• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency 2020!!

capstone21

• Premium Member

I think Jaylen Brown is a good comp. 

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/10/22/20926794/jaylen-brown-extension-boston-celtics-future

...the benefits of getting something done outweighed everything that could go wrong had they let this hang over the season, one year after they were the face of NBA dysfunction. Instead of waiting the year out and letting Brown hit restricted free agency — where his hometown Atlanta Hawks will have more than enough cap space — Boston locked the former No. 3 overall pick up at a steep price that better reflects future potential than past production.

The opportunity cost was low, too. The Celtics won’t be players in free agency for quite some time. What this does is afford them the type of stability and control that appeals to every front office. And in a big picture sense, the money is more than an investment in everything Jaylen does on the court over the next four years. It will also enter the room whenever both parties next sit down to negotiate his third contract...

At the other end of the spectrum, Brown’s contract also doubles as a hefty trade chip, should a disgruntled star emerge over the next few years...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Laugh all you want. The team controls JC. It makes little sense to extend him now. More info is always better than less info. Another season of data will help inform their decision. I'm not saying don't extend him. Just that now isn't the time. 

I don't care what message it sends to JC. If the Hawks want him long term they can sign him in a year. 

If that was the case, the should've said so.  Don't even talk about an extension before the season, if this was going to be their play. 

Surely they didn't think they could get him at 4 yr / 90 mill or 5 yr / 110 mill number?  Siakam got 4 / 129.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member

For discussion purposes, here's what a team could offer JC next year:

Year 1 2 3 4
Salary $28.10 $29.51 $30.91 $32.32

And here's what JC is thinking of when he hears max:

Year 1 2 3 4 5
Salary $28.10 $30.35 $32.60 $34.84 $37.09

(With a 5th year ETO and eligibility for raises each year for making an All-NBA team).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Watchman said:

If I am on a team, and they don't offer me a long term contract, to me, it implies that they don't respect me that much.  I think Collins is deserving of a max or near max long term deal.  20/10 guys who shoot 58%/40%/80% don't grow on trees.  

He's the first one to have ever done that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

And here's a deal I think both the Hawks and JC would consider:

Year 1 2 3 4 5
Salary $28.10 $28.10 $28.10 $28.10 $28.10

(With the 5th year ETO and some eligibility for the raises).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

6 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

At the other end of the spectrum, Brown’s contract also doubles as a hefty trade chip, should a disgruntled star emerge over the next few years...

And THIS is definitely the other side of the coin.

If that disgruntled star is Giannis, we would have Collins already extended, and could use him as a trade piece for a deal. This is also why the inflated contracts of Gallinari and potentially Bodganovic are extremely important.  In a sign and trade scenario for Giannis, he's probably commanding close to 45 - 50 mill per year.  If it took Gallinari + Collins + draft picks to get Giannis, we could pull that off without completely gutting the team.  Might have to give up either Reddish or Hunter too, but you're still deep enough to field a championship level team led by 2 All-NBA players.

PG - Trae

G - Bogan

F - Reddish/Hunter

F - Giannis

C - Capela

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

For discussion purposes, here's what a team could offer JC next year:

Year 1 2 3 4
Salary $28.10 $29.51 $30.91 $32.32

And here's what JC is thinking of when he hears max:

Year 1 2 3 4 5
Salary $28.10 $30.35 $32.60 $34.84 $37.09

(With a 5th year ETO and eligibility for raises up to 5% each year for making an All-NBA team).

So I'm assuming the latter is the deal that De'Aaron Fox received.

I guess the Hawks are trying to get cute, and offer something like 5/140.