• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Worst Draft Pick...

Diesel

43 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Also Tyrone Hill. Remember the Warriors got him with the very next pick from Xavier. Always liked him.

@kg01 Dollins? :er:

Forgot about Tyrone Hill, who had a solid NBA career. Folks at the time were screaming for an upgrade in guard play from Rivers and Spud without noticing that Kevin Willis also needed some help in the paint as well (Koncak and Rasmussen wasn't it).

Rumeal was supposed to eventually be Rivers' heir apparent but anyone with a working set of eyes could clearly see that he was gravy-training his game-winning FTs to win the national title and his ability to hand the ball off to Glen Rice, Loy Vaught, and Terry Mills before getting the hell out to the way. That was especially evident in his senior year at UM after Rice and Mills had left for the NBA. Even back then, I always thought of him as being criminally overrated by Babcock and was proven right...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dejay said:

Rumeal

I also think he was a lot like Tim Hardaway who had just finished up a really good season with the Warriors. They were similar size with similar movements. On court tho, 2 diff players by far.

10 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I also think he was a lot like Tim Hardaway who had just finished up a really good season with the Warriors. They were similar size with similar movements. On court tho, 2 diff players by far.

I saw both of them live. The only thing they had in common was size and that's about it. Rumeal couldn't shoot himself out of a wet paper bag but still had a 'gotta get mine first' attitude, which really works well as a point guard (note sarcasm)...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Realizing now that I should have prefaced this screenshot to say the order of listing is by VORP... not by order of selection from the 74 draft.

So, if you looked at it originally and thought you remembered Bill Walton was the #1 pick that year, you weren't wrong. Bill Walton was arguably the most highly-anticipated #1 pick of my NBA fan lifetime, with the primary competition probably being the other center from UCLA, that Alcindor guy.

2021-06-17_22-04-26.png.24ad5e3d218486b8

Many of the other names I'm reading in this thread so far were either high picks that, at least, merited some starts and accumulated some VORP over time, or low picks that were generally understood to profile as higher-risk and so it wasn't a big surprise when they didn't do much.

But in 74, we blew it big-time.

If Sojourner wasn't the most wasted pick of ATL Hawks history, the guy picked just 3 slots ahead of him, Henderson, would have been.

How fortunate Pat Williams--yes, that Pat Williams who was a long-time GM in more recent years for the Sixers and Magic--hit on that second round pick, right? Not just for what John Drew became to us on the court, but for the asset he became in helping facilitate acquiring Nique.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dejay said:

I saw both of them live. The only thing they had in common was size and that's about it. Rumeal couldn't shoot himself out of a wet paper bag but still had a 'gotta get mine first' attitude, which really works well as a point guard (note sarcasm)...

Nice. True but Rumeal Glen Rice and company had come off a run and didn’t rumeal make some FT’s to clinch for Michigan?

• Moderators

With the drafting incompetent GMs over the years, we have so many to choose from.  This should make you appreciate TS:

1981- #4 overall Al Wood over Larry Nance and Tom Chambers (among others).  Played 19 games for Atlanta and averaged 4.8 points.

1982-84 Good PIcks

1985 - #5 overall Jon Koncak over Karl Malone (and also Detlef Schrempf, Joe Dumars, Chris Mullin, Charles Oakley, etc.).

1986 - #19 Billy Thompson (traded for Mike McGee who averaged 10.4 points and 4.6 points for the Hawks over two seasons) over Jeff Hornacek, Dennis Rodman, Mark Price, Arvydas Sabonis and Nate McMillian

1987 #21 Dallas Comegys (traded for a future 2nd rounder who became Les Jepsen) over Reggie Lewis

1988 None

1989 #23 Roy Marble over Vlade Divac and Cliff Robinson

1990 #10 Rumeal Robinson over Elden Campbell and Toni Kukoc

1991 #9 Stacey Augmon over Dale Davis and Terrell Brandon

1992 #10 Adam Keefe over Robert Horry, PJ Brown, and Latrell Sprewell

1993 #15 Doug Edwards over Sam Cassell and Nick Van Exel

1994 None

1995 #16 Alan Henderson over Michael Finley and Theo Ratliff

1996 Priest Lauderdale was garbage but no big misses

1997 #22 Ed Gray over Stephen Jackson and Bobby Jackson

1998 #20 Roshown McLeod over Rashard Lewis, Cuttino Mobley and Al Harrington

1999 #17 Cal Bowdler, #20 Dion Glover over Manu Ginobili and Andrei Kirilenko

2000 #6 DerMarr Johnson over Hedo Turkoglu, Jamal Crawford, Michael Redd and Jamaal Magloire

2001 #27 pick Traded over Tony Parker, Mehmet Okur (had to mention this because Babcock was locked in on a PG at 27 and focused on Parker but then just passed on him because you can't get comfortable with an international player right?  This was a double down on Babcock's dislike of foreign players as the Hawks also traded the #3 pick Pau Gasol).  Fing Babock.

2002 None

2003 Good pick (if wasted here)

2004 #6 Josh Childress over Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng, Al Jefferson and Kevin Martin

2005 #2 Marvin Williams over Chris Paul, Deron Williams and David Lee (to Marvin's credit he is #5 overall in win shares for this class)

2006 #5 Shelden Williams over Brandon Roy, Kyle Lowry, Paul Millsap, and Rajon Rondo

2007 Good pick

2008 None

2009 Good pick

2010 None

2011 None

2012 #23 John Jenkins over Draymond Green and Khris Middleton

2013 #15 Lucas Nogueira over Rudy Gobert

2014 #15 Adreian Payne over Nikola Jokic and Clint Capela

2015 #15 Kelly Oubre Jr. (traded for Tim Hardaway Jr.) over Montrezl Harrell

2016 #21 DeAndre Bembry over Pascal Siakam and Malcom Brogdon

Hallelujah the TS era arrives with the drafting of John Collins in 2017!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Nice. True but Rumeal Glen Rice and company had come off a run and didn’t rumeal make some FT’s to clinch for Michigan?

I mentioned that in my original post. He gravy-trained that and getting to ride shotgun next to Glen Rice, Loy Vaught, and Terry Mills into getting drafted high by Babs...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Probably Omari Spellman. He was supposed to be a part of this young core we have right now if he didn't have weight issues.

I wanted Mitchell Robinson so bad..lol

Worst pick has to be Marvin..

Letting the world know we were taking Shellhead and then actually doing it is a close 2nd..

I hated the Chills picks too..smh..

Tons of honorable mentions available.........(Acie Law,  John Jenkins, Cal Bowdler, John Kontract, Roy Marble, etc..)

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, BangHolman said:

Shelden Williams, no doubt. He wasn't even seen as a lottery pick by some. In Marvin's case, hind sight was not kind to him and he never became the star he had the talent to be, but he was the consensus #2 pick in that draft. I wanted CP3, but there were still questions around him, clearly he answered them. Marvin also had a solid career, and Shelden did not.

Also think Acie Law IV deserves a shout out in this thread. 

My thoughts exactly. I was honestly surprised you were the first person to mention Acie in this thread. Definitely not our worst pick ever, but wound up being a lottery pick who was awful. Getting Al in the same draft made it easier to swallow I guess.

I really thought that Acie Law would be a better player and was wrong. And I remember being in a grad school class when they announced Shelden and going off about it on the chat here. Candace was a much better player (probably dunked on him before getting divorced)...

• Thanks 1