• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Game 3 adjustments

TheNorthCydeRises

• Premium Member

Agree with most except Cam needs to defend the point of attack meaning Jrue Holiday and when Giannis receives the ball at the top of the key, pressure him immediately. See whether or not he has point guard ball handling skills

46 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Agree with most except Cam needs to defend the point of attack meaning Jrue Holiday and when Giannis receives the ball at the top of the key, pressure him immediately. See whether or not he has point guard ball handling skills

If we do that, I'm afraid Cam will pick up quick cheap fouls.  I'd rather he be the guy that comes over for the double team, but I'm not opposed to Cam being on the ball.

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If we do that, I'm afraid Cam will pick up quick cheap fouls.  I'd rather he be the guy that comes over for the double team, but I'm not opposed to Cam being on the ball.

If not Cam, who?

• Premium Member

Our biggest problem is they were like 70% from 3 at one point in the first half.  I feel like we started to panic.  You have to trust they will not keep hitting at that kind of clip, I'd much rather lose to them raining 3s than watching them get 75 easy points in the paint, or or Holiday cherry picking.  

Edited by JeffS17
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

If not Cam, who?

I think it would have to be Capela or Collins.  He'll try to drive around those guys, which is why I'd have another big in the vicinity to rotate over.  I would purposely rotate off of Lopez and Tucker, and dare those guys to make shots, just to keep Giannis out of scoring in the paint.  Make him give the ball up.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think it would have to be Capela or Collins.  He'll try to drive around those guys, which is why I'd have another big in the vicinity to rotate over.  I would purposely rotate off of Lopez and Tucker, and dare those guys to make shots, just to keep Giannis out of scoring in the paint.  Make him give the ball up.

The offense mainly starts with Jrue Holiday not Giannis. They probably ran the Giannis top of the key set 25% of the time. Most of time the point of attack started with Holiday. Cam should be on Holiday.

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Our biggest problem is they were like 70% from 3 at one point in the first half.  I feel like we started to panic.  You have to trust they will not keep hitting at that kind of clip, I'd much rather lose to them raining 3s than watching them get 75 easy points in the paint, or or Holiday cherry picking.  

There's certain guys you can't leave out on the perimeter.  Holiday, Middleton, Connaughton, Forbes are guys you cannot leave open most of the time.  Bobby Portis, who shot 47% from 3 in the regular season, is getting to that point as well.

But if PJ Tucker and Brook Lopez are going to knock down 8 threes between them in a game, I want to see if they can do it.

• Like 2

Another thing I noticed is that when we try to force Giannis left, he almost always tries to spin back right. I know it sounds easier said than done, but if we could have our guys that are defending him to anticipate the spin and beat him to the spot, he'll more likely than not pick up his dribble and try to hit a tough shot. We want more of those possessions than we want of him having a runway to the rim.

Edited by ATLHawks3
  • Like 1

Good analysis; now comes the hard part to execute a game plan.  I have been impressed with Coach Bud.  I really liked him as the Hawks coach.  I thought if Ferry staid they would have had more success.  I think if the Hawks don't win tomorrow this may be over in 5. 

Let's not forget either, that before the playoffs started and seedings were being finalized... most of us would have preferred the Bucks instead of the Knicks based on what we knew at the time. We were willing to slide to 6 just to get a piece of Milwaukee and avoid the Knicks.

One bad game shouldn't scare us when we know that we can beat these guys.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Let's not forget either, that before the playoffs started and seedings were being finalized... most of us would have preferred the Bucks instead of the Knicks based on what we knew at the time. We were willing to slide to 6 just to get a piece of Milwaukee and avoid the Knicks.

One bad game shouldn't scare us when we know that we can beat these guys.

meh...if anybody was seriously in the camp of the Bucks being a better matchup for the Hawks than the Knicks...then they were way way off from the start...yes, the Knicks had swept the Hawks in the regular season and had given the team trouble in recent history, but you can easily argue the same thing with the Bucks...in which I remember a game during Trae's rookie year where they rested most of their starters and the Hawks still had to mount a major comeback to win, which had me extremely frustrated.

Shoot, my dad knows nothing about basketball (although he decided to pick up watching the Hawks again this season for a sports fix and said they were good "before" Pierce was fired) and he randomly guessed Hawks in 5 before that Knicks series.

This could easily be over honestly...I really "don't" think this is a good matchup at all, especially without this team at full strength. The Hawks were just better than the Knicks (and records+regular season head to head didn't reflect it) and in the case of Philly, recent history (besides this season)+Doc Rivers being the coach made for it to be an interesting upset special series from the start, but in the case of the Bucks, none of the above was the case.

In case you're wondering, I wasn't that shook by getting blown out by Philly in game 2 because the Hawks had recovered well before Milton went nuclear (I was in game 3 and with the first half of 4 though). I very much am here however and without a statement in game 3, there probably isn't much chance at much here...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1