Ten-Year NBA Net Rating Rankings (Infographics For All 30 Teams)

NBASupes

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It does and doesn't work. The Jazz are proof you don't have to tank but only one team (Miami) in the east moved up without tanking. Orlando did exactly what Jazz tried to do and failed badly. Boston and Miami is the only team in the East that did not tank but they killed Brooklyn in a deal where they got premium picks, so in reality, they benefited like a tanking team. Miami just did like Utah but did hit home runs in FA with Jimmy Butler. 

Philly tank was four years which seemed like an eternity but it worked out. In the east, it seems like tanking heavy is the only way or killing someone in a trade which is extremely hard to do now. 

Spurs anti tank only works with superstars. When you have Duncan and Kawhi Leonard, it worked. Without them, they have been on the outskirts. 

Hawks tank has worked. My big worry in February was we were on pace to be worse off than the Highlight Factory Hawks which we knew were frauds even then. Both teams had 2nd half success due to Bibby trade and for us, the Nate replacing LP. We finished tied for 4th and they finished 8th seed. Took Boston who was #1 in the NBA to 7. We need to beat NY. 

Sacramento is proof that small markets who draft poorly can't recovery unless they have an elite front office. Small markets must draft well or hit home runs on trades. Minnesota is proof that you can hit on stars but if you can't build a roster around them or hire a good staff, it's still useless. 

Coaching is not underrated when it comes to regular season success. 

Chemistry and fit is critical for regular season success. 

Yea coaching a TON to do with the highlight factory hawks not really making much noise. Especially that 2010 team was absolutely stacked with Jamal Crawford, Josh Smith, Al Horford, and Joe Johnson all either at their absolute peaks or close to it, an objectively more talented team individually than the 2015 team, yet they made (bad) history against an Orlando team that had just one star and got handled the very next series.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, NBASupes said:
Beyond strictly looking at wins and losses, net rating gives a clear picture of team performance. The following infographics show the trajectory of every team in the NBA in terms of how they rank in the category.

Atlanta Hawks

E1sH8WqXEAk0bI3?format=jpg&name=small

Boston Celtics

E1sH9OtX0AMO2Ly?format=jpg&name=small

Brooklyn Nets

E1sH_PCXoAInvok?format=jpg&name=small

Charlotte Hornets

E1sIAtqWYAA4sWK?format=jpg&name=small

Chicago Bulls

E1sIuhlXMAAzimA?format=jpg&name=small

Cleveland Cavaliers

E1sIvw1XIAML-bt?format=jpg&name=small

Dallas Mavericks

E1sIxJKX0Aked8v?format=jpg&name=small

Denver Nuggets

E1sIyrXX0AQdFO-?format=jpg&name=small

Detroit Pistons

E1sJQ0zXIA4aoug?format=jpg&name=small

Golden State Warriors

E1sJTSZWUAYSuhO?format=jpg&name=small

Houston Rockets

E1sJUzAWEAkqlEq?format=jpg&name=small

Indiana Pacers

E1sJWQPXoAEIpmp?format=jpg&name=small

Los Angeles Clippers

E1sJol3WQAICrU6?format=jpg&name=small

Los Angeles Lakers

E1sJqQmXsAUfvJw?format=jpg&name=small

Memphis Grizzlies

E1sJriNWUAoPliH?format=jpg&name=small

Miami Heat

E1sJs0eWEAQzAsP?format=jpg&name=small

Milwaukee Bucks

E1sJ8_cXEAgFNHz?format=jpg&name=small

Minnesota Timberwolves

E1sJ-b7XMAAQlm7?format=jpg&name=small

New Orleans Pelicans

E1sKACDXMAEHWnZ?format=jpg&name=small

New York Knicks

E1sKBrWXoAMF27N?format=jpg&name=small

Oklahoma City Thunder

E1sKY3wXoAMZ9Ps?format=jpg&name=small

Orlando Magic

E1sKaXbX0AUPx_T?format=jpg&name=small

Philadelphia 76ers

E1sKbxrWUAIB5WS?format=jpg&name=small

Phoenix Suns

E1sKgOfWYAY2tin?format=jpg&name=small

Portland Trail Blazers

E1sK1HOWUAcq1MH?format=jpg&name=small

Sacramento Kings

E1sK2ytX0Ac0T8E?format=jpg&name=small

San Antonio Spurs

E1sK4OsWUAoma9Z?format=jpg&name=small

Toronto Raptors

E1sK5utXIAAYx8D?format=jpg&name=small

Utah Jazz

E1sLg4QXoAMt7CM?format=jpg&name=small

Washington Wizards

E1sLiRuXoAokGHO?format=jpg&name=small

Hawks did well with their complete rebuild but wow, some teams did awful with it. 

This is really cool stuff, I cannot imagine how happy Phoenix fans are right now lol... us and the Knicks are a fitting first round matchup with comparable jumps this season.  Lebron effect is clear here looking at the Heat/Cavs graphs

• Like 3

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It does and doesn't work. The Jazz are proof you don't have to tank but only one team (Miami) in the east moved up without tanking. Orlando did exactly what Jazz tried to do and failed badly. Boston and Miami is the only team in the East that did not tank but they killed Brooklyn in a deal where they got premium picks, so in reality, they benefited like a tanking team. Miami just did like Utah but did hit home runs in FA with Jimmy Butler. 

Philly tank was four years which seemed like an eternity but it worked out. In the east, it seems like tanking heavy is the only way or killing someone in a trade which is extremely hard to do now. 

Spurs anti tank only works with superstars. When you have Duncan and Kawhi Leonard, it worked. Without them, they have been on the outskirts. 

Hawks tank has worked. My big worry in February was we were on pace to be worse off than the Highlight Factory Hawks which we knew were frauds even then. Both teams had 2nd half success due to Bibby trade and for us, the Nate replacing LP. We finished tied for 4th and they finished 8th seed. Took Boston who was #1 in the NBA to 7. We need to beat NY. 

Sacramento is proof that small markets who draft poorly can't recovery unless they have an elite front office. Small markets must draft well or hit home runs on trades. Minnesota is proof that you can hit on stars but if you can't build a roster around them or hire a good staff, it's still useless. 

Coaching is not underrated when it comes to regular season success. 

Chemistry and fit is critical for regular season success. 

I think tanking can work but you obviously need a good front office and good scouting.  It's a reasonable option for teams that aren't big FA destinations.  I think you hit the nail on the head with having superstars though.  If you can land 1-2 players that are high value maxes, you can continue to compete with them.  If you land players at high value who are not max contracts, they will eventually need to get paid and you lose them or they're no longer good value (even if they're still good players).  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I think tanking can work but you obviously need a good front office and good scouting.  It's a reasonable option for teams that aren't big FA destinations.  I think you hit the nail on the head with having superstars though.  If you can land 1-2 players that are high value maxes, you can continue to compete with them.  If you land players at high value who are not max contracts, they will eventually need to get paid and you lose them or they're no longer good value (even if they're still good players).  

Tanking can work if your lucky and have a good front office. Same is true for retooling. At the end of the day if you are a team like the Hawks that couldn't get a top free agent if the lives of the entire front office depended on it, there aren't really many options if you want a prayer at a championship outside of tanking. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I've been a KB hater for a long time but I give him massive respeck for paying up on his bet.

Some others .......... who shall remain nameless (and on whom we may need to start thinking of doing a wellness check 🤨), didn't step up and pay the fee like he did.

Agree.  Props to sturt, benhillboy, and kb for all being good sports and living up to their bets over the last month or so!

:clap:

(I'm sure people know this but kb isn't really on board with tanking.  I just have to milk it while I can.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It does?

- signed,

Sacramento

Bad management will fail regardless of whether they choose to tank, retool, invest in FA, etc.  Why?  Because they are bad at what they do and when  you make poor decisions in the draft, in trades and in free agency there is no philosophy to team building that can possibly overcome that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Bad management will fail regardless of whether they choose to tank, retool, invest in FA, etc.  Why?  Because they are bad at what they do and when  you make poor decisions in the draft, in trades and in free agency there is no philosophy to team building that can possibly overcome that.

The greatest system or philosophy in the world will fail if not executed properly.  That's why this whole debate (in which I also participated) was so pointless. 

Tanking CAN work. Retooling CAN work. It's all about the execution.  If you make the right draft picks and complement them with the right FA signings at the right time, tanking works. If you draft poorly, it'll never work.  But the same applies to FA signing and trades. 

The strategy itself is and always was far less important than the execution of said strategy.  

• Like 2

I respect the Heat, Pacers, Blazers, and Spurs for consistently putting out a watchable product for their fans.  Business sense aside I just can’t see how you sleep at night knowingly putting out one that isn’t.  Just spitballing but I’m guessing front offices with a strong presence of prideful former players don’t take the bottoming out route.  

I think if you truly have good, serious people in ownership, management/ scouting, and coaching it’ll all fall into place sooner than later in spite of hurdles in free agency and the talent pool of the draft.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1