Free Agency 2020!!

capstone21

12 minutes ago, Eddielives said:

This is why the arguments for us building a contender through free agency first aren’t realistic. We’re only going to change attitudes about free agents coming here when we actually become good through the draft...which we’re very close to doing and we have that one special player in Trae thanks to the draft. He literally is our big break that is going to direct what we’re going to become. It can’t be understated how the next 2 years are critical for the Hawks to perhaps, for the first time ever, become a legit contender. But we really need to get a big name or two in this fa class to continue that development. Striking out and walking away with overpaid, mediocre veteran signings is really a bad sign for us. We should right now be attractive enough with a crazy talented point guard, blossoming young power forward, solid defensive vet center,  and promising young wings to attract Hayward, Bogdan, and or Danilo. 

What it means, is that the organization can't be reluctant to give up one of the kids.  Collins name got thrown around as soon as he was ready to get his money, which is NOT a good look for this organization.  What we need to do, is sell the "potential" of one of the up and coming kids, if we want to be serious players for some of these veteran players.

1 minute ago, Vol4ever said:

Moses was the man.  I remember when it happened.  

They were all but declared champions that year. Very similar to win LeBron and Bosh joined Wade. I had the Sports Illustrated from that season for over 20 years until it burned in a garage fire with some old LPs at my parents. The cover was the picture of the team and the title was The Atlanta Airforce I believe.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

They were all but declared champions that year. Very similar to win LeBron and Bosh joined Wade. I had the Sports Illustrated from that season for over 20 years until it burned in a garage fire with some old LPs at my parents. The cover was the picture of the team and the title was The Atlanta Airforce I believe.

Yes i remember that also.  It was an exciting time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I have a T-shirt from those days with the "Atlanta's Airforce: Nothing Can Stop Us" slogan on it. I was wearing it one day at Manuel's Tavern and Steve Holman came right up to me and pointed on my chest and said "NOW THAT'S A NICE SHIRT".... I knew it was him just from the voice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Atlanta . . there you go.

Sacramento has paid it's top free agent in Collins' draft class the max. And didn't even blink to do so

You might as well do the same, seeing that Collins' camp can make a damn good case that he's top 5 in this draft class right now

• Mitchell
  • Tatum
  • Bam
  • Collins

Yes, you will also have to pay Trae the max as well.  That's the cost of tanking.  You eventually have to pay your stars.

So pay Collins.

• Fox
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

To pass some time waiting.......

Who is the biggest free agent the Hawks have ever signed and how long ago was it? 

Dikembe Mutombo. A total surprise when they signed him. Shipped Grant Long and Stacey 'don't make me shoot the ball' Augmon to create room for him under the cap and no one in town cared. The first sign that REAL players would actually come here after the Nique for Manning fiasco. Their biggest signing since...

Moses Malone. We really thought that he was the missing piece to take the Hawks over the top, especially after they traded for Reggie Theus in the draft. If you looked up the attendance numbers in '88-89, I wasn't alone. Then Willis got hurt, Theus and Fratello couldn't get along, and, well, we all know the story...

• Like 1