• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

14 Hawks Players Receive COVID Vaccine

RedDawg#8

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31091224/atlanta-hawks-get-14-players-vaccinated-covid-19%3fplatform=amp

Let me tell you why this is big news, besides the obvious.

1. I have gotten the vaccine, Moderna. Every person that I talked to including the nurses and myself have confirmed that you will have SOME kind of flu like reaction to the vaccine. For some people, the reaction happened after the first dose, some after the second. My flu symptoms came not long after my 2nd dose and had me in bed for 3/4's of the next day. My mother, her's came after the 1st dose and we had her stay with us as a precaution.

I say this because we don't have many days off and these guys could all react differently to it while on the road. Something to keep an eye on if guys appear to be overly sluggish against LA. Good news is the symptoms disappear quickly even though they hit hard.

2. They say all of the staff, but only 14 players were able to qualify because they had a BMI above 25%. So, does that mean Trae, Cam, and BG maybe, were too skinny to qualify for it? Which would suck because unless EVERYONE on the team gets it, you still have to act like nobody is vaccinated, which would not be worth it in the end. There are no mask mandates or social distancing requirements if you are only around people that are vaccinated, but just 1 person not vaccinated means you still have to follow guidelines.

Other than those observations, good for them for stepping up. The article says New Orleans was the other team to get the Vaccine. It will go a long way to getting the league back to more normalcy sooner than later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

I have had both my covid-19 shots. Moderna.  Didn't bother me at all.  Forgot all about them unless someone mentioned them, like right now.

:smug:

Well darn Mule, you clearly are twice the man as me lol

First one didn't phase me either, but that 2nd dose... yeah I was blindsided for sure

• Sad 1

• Moderators

So the doctor's here can weigh in on it but what i read said that the side effects are really the immune system getting triggered by the vaccine and going into action with fever, headaches and what not.   The side effects of the vaccine are often worse in younger people because their immune system is stronger than us older folks so it reacts in a stronger way.   

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

High BMI is supposed to be for fat people. But when youre a tall, strong, muscular guy you will have a high BMI too. 

Just realized how many people are over 25%.   Unless i'm using the wrong calculator.  5'11" 180lbs is over 25.  Is that right?

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

The actual correct way to do it would be body fat percentage, not BMI, but public health does not go by body fat percentage as it's too difficult to calculate. So they use BMI, which just compares weight to height. Also BMI does not  work well for exceptionally tall people either, which of course most NBA players are in 99 percentile. 

Edited by bleachkit
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

So the doctor's here can weigh in on it but what i read said that the side effects are really the immune system getting triggered by the vaccine and going into action with fever, headaches and what not.   The side effects of the vaccine are often worse in younger people because their immune system is stronger than us older folks so it reacts in a stronger way.   

This makes sense as those were my symptoms from like midnight to like 4pm the next day after my 2nd shot. It also sounds like what the nurses were describing to me. She said that if a person was previously exposed to Covid they tended to react stronger to the first vaccine because their immune system recognized it. And those who hadn't been exposed tended to react more to the 2nd dosage because their immune system was trained after the first dose.

The age thing makes sense in a lot of ways along those lines.

54 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Just realized how many people are over 25%.   Unless i'm using the wrong calculator.  5'11" 180lbs is over 25.  Is that right?

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

So it definitely sounds like Trae, Cam, and BG would be the 3 who fall under the 25%

By that calculator, Trae is around 23%, Cam 23% and I didn't do BG.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

So it definitely sounds like Trae, Cam, and BG would be the 3 who fall under the 25%

By that calculator, Trae is around 23%, Cam 23% and I didn't do BG.

going by reported weight, which is probably wrong, Capela just barely makes it and Snell is actually under 25 but i'm doubting Snell's 213.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-tells-teams-rules-will-be-relaxed-for-vaccinated-persons

This will be a huge benefit going forward. The players and staff that are vaccinated will get a lot of their quality of life back. And as a team, since at least 85% of total personnel will be vaccinated, the team can operate more normally around each other at practice and on flights. This may become a huge advantage as we finish the year. No more waking up early even on off days to be tested, guys can leave the hotels more freely, etc...

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-tells-teams-rules-will-be-relaxed-for-vaccinated-persons

This will be a huge benefit going forward. The players and staff that are vaccinated will get a lot of their quality of life back. And as a team, since at least 85% of total personnel will be vaccinated, the team can operate more normally around each other at practice and on flights. This may become a huge advantage as we finish the year. No more waking up early even on off days to be tested, guys can leave the hotels more freely, etc...

Hopefully we won't get guys laid up by the second vaccine dose.  Still well worth it.