• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency 2020!!

capstone21

• Moderators

Full max is not remotely in the discussion. $195M is too much.  Bear in mind that JC missed nearly half of last season due to PEDs.  If he demands too much, you wait and make sure he doesn’t suffer a huge injury, get strike 2, or generally regress where his market is lower.  I don’t think the risk of him not wanting a max deal next summer is very significant.

ideally we get a contract done for the right price this offseason. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is our team for the next year at $100.  We'll be locked in at $112 million (projected cap) with John's $12 mill caphold going into next season.

Not sure how much it will matter in the grand scheme of things, but there is a chance Dunn doesn't pick up his player option after this season, so we'd have about an extra 5 mil in space.

1 minute ago, bird_dirt said:

Not sure how much it will matter in the grand scheme of things, but there is a chance Dunn doesn't pick up his player option after this season, so we'd have about an extra 5 mil in space.

Very good chance cuz I think he'll outplay that 5 Mil.... but that's why I hope he opts in at that rate. 

5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I said team friendly. When you look at what other bigs got a few years ago, that's competive.  What did Bam get?

They're debating whether to max out Bam, in order to keep enough cap space to sign Giannis outright.  They're going to play a game of chicken that they might lose.

29 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And THIS is definitely the other side of the coin.

If that disgruntled star is Giannis, we would have Collins already extended, and could use him as a trade piece for a deal. This is also why the inflated contracts of Gallinari and potentially Bodganovic are extremely important.  In a sign and trade scenario for Giannis, he's probably commanding close to 45 - 50 mill per year.  If it took Gallinari + Collins + draft picks to get Giannis, we could pull that off without completely gutting the team.  Might have to give up either Reddish or Hunter too, but you're still deep enough to field a championship level team led by 2 All-NBA players.

PG - Trae

G - Bogan

F - Reddish/Hunter

F - Giannis

C - Capela

Capela would clog the paint for Giannis..

4 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I’m trying to understand why you have been so down on him for so long

Because he's not that good. He's a stat guy like Josh Smith. Not an impact guy. I hate the idea of overpaying a stat guy and only one rookie contract can get a 5 year deal. We would have to choose between Trae, Cam, Hunter, OO, and JC. That player is obviously Trae. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

After you see him brick shots you'll feel differently.

Haha. Good point. I hope he doesn't do too much shooting... what I love about Dunn, is his propensity to sneak behind the post player after his man made a post lob, and slap at the ball for the steal. I'm really hoping that rubs off on Trae. Kris is really good at it. 

• Like 1

I knew Bembry wouldn't be back, but it was still weird seeing him sign with a new team. I also forgot Schefter reported on things other than the NFL so that probably had something to do with it. 

I can see him being a solid rotation guy for the Raptors. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Because he's not that good. He's a stat guy like Josh Smith. Not an impact guy. I hate the idea of overpaying a stat guy and only one rookie contract can get a 5 year deal. We would have to choose between Trae, Cam, Hunter, OO, and JC. That player is obviously Trae. 

Not true, I believe they can give the 5 year max deal every other year.  I dont think they can do it consecutively. I'll have to look this one up.

Edit: You can have two designated rookies on your team eligible for five year extensions.  You can still sign a player during rfa to a five year contract.  

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1