• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We Consistently Get The Max

sillent

If there's one thing I can say about our Atlanta Hawks is we get the max out of our players. I don't know if they're showing off for the women of our city or what but we get the max out of our players.

From my fav player Dominique to Josh Smith and Jeff Teague (now Cam and honestly the whole squad although I'd still rather have Bol Bol over Bruno) no matter who has been on our team if we got them early we've gotten there best yrs with exception of probably only Jason Terry.

Of course TMac, Stackhouse, Dwight and company we may not have gotten the best of them because of the time when they arrived but in most cases we've received the best from our players meaning they weren't better after they left us.

From my favorites to the solids Steve Smith, Joe Johnson,, Al Horford, Dikembe Mutombo, Shareef, Theo Ratliff (When Available), Nazr (close tie with 76ers but not really), Isaiah Rider, Jim Jackson, Marvin Williams, Josh Childress, Ivan Johnson, Al Harrington (He was good on the Pacers but the man here), Dennis Schröder, Paul Millsap (see Al Harrington replace Pacers with Utah) and so on and so on. 

Jamal Crawford and Lou were pretty much solid wherever they went but overall we consistently have a track record of getting the best out of our players 

Even Rasheed Wallace put up a triple double for the one game he played for us if I'm not mistaken. Bobby Sura, LaPhonzo Ellis the list really goes on for real.

Saying all of that to say if we get the max out of our current team not trying to jinx it but that championship timeline might be even more present then future. I've stated it before but Travis Schlenk has done a great job from top to bottom with  building this team and that even goes as far as the coaching staff having coach Lloyd and Nate and knowing when to cut the ties. We are a champion caliber team meaning we have all the pieces necessary especially when healthy and the chemistry is getting better and better. I wouldn't be surprised if we actually won the chip this yr and surprise the world and ourselves on just how good we actually are and can be. To top it off we're still missing DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish who I believe (I know it may seem far fetched now) will surpass the level of Kawhi and Paul George respectively. They may already be the two best defenders in the league on the wing and with a guy like Capela, Nathan Knight, Okongwu, JC, Khris Dunn, Tony Snell,don't sleep on Huerter, Bogi, Trae, Gallo and the rest and you don't have a weakness at any end or any position on the floor. We're Championship built and if the players we have now maximize their time here we might see something special in the near future. Looking at the age and depth of our young core (Trae, JC??, Kevin Huerter, Hunter, Reddish, Okongwu, Knight, Skylar Mayes and Brandon Goodwin) we are destined to grow, get better and do great things for a long time!! 

What we see is what we get because we get the best of the rest of a player when they come to the A. 

I know we're going to be given a nick name. "Splash City" has been shot down which we still are but that's cool we the "A Squad". When players are drafted or come here they bring they're "A" Game.

• Like 3

LOL . . the legend of Rasheed Wallace's 1 game here keeps growing and growing as the years go by.

The main thing that Rasheed did in that game, was play with defensive effort and was ultra aggressive in getting up his shots. He didn't dog it in that game.  And I think we Hawks fans appreciated it.

Numbers wise . . . eh . . . it was a poor man's Josh Smith type of game

8 - 24 FG . . . 1- 6 3FG 

20 pts - 6 rebs - 2 asst - 5 blks

The guy who was outstanding in that game, was Stephen Jackson

25 pts - 7 rebs - 6 asst

9 - 18 FG . . 5 - 8 3FG

Jason Terry was pretty good too

22 pts - 6 asst - 4 stls

8 - 17 FG . . 5 - 7 3FG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . the legend of Rasheed Wallace's 1 game here keeps growing and growing as the years go by.

The main thing that Rasheed did in that game, was play with defensive effort and was ultra aggressive in getting up his shots. He didn't dog it in that game.  And I think we Hawks fans appreciated it.

Numbers wise . . . eh . . . it was a poor man's Josh Smith type of game

8 - 24 FG . . . 1- 6 3FG 

20 pts - 6 rebs - 2 asst - 5 blks

The guy who was outstanding in that game, was Stephen Jackson

25 pts - 7 rebs - 6 asst

9 - 18 FG . . 5 - 8 3FG

Jason Terry was pretty good too

22 pts - 6 asst - 4 stls

8 - 17 FG . . 5 - 7 3FG

I think I was at that game if I'm not mistaken a Rasheed definitely balled in real time lol but stats can out last the memory so I feel ya.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkman said:

Captain Jack was underrated during his time in Atlanta. He played with an edge and didn't back down from anybody. 

Got him on the cheap and he was very willing to prove to the world he deserved some real money. A good two way benefit there. Enjoyed his fire for us.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sillent said:

I think I was at that game if I'm not mistaken a Rasheed definitely balled in real time lol but stats can out last the memory so I feel ya.

Here's the play by play and his shot chart:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/pbp/200402180NJN.html

https://www.espn.com/nba/game/_/gameId/240218017

It looks like his 4th quarter is what brought his OK statistical game back down to Earth.  

Rasheed's shooting by quarter:

• 1st:    2 - 4 FG
  • 2nd:   3 - 7 FG
  • 3rd:    3 - 8 FG
  • 4th:    0 - 5 FG

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It looks like his 4th quarter is what brought his OK statistical game back down to Earth.  

Rasheed's shooting by quarter:

• 1st:    2 - 4 FG
  • 2nd:   3 - 7 FG
  • 3rd:    3 - 8 FG
  • 4th:    0 - 5 FG

:hmmmph:

Layout and Printing Map > Editing Legends and Graphic Elements > Inserting  Legend Element

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

To the OP @sillent

I think there are 2 things your point.

1) Most of those guys were here during the prime of their career from a age and physical standpoint. Everyone has a window of time for their "best years " and their's happened to overlap in Atlanta either on the front or back end of it.

2) I think the lack of star presence in Atlanta has traditionally forced us to overestimate the abilities of the guys we have had in uniform. Forced ownership to sell to the fans that JJ was on the same level as other superstars for example, out of necessity. We took guys who probably peaked at a B+, 88 overall, level of performance and convinced each other that they were really A level (overall 92 or above ) types, and just a hair below the very very best. 

When those guys left Atlanta or right before they got here, they were either just entering or exiting their primes, and they probably weren't as good as we convinced ourselves they were. When they went to other teams, they were rightfully put in to roles that better suited their actual abilities, and used NEXT to superstar level players instead of being asked to perform as such. 

I don't think there is any magic sauce on the wings other than ownerships general inability to put superstars in an Atlanta uniform and as a result, getting the most out of the All Star level guys that we could get by providing them everything they could ever need to succeed outside of an actual Batman to run next to.

• Like 1

Did we get the max out of Josh Smith? 

Maybe because I enjoy torment, but this thread makes me wonder who went through Atlanta and had a much better career afterwards?  Surprisingly I can't come up with a good answer.  Boris Diaw?  Sheed doesn't count, sorry.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Maybe because I enjoy torment, but this thread makes me wonder who went through Atlanta and had a much better career afterwards?  Surprisingly I can't come up with a good answer.  Boris Diaw?  Sheed doesn't count, sorry.  

Definitely Boris. Marvy Marv lasted longer in the NBA than I anticipated. Al was the same his first year in Boston. Stephen Jackson in IND, Lou Williams and Jason Terry.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Yeah Boris Diaw might be another exception.

• Moderators
On 5/10/2021 at 5:07 PM, Final_quest said:

We definitely got more out of him than anyone else did but we got significantly less than his max potential if he would have maximized his strengths and minimized his weaknesses instead of doing the opposite.

A couple Hawks better after they left us:

Dennis Schroeder has been better these last two years than his best in 6 years in Atlanta.

THJr has had his best seasons in Dallas.

I'll second Lou Williams and Boris Diaw for this list.

Jordan Crawford was massively better elsewhere.

Al Harrington had 3 years better than anything in Atlanta by WS, BPM and VORP.  (Similar better numbers for several post-ATL seasons by Stephen Jackson).

Jet's best years were also in Dallas.

I'm sure there is more.  Diaw is probably the biggest difference due to how mismanaged he was during his time here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

We definitely got more out of him than anyone else did but we got significantly less than his max potential if he would have maximized his strengths and minimized his weaknesses instead of doing the opposite.

A couple Hawks better after they left us:

Dennis Schröder has been better these last two years than his best in 6 years in Atlanta.

THJr has had his best seasons in Dallas.

I'll second Lou Williams and Boris Diaw for this list.

Jordan Crawford was massively better elsewhere.

Al Harrington had 3 years better than anything in Atlanta by WS, BPM and VORP.  (Similar better numbers for several post-ATL seasons by Stephen Jackson).

Jet's best years were also in Dallas.

I'm sure there is more.  Diaw is probably the biggest difference due to how mismanaged he was during his time here.

Pretty good summary.  All things considered there is not much shame in this list.  No one went on to be an all star.  We didn't let go of a Steve Nash or Harden for example.

I think Dennis matured about as expected, but I haven't followed his development all that closely.  Diaw certainly had a much better career after Atlanta, but we got the better player in the trade.  We gave up a lot for Joe Johnson, and we got a lot in return.

Missing on Chris Paul is the one that haunts me but draft misses are a different category.  If missing on Luka ends up being a mistake, at least Trae is a killer consolation prize.  

• Like 2