Welcome to Atlanta, Sharife Cooper

NBASupes

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sturt said:

I'm fine with calling them all "misses," except I also need to understand what youse guys consider to be a median 2nd rounder outcome. Median in the statistician sense of the term. If you please, @kg01 and @AHF.

(Careful how you answer... I do have some discretionary time coming up, and you know I'll be the nerd who goes back and digs out comparisons.)

Median outcome is a “miss.”  A hit is a player who cracks the rotation with useful minutes so the significant majority of 2nd round picks are not hits (and thus the median outcome is a miss).  Without making any effort to look up the numbers, I’d guess 85% of 2nd round picks are misses by my standards.  Hence, it does not surprise me to see even a good GM miss a significant majority of the time in the second round.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

My problem is that it was laid at Travis' feet that it was a bad pick...

Let me ask.. This year we got AJ at 16.. which is barely the 2nd half of the first round.   This is where Cooper were expected to go... IF we had picked up AJ at pick #48.. would you be saying it's a "Bad Pick".

At the time.. we felt we got a steal.   Hindsight.. hindsight.. lots of hindsight.

1.  I called it a bad pick at the time.  No hindsight here.

2. 16 is just outside the lottery. You suggesting Cooper was supposed to go that high?  Prove that.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Yeah.. but how many players selected after them are doing any kind of contributing on the NBA level?  You have a lot of false arguments because there is no true remedy.  You can't point out for me what we CLEARLY missed out on...

I explained this in my original post. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Yeah.. but how many players selected after them are doing any kind of contributing on the NBA level?  You have a lot of false arguments because there is no true remedy.  You can't point out for me what we CLEARLY missed out on...

I don’t think a miss on a second round pick indicates the player was a bad pick.  To the contrary, I think Cooper was a good pick who didn’t work out just like if you put $20 down on a bet that you can roll a 1 on a 6 sided die and the payout is $200 that is a good bet even if you roll a 4 and lose your $20.  Method was sound so you take whatever outcome you get and don’t criticize the decision.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

1.  I called it a bad pick at the time.  No hindsight here.

2. 16 is just outside the lottery. You suggesting Cooper was supposed to go that high?  Prove that.

I explained this in my original post. 

He was expected to go much higher than 48 but his projected draft spot was lower than 16 if memory serves.  

OK - Looked it up.  He was #27 in this mock draft aggregator, 21 spots higher than he was taken:

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-mock-draft-consensus-predictions-cade-cunningham-jalen-green-evan-mobley/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Good for Goodwin! Love what he brought to us! I think he’s gonna get a nice shot with the Cavs… :er:

1 year later…

copy and paste (take Goodie name out and replace it don’t be lazy like that..)

#cavsgethawkseconds 

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I missed on Coop. I had him as the 8th best prospect in his class and only behind Giddey and Orlando's PG in the draft. I missed bad on him. He was even drafted too high based on what I seen in the NBA from him.

He's lucky to still be drawing interest. I'm definitely rooting for him, but its looking like a long shot he'll have a good NBA career.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 1:15 PM, sturt said:

Our 2nd rounders of the Schlenk era:

2017: Tyler Dorsey (Back in the league after Europe success; mid-season 2018 trade to MEM for Shelvin Mack)

2017: Alpha Kaba (Draft and stash guy, who has had some Europe success; of course, resurfaced again this Summer League)

2018: Omari Spellman (Initially gave Hawks reason to believe they acquired a keeper, but then was traded for Damian Jones + 2026 2nd round pick; hasn't been in the league since 2021)

2019: Bruno Fernando (Do we really need to rehearse a story that so many of us know well? Suffice it to say, hope springs eternal.)

2020: Skylar Mays (Still some sliver of a chance he could be brought back; one of the very few individual players who the head coach made a point to compliment in his 30 minute exit interview for the 2021-22 season)

2021: Sharife Cooper (Again, no explanation necessary)

2022: Tyrese Martin (Summer 2021 Sharife Cooper-like enthusiasm for this guy so far in Summer 2022)

Honestly, I believe the opposite. No spectacular hits here, but no complete whiffs either.

I like Martin but I'll reserve my opinions till I see him in the NBA first. Bruno and Omari made sense based on college, they just didn't translate as expected. Coop was fool's gold. From his college tape and data, I was expected a lite blend of Trae Young and Allen Iverson and all I got was Terrell Brandon without a jump shot and less feel for the game. 

3 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

He's lucky to still be drawing interest. I'm definitely rooting for him, but its looking like a long shot he'll have a good NBA career.

I agree. His college tape and stats lied. But salute to NBA scouts, they knew it too.

Edited by NBASupes

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I missed on Coop. I had him as the 8th best prospect in his class and only behind Giddey and Orlando's PG in the draft. I missed bad on him. He was even drafted too high based on what I seen in the NBA from him.

Ya I recall. Same for me. I think we’ve messed up Cam and baby Reef 🪸 together in the last 3 years.

I still say they can ball that’s not the error in judgement but rather attitude/system. I’m sorry as fans and draft guessers that ish is hard to predict. (I realize scouts have the same issue just saying I don’t think it’s missed based on basketball skills rather the environment variable which is unpredictable or at least tough to predict).

18 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya I recall. Same for me. I think we’ve messed up Cam and baby Reef 🪸 together in the last 3 years.

I still say they can ball that’s not the error in judgement but rather attitude/system. I’m sorry as fans and draft guessers that ish is hard to predict. (I realize scouts have the same issue just saying I don’t think it’s missed based on basketball skills rather the environment variable which is unpredictable or at least tough to predict).

Cam shows promise and a high level, he just doesn't show any consistency and barely improves to where it's hard to notice. 

Coop just seems like a shell of what I was expecting. It feels like that SL and preseason play of last year was fool's gold

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 9/20/2022 at 10:24 AM, NBASupes said:

You weren't alone.  I was elated that we drafted him and thought he was worth a first round pick.  Still sad it didn't work out.

On 9/20/2022 at 10:27 AM, Atlantaholic said:

I don't think he is lucky to be drawing this kind of interest.  He is just a warm body in the Cavs camp.  This isn't legit interest.  If a team adds him to their roster for real then we can count that.  

• 4 weeks later...