• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

For the Offseason....

Diesel

While none of these bigs with the exception of Noel and Holmes are actually even average, I would like to get another vet center since Okongwu is a 4/5. That said, we don't have a lot of spots available. In fact, very few.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, gurpilo said:

I would consider Dieng, Whiteside, Holmes, Noel, Mcgee before those you mention but I agree, we need a backup big

I would just like to see us with a 7 footer who is not so old and can contribute.  Golden State was good at it.   They had Bogut and then Later Zaza...

You have to have a big big just to protect yoiur bigs. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I would just like to see us with a 7 footer who is not so old and can contribute.  Golden State was good at it.   They had Bogut and then Later Zaza...

You have to have a big big just to protect yoiur bigs. 

Man, I really miss Zaza.

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, capstone21 said:

We are adding Dunn, Hunter, Reddish and draft pick to current roster … I think we are good 

If this playoff run has shown us nothing, it should have shown us how terribly small we are upfront.

A cheap contract to Dedmon or a look at Willie Cauley Stein  is something that we should consider. 

• Like 1

We have a lot of talent but Bucks are exposing where we are weak.  It seems w/ Bogi hampered with injuries we don't have any serious 3 pt threat.  Our 3 pt % has been terrible throughout the playoffs and when Trae gets locked down and kept out of the paint our main option is to kick out for a 3.  Hopefully Cam and Hunter continue to develop offensively.  The other point mentioned is we only have 2 big post defenders.  I am sure Schlenk is going to have some tough work in the off-season.  He has to figure out what they offer Collins.  Collins is great off-ball and on offensive rebounds but he seems like more of a tall/long wing than a power forward.

G League.  Hawks presently have 2 G League players on their roster.  Next season, when we expect to see our G League team, will these 2 still be with us?  One, a PG and one, Nathan Knight, a center.  That's one center.  Now, add Capela, OO17, Bruno and Collins.

Also, we have draft pick #20 to consider.  What position?  We have some centers too good to release but not good enough to keep.  Perhaps they will be added to a trade to sweeten the pot.

I love Capela's defense and rebounding for the most part.  I hate his free throws.  0017 is growing up.  NK needs a season in the G League.  Bruno?  Appears that Nate don't really like him.  Collins?  Only in an emergency should he play center, the same with Denalio.

:hi:

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Diesel said:

If this playoff run has shown us nothing, it should have shown us how terribly small we are upfront.

A cheap contract to Dedmon or a look at Willie Cauley Stein  is something that we should consider. 

I think the big issue was that we didn't have size or an aggressive attack/defense from the wing. Bogi and Kev are finesse players that don't have physical advantages going downhill. 

You can erase the big games from Holiday and Middleton if both Cam and Hunter were playing. Rebounding would improve which would nullify the Bucks transition attack as well. Hunter would consistently get his in a series where Trae is being keyed in on. 

The one thing this series has shown is Hunter's importance to our success. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Often said here, but seemingly bears repeating, first priority of off-season almost certainly will be replacing a retiring LouWill with a similar skill set.

Often said here, but seemingly bears repeating, first priority of off-season almost certainly will be to utilize the $8-$13m of cap space (lower figure if Dunn opts in, higher figure if either Dunn opts in, or Dunn is included in a trade such that the net is a $13m vet).

Often said here, but seemingly bears repeating, look for one of Nate@Night or Bruno to be on the 15-man. If Nate, who is more of a 4 than a 5, look for a vet FA 5 to be signed using the MLE we'll have after JC signs, and we go over the cap; if Bruno, who is more of a 5 than a 4 (much more, that is), look for a vet FA 4 to be signed.

And. One vet FA who conceivably could be signed either way is old friend Mike Muscala who has shown himself capable not only at 4 as we all remember, but at 5 as well in recent seasons. OKC wants him back, and he's said all the right things about being interested in coming back, but it would seem there's reason to believe he'd take a Hawks reunion offer very seriously.

Regardless, the vet will know coming in the building that he's destined for the third column of the depth chart, and barring an injury, there's a good chance he'll not get consistent minutes. So, it almost has to be a Moose or someone very much of Moose's caliber who will take ATL flirtation seriously.

I'm less inclined to believe we will need a replacement for Lou. We've got to remember Heurter is supposed to be our 6th man coming off the bench but he's been forced into starter minutes most of the season due to injuries. As long as Cam, Hunter, and Bogi come back healthy next year, then Heurter should be able to go back to being that 6th man scoring option off the bench who can handle the ball and play make. 

We don't really need another ball handler. Heurter can do that, so can Bogi. Even Hunter can do that a little. Cam too possibly. Goodwin is there for a regular season guy to eat some minutes if needed, obviously he shouldn't be an option in the playoffs.

I think it all depends on how we view Dunn and if we want to keep him or not. I know it's a player option on his contract, but he will most likely opt in as long as the Hawks let him know he's in their plans. He's a guard and wing defender, not a real PG. But if we want to keep him around as a defensive option in the regular rotation off the bench, then he needs to be paired with a scoring ball handler like Heurter or Bogi. 

Let's look at this from a playoffs perspective. We have a roster of up to 15 players next year, but a realistic playoff rotation is only ever 8 or 9 players deep, 10 max. 

hoopshype.com_salaries_atlanta_hawks_.thumb.jpg.caeb5e5a5d74f33c58973c6f55d46c34.jpg

We know a playoff rotation should have at least the following: 

1. Trae
  2. Bogi
  3. Capela 
  4. Hunter
  5. Collins (expecting he'll be re-signed)
  6. Heurter
  7. Gallo
  8. Okongwu
  9. Cam

That is already a 9 deep playoff roster before adding anyone else. It's 4 bigs and 5 wings + guards, with Hunter able to also play some small ball 4, along with at least 3 guys able to run the offense in Trae, Heurter, and Bogi. That is pretty much the playoff rotation right there.

That leaves room to add maybe 1 more player to a playoff rotation, emphasis on maybe. That could be Dunn, or possibly someone like a D. Rose or McConnell, maybe a defensive big; doubtful it would be another wing, but you never know with Heurter and Bogi able to handle the ball. 

We'll be adding the #20 pick who will probably get some burn in the regular season for development, but I'd doubt this player will be in the postseason rotation barring a huge steal or several injuries. 

The point is, barring injuries we don't have a lot of playing time to sell a potential free agent this offseason. We could always trade 2 or 3 of these players for a star player that would obviously open up some spots. But for now, let's be realistic on what players we need to add and how valuable they will actually be to us when next season's playoffs roll around. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Only thing this team needs to add is consistency.  Heurter, Bogi, and Gallo all are too sporadic with their play. We need a guy that can give us 20 and 5 nightly. I wish this team could steal one of those stars in Boston.  We are missing Hunter in this series.

• Like 1