• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Worst Draft Pick...

Diesel

I don't think Marvin in and of himself was so terrible, but the worst part of selecting him was missing on CP. 

Shelden was terrible no matter how you slice it. Granted, it was a terrible draft so it's not like there was much we missed on, but that was the most boneheaded pick that could've been made. "The Landlord" gets my worst pick vote.

I liked DeMarr alright. He wasn't great, but he was money from the corner. That accident destroyed any opportunity he had to grow into his potential. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I don't think Marvin in and of himself was so terrible, but the worst part of selecting him was missing on CP. 

Shelden was terrible no matter how you slice it. Granted, it was a terrible draft so it's not like there was much we missed on, but that was the most boneheaded pick that could've been made. "The Landlord" gets my worst pick vote.

I liked DeMarr alright. He wasn't great, but he was money from the corner. That accident destroyed any opportunity he had to grow into his potential. 

DeMarr was in a draft where there was nobody else who could have made us regret picking him. 

Shelden could have been Rudy Gay.. but with Joe, Childress, Smooth, and Marvin... getting Gaye would have made BK look crazy.   And BK knew that Roy was damaged Goods. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think the problem was that there was no scouting of small schools.   I mean Dumars, Oakley, Malone came from smaller programs.  But Mullins... we already had Nique. 

Yeah that makes sense.  Still don’t make it hurt any less lol.  But was SMU considered a power school at the time tho?  My knowledge of that school is a hazy picture of Larry Brown thuggin and the football program also thuggin.

• Premium Member
Just now, benhillboy said:

Yeah that makes sense.  Still don’t make it hurt any less lol.  But was SMU considered a power school at the time tho?  My knowledge of that school is a hazy picture of Larry Brown thuggin and the football program also thuggin.

Funny you should mention that...   SMU was a powerhouse in Football and it brought attention to their basketball program.  Actually, I think Koncak was the whistleblower who called out Eric Dickerson and the pony... and caused SMU to get the death penalty.  If I'm not mistaken, it's rumored that Koncak's drafting was governed by a booster.  Also his appearance on the Olympic team.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Funny you should mention that...   SMU was a powerhouse in Football and it brought attention to their basketball program.  Actually, I think Koncak was the whistleblower who called out Eric Dickerson and the pony... and caused SMU to get the death penalty.  If I'm not mistaken, it's rumored that Koncak's drafting was governed by a booster.  Also his appearance on the Olympic team.   

Well damn. 

Edited by benhillboy

1 hour ago, jbdrs said:

Adam Keefe, Sheldon Williams, Cal Bowdler come to mind...........who's the guy that came in the game with his shoes untied?

Finally remembered the guy who came in the game with his shoes untied.......Chris Washburn...but we didn't draft him. He was the third pick in the 86 draft by the Warriors. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

DeMarr was a consideration... he wasn't so bad.

Payne was traded and I don't remember what we got for him?

For My Old heads, we drafted Jon Koncak before Chris Mullin, Oakley, Schrempf, Karl Malone, Joe Dumars, AC Green, and Terry porter. 

Red Velvet!

For me it's Shellhead.

I see some people mention John Kontract... but I'ma share a story of why he's not my least favorite pick:

The year was 1990 and I was a young lad about ye' high. My father and I were at the game behind the basket closest to the hawks bench. The halftime show this evening consisted of Harry the Hawk grabbing a 5 year old boy out of the crowd and lifting him up to the basket to dunk the ball. I was that 5 year old. 

Harry raised me to the rim while I held the ball, and I stuffed it through, while grabbing the rim with my little fingers. Then came the task of looking down and seeing how high I was. I was shocked -- I'd never been that high in my life before. Harry saw me get scared and grab the rim tight to hang on for dear life. He screamed at me through his beak, "Don't worry kid I gotcha!" -- my response? "WHY T F IS THAT BIRD TALKING!?" That scared the shit outta me so I started kicking Harry in the beak, while the cheerleaders tried to give me moral support. 

Harry gave up on grabbing me / got tired of me kicking his face so he had to go into the locker room for assistance. Out comes a sprinting 7'' John Koncak with orders to get a 5 year old off the basket. I was very appreciative. 

But yea.... Shelden sucks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

Judging by how deep a given draft was, as measured by the number of who made ASGs at a draft slot below ours--and thus, the quality that could have been ours... and by VORP... and excluding the St. Louis Hawks' drafts... this one stands out...

2021-06-17_22-04-26.png

• Like 1

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, sturt said:

Judging by how deep a given draft was, as measured by the number of who made ASGs at a draft slot below ours--and thus, the quality that could have been ours... and by VORP... and excluding the St. Louis Hawks' drafts... this one stands out...

2021-06-17_22-04-26.png

Damn... John Drew was the man...

I mean....  Gardner-Webb  and we took him before Mickey Johnson, Jamaal Wilkes, Billy Knight, and Maurice Lucas??

44 minutes ago, sturt said:

2021-06-17_22-04-26.png

Had no idea BK was a top 10 pick. Musta been quite the athlete cuz it sure as hell wasn't for his brains. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iverwig said:

I’ll go with Doug Edwards

This for me. I studied the crap outta that draft and after we took him I was pissed and threw away all my note cards I had on players. 

Koncak- I had just become a fan but I knew Koncak wasn’t gonna amount to anything.

• Thanks 1

I was also gonna say the Keefe. I saw Keefe live at Stanford. The guy I wanted that year was baby Jordan Harold Miner and Walt “the wizard” Williams. I remember David Aldridge covering the draft and I really loved that draft. I also liked Lee Mayberry a bit. None of the three I liked were too memorable in the pro game. 

If anyone wanted to know why Nique had no help, why Mutombo and the gang wasn't more competitive in the playoffs, or how Joe Johnson could leverage himself to a max contract extension due to the lack of talent on the roster, the Hawks' draft history has a lot to do with it.

Keith Edmondson over Fat Lever, Ricky Pierce, and Sleepy Floyd

Al Wood over Tom Chambers and Rolando Blackman

Don Collins over Jeff Ruland (a bad man before his knee injuries)

Jon Koncak over (insert All-Star and/or Hall of Famer here)

Adam Keefe over Latrell Sprewell and Robert Horry

Rumeal Robinson over Toni Kukoc, Dee Brown, Elden Campbell, and Loy Vaught

Alan Henderson over Michael Finley and Theo Ratliff

Doug Edwards over Nick Van Exel and Sam Cassell

Josh Childress over Al Jefferson, Luol Deng, and Andre Iguodala (never liked him, as my posts would clearly show)

Marvin Williams over CP3 (see Childress, Joshua)

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dejay said:

Rumeal Robinson over Toni Kukoc, Dee Brown, Elden Campbell, and Loy Vaught

Also Tyrone Hill. Remember the Warriors got him with the very next pick from Xavier. Always liked him.

3 hours ago, Dejay said:

Don Collins

@kg01 Dollins? :er:

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

Shelden Williams, no doubt. He wasn't even seen as a lottery pick by some. In Marvin's case, hind sight was not kind to him and he never became the star he had the talent to be, but he was the consensus #2 pick in that draft. I wanted CP3, but there were still questions around him, clearly he answered them. Marvin also had a solid career, and Shelden did not.

Also think Acie Law IV deserves a shout out in this thread. 

• Like 2