• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cam over Bogi for the chip

sillent

Love the fact that we have TOO much talent on our hands.

Have to think that Schlenk accounted for that when building the roster. Look no further than the years left on contracts and extension deadlines at each position. These things will work themselves out.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, sillent said:

We had an outstanding playoff run that's only going to get harder from here because we're not surprising people anymore. 

We beat the Knicks and 76ers but there was a key factor to that. Knicks and 76ers don't have elite shooting guards.

When we have to face the Bradley Beal's, Jimmy Butler's, James Harden, Khris Middleton, Jayson and Jaylen and other elite teams we're going to need elite defense as well as elite offense to win a championship.

We played 3 on 5 against Milwaukee especially when Trae and Bogi were hurt. Young has definitely stepped up his defense but he still needs to be hidden on that end of the floor. Bogi is a decent but not elite defender. I'd bet on Cam and Hunter any day that I need a defensive stopper which is why ultimately to win a chip Cam must be our starting shooting guard and DeAndre Hunter our starting small forward if Trae and JC are our other 2 stars. I love JC but if he was our only/main option against Julius Randle that series could have went a little different. Defense still wins championships. You can get away with it with better talent than the rest but once you start to face similar talent defense is the X Factor. 

Our starting lineup at the end of the season should be 

PG Trae Young, SG Cam Reddish SF DeAndre Hunter,  PF John Collins,C Onyeka Okongwu 

A bench consisting of Bogi, Huerter, Gallo, Clint and a PG or even Lou Will is a dangerous one. We're no longer just trying to look good in the regular season we are trying to win a championship and in order to do so we need the right pieces in the right places at the right time. 

Bogi and Huerter are great pieces but if you want to win a championship and we're running across teams with elite wings we need a Cam Reddish and a DeAndre Hunter to pair with Trae.

I'll say just this.  If Cam can legit beat out healthy Bogi for a starting role, then yeah, we're done and we're going to win titles.

Pump the brakes on the Cam train though....i was impressed he could made the impact he made in some of the most important games this franchise has ever played.  However, greatness is achieved when you can contribute night in and night out, and when you add up the figures at the end of the season, they don't ever say things like 26% 3FG.  

So, yeah Cam caught a serious heater.  But was it just a JR Smith hot streak?  Only time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Capela's impact numbers were incredible. His postseason left a bad taste in people's mouths but in the regular season (the thing that gets you to the playoffs) he was the most consistent player for us all season. 

Bogi was by far our second best player after the break. He came on like wildfire. His first half was so bad that it drove his overall impact down, but when he was healthy under Nate, there is no question that he was the X factor that was going to put us over the top. Getting hurt again in the playoffs impacted his play and left some with short term memory.

As far as Dre is concerned, he was clearly on the rise and our 2nd best player before he went down. Problem with that is, that didn't result in wins. Again, blame LP, but the best version of Dre waa during the worst version of the team for what its worth. Maybe his role under Nate changes. Maybe he is asked to sacrifice much like JC was asked to sacrifice. We don't know. His ceiling is definitely number 2 or 3 based on where Cam lands. But as it relates to our winning formula maybe he ends up 4th or 5th.

The great thing about JC, is that he can be whatever you need him to be. If you feed him touches he can produce with efficiency. If you need him to be a floor spacer he can. Roll man, got it. He allows you to play whatever style you want no matter who is out there with him. When we sucked, he sucked. When we were rocking, so was he. That correlated over to the playoffs as well. That should tell you something about his impact.

Agree with almost every word of this, including Hunter was clearly on the rise and was our 2nd best player before the injury. But I have to reject the part about Dre not impacting winning.  I don't think it's fair to put that on him. LP was a dumpster fire, and it's easy to see looking in hindsight. There is just no way of knowing how badly LP impacted our win/loss record so we really can't make judgements on how other players impacted that during his coaching stint this past season. 

Bogi was coming off injury to start the season, yes, and that curtailed his early impact, but part of that is also on LP who just had him playing a catch and shoot role instead of what Nate eventually had him doing. And it seems like a lot of players pretty much tuned LP out, going on an 8-0 run the moment he was fired. The point is, I don't think we can justifiably make that kind of statement about Hunter's impact on winning. We'll know more next season, but as long as Hunter is healthy it should be painfully obvious at the end of the year that he is our 2nd best player (unless Cam starts realizing his vast potential and starts approaching star status). 

I wouldn't mind Cam starting if he clearly earns it.

But TBH, I don't mind him coming off the bench to stagger him and Dre's time on the court some so we always have at least one of them playing at all times (and probably both closing put games together).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Diesel said:

Let's not get all Chris Crawford because of a good Playoff series. 

Let's go with what we had and if Cam works his way into the starting position, so be it. 

You forgot about Koncak.  One good playoff series and it was off to overpay land.

4 hours ago, txsting said:

I'll say just this.  If Cam can legit beat out healthy Bogi for a starting role, then yeah, we're done and we're going to win titles.

Pump the brakes on the Cam train though....i was impressed he could made the impact he made in some of the most important games this franchise has ever played.  However, greatness is achieved when you can contribute night in and night out, and when you add up the figures at the end of the season, they don't ever say things like 26% 3FG.  

So, yeah Cam caught a serious heater.  But was it just a JR Smith hot streak?  Only time will tell.

Everything you said about Cam can be said about Bogi *shrugs*

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Cwell said:

Everything you said about Cam can be said about Bogi *shrugs*

First, Bogi is a career 39% 3pt shooter so while his 50%+ hot streak wasn't sustainable you know that his baseline is excellent.

Second, doing something over 3 months mean more than doing it over 4 games.

I've been on board with Cam being our starter due to his two-way impact since day 1 but it is a matter of timing.  I'm confident he'll get there eventually.  We just have to see how fast that consistency and improvement comes.  Frankly, I thought he might be there after his rookie season's January - March performance but clearly he wasn't ready for it when this season started.  Now that Bogi has established himself, I think he is the starter on day 1 and Cam is playing big minutes off the bench and taking the starting job when he earns it.  I hope that is in 2021-22 because all the tools are there but Cam is a tough guy to predict given how volatile he has been.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Diesel said:

No doubt having all four succeed is a great problem.  My commentary was about finding a good trade for Bogi.  It will not be easy.. especially if the other three are doing well.   We have this fruit cart... everybody wants to fill it up with fruit from other carts... the problem is that we have some of the best fruit on this cart already.   Any trade we make we run the potential of bringing bad fruit back to our cart.   This is not Evan Turner for Clint Capela... back then all we had was bad and underdeveloped fruit.   Now... we're at a place where trading becomes very strategic and it's not as easy as some may believe.  That was my point. 

Have we not learned anything about depth? Being a deep team was not only critical for our playoff run but it's the reason we were able to make the playoffs in the first place. We weren't healthy all year and an 82 game season is usually predictable like that. The 2 teams in the finals this year are deep teams. I don't get the notion of trading players under contract.

We are a team that has developed chemistry and everyone wants to win which means sacrifices will again be made by everybody.

I fully expect Bogi to start next season but later as the season develops Cam should be in a position to take his place and Bogi can happily light it up from off the bench and against weaker defenses. It eases his load and everyone fills in as necessary based on injuries, needs, etc... 

We don't build a team like this to be contenders and then tear it down before it reaches max capacity. Have we not learned better this past season about how a true championship team looks? You're either super deep (look at Miami with Dwayne and Shaq or the Mavs championship team) or you have a duo/trio of healthy superstars. Most teams don't have that luxury and if you can be deep with this much youth that creates longevity aka dynasty potential.

• Like 3