You can't really name another successful QB in the last 20 years with those two weaknesses.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 12/7/2020 at 10:10 AM, macdaddy said:

I just don't know where to be on Ryan.   I'd hate to see him not be a Falcon but it's hard to imagine getting the offensive line good enough to make him effective.   He makes some great passes and he makes some really bad ones.   Weak arm and no mobility is not a good mix for a 35+ year old.   He truly has had a remarkable career.  You can't really name another successful QB in the last 20 years with those two weaknesses.  

We need to address the OL and DL for the first time I can remember.  It all starts up front.  Everyone will be better if we can only get good line play.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Jdawgflow said:

We need to address the OL and DL for the first time I can remember.  It all starts up front.  Everyone will be better if we can only get good line play.

I agree but we basically have to have the best OL in football for Ryan to be successful at this point.  Brees and Rodgers can make up for a less than perfect line.  The slightest pressure on Ryan blows up our plays.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I agree but we basically have to have the best OL in football for Ryan to be successful at this point.  Brees and Rodgers can make up for a less than perfect line.  The slightest pressure on Ryan blows up our plays.  

I don’t think I would go that far.  He is not perfect but top half of the league. And we are stuck with him a few more years anyway.  A great line will do him and the running game wonders.  I have always admired the Steelers.  Smash mouth and mean defense.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

I don’t think I would go that far.  He is not perfect but top half of the league. And we are stuck with him a few more years anyway.  A great line will do him and the running game wonders.  I have always admired the Steelers.  Smash mouth and mean defense.

Yeah.  I go back and forth on Ryan.  I like the guy and maybe he really is still great but watching him unable to hit anyone deep with any kind of consistency and also unable to run out of the pocket I'm just wondering.  Rothlesberger is really the only other guy i can think of that is a top qb in this league with such limited mobility and he is much stronger than Ryan.

But you're right.  Point is kind of moot.

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah.  I go back and forth on Ryan.  I like the guy and maybe he really is still great but watching him unable to hit anyone deep with any kind of consistency and also unable to run out of the pocket I'm just wondering.  Rothlesberger is really the only other guy i can think of that is a top qb in this league with such limited mobility and he is much stronger than Ryan.

But you're right.  Point is kind of moot.

I agree Ryan has taken a step back.  He is not 2016 Ryan but still can be a winner (for at least a few more years). Until we completely change from wanting shiny things as a franchise to doing the little things like defense and excellent line play we are not going to win.  The culture needs a complete reboot.

• Like 2

Didn't realize until today that Ryan has not thrown his 20th TD yet, that's not a great stat at all and shows how out of the loop I've been (just haven't had much interest, and I'm sure I'm not alone).

Holy poop. Koetter might be hurting but I think Ryan might be starting to decline, for real. If he doesn't return to how he looked at his best a few years back with a new OC, it's likely time to start thinking about the post-Ryan era.

Wouldn't go QB in this upcoming draft, but we might need to after the 2021 season.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I just think he's done as an elite QB because he just doesn't have any ability to make something happen anymore.  Not being able to get out of the pocket to buy time just puts too much pressure on the line.   Not being able to complete passes of more than a few yards when under pressure is a big issue.  I'm a huge Ryan fan but I think we have to admit that the chances of contending in his final years are slim to none.   I know he has elite numbers but the results these past few years tell a different story.  The fact that our kickers always lead the league in points is pretty damning.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tom Brady does it again..  Matty Ice melts again.

Whoever makes the best adjustments at half time is going to be the likely winner.  Must Atlanta always suffer in the pro sports?  Braves did pretty good.  Falcons are, sadly, pretty bad.  Then, Hawks look terrible in pre season.  

😪

• Premium Member

We need to blow it up.  Cut all the dead weight.  Have a terrible team next year, trade who we can for picks, and find the right coach/GM and give him time to build from the ground up.  Mac I think you are right that a new QB would be best.  If we could trade Ryan and Julio for picks that would be ideal.

• Like 2

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Jdawgflow said:

We need to blow it up.  Cut all the dead weight.  Have a terrible team next year, trade who we can for picks, and find the right coach/GM and give him time to build from the ground up.  Mac I think you are right that a new QB would be best.  If we could trade Ryan and Julio for picks that would be ideal.

I've been trying to talk myself out of thinking Ryan is done but I just can't.   Watching any other team in the league, the really good ones aren't great because the O-line is infallible.   They are great because the QB can buy time and make things happen.   Mahomes, Brees, Rogers, Wilson every single successful drive involves them leaving the pocket and pressuring the defense to cover for more than a 4 seconds.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 9/21/2020 at 6:56 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

LOL.  Since that Superbowl choke, I have not watched a full game - I start and it gets downhill real fast.

They just aren't a fun team to watch anymore, not even when they win.

I am so glad I did not invest anytime to watch this season.  After, the 1st 4 games, I haven't watched ANY footbal.

😪  Sadly, guess how many game winning drives Mattty Ice has had this season.  

Brady walks onto the field to begin the second half, any game against Atlanta.  The Falcons become so upset that the game is over.  Right there.  This has happened hiss entire career.  

Oh, the answer is -0- winning drives.  

:cry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not an expert on the nfl by any means but blank/mckay are going to hire a head coach before we find a new GM?   Isn't that backwards?

Sounds about right, then they'll wonder what happened. smh....I've given up on football, so I'm good.

Have been the ultimate homer but you know we can pull off the Green Bay drill by drafting a QB now and avoid eating 40 million immediately on Matt while the new guy trains for a least a year. Never wanted to be here but....well....we are the Falcons and we truly are here. It ain't easy when you fall. Lets move on.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thomas said:

Have been the ultimate homer but you know we can pull off the Green Bay drill by drafting a QB now and avoid eating 40 million immediately on Matt while the new guy trains for a least a year. Never wanted to be here but....well....we are the Falcons and we truly are here. It ain't easy when you fall. Lets move on.

Meant to say train the backup QB behind Matt so as not to have to eat the total cap hit of 40 million if we trade Ryan immediately. He is probably here for a couple more and hopefully someone such Fields, Wilson or Lance is fully ready to start by then.

• Like 1