• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta Delon Wright

Spud2nique

26 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

His numbers keep impressing.  1.5 defensive box and a great mix of 3 point rate (.313) with FT rate (.276).  Those numbers show he looks for good threes but isn’t a chucker, can force the issue in the paint when necessary, and consistently defends for the team.  Just an outstanding pick up.

Yes sir. Schlenk type is becoming more and more clear. You have to be an intelligent team first guy with a work ethic who plays both sides of the ball. Agreed. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

I'm gonna say it again. Travis is the best GM in the league. He turned the Bruno mistake into this guy. 

No.  He turned Bruno and Dunn into this one player.  Still it's a great deal !!

:hi:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Just like I have with all the previous backups since drafting Trae, I will temper my expectations until games are played.  It's all about how the team functions when Trae sits, it needs to start trending up.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 7:36 PM, RandomFan said:

I removed a lot of this article, left the Atlanta parts. 

https://theathletic.com/2744260/2021/07/31/celtics-hawks-kings-mavericks-trade-discussion-what-the-tristan-thompson-and-josh-richardson-trades-were-all-about/

Vecenie: I’ll be honest: I really dislike this for Sacramento. Why is that? Because Wright was actually steady and solid to finish the year!

After a couple of feel-out games following his acquisition from Detroit, Wright averaged almost 11 points, four rebounds and four assists per game while shooting 47 percent from the field and 41 percent from 3. He’s not going to blow the doors off of the place or anything, but he’s a solid backcourt player who I’ve always thought wouldn’t look out of place in a playoff rotation. Simply put, he’s just kind of an all-around player. The key with rotation players for contenders is having guys that you can bring off the bench who don’t take anything off the table. Or at least as little off the table as possible. Wright is that guy. He can dribble and pass at a reasonable level as a secondary creator. He’s turned into a steady shooter, having hit 37 percent from 3 over his last two seasons. Defensively, he’s solid and big enough to guard multiple different player types at 6-foot-5. He’s a legitimate role player, and only has one year left at $8.6 million.

Atlanta Hawks

Out: Kris Dunn, Bruno Fernado, future 2nd round pick

In: Delon Wright

Vecenie:  I think this is just solid business. Dunn is an effective defender, but he’s not as well-rounded as Wright. I think Dunn would probably be a bit more of a playoff liability due to his lack of shooting than Wright will be. I’m glad we’ll likely get to see Wright in an interesting environment. Again, the goal for rotation players next to stars is to not take a ton off the table. Well-rounded players are useful. Wright is one of those.

Partnow: When the deal was first reported with Thompson ending up in Atlanta, I really didn’t like it for Atlanta. They were taking on more money for a player they didn’t need – filling the bench center minutes Onyeka Okongwu was pencilled in for before his recent shoulder surgery with a minimum signee won’t be much of a drag on the team’s performance for the few months of game action the second year big will miss – while also sending out a pick. Once the back half of the deal and the acquisition of Wright was a announced, it made a ton more sense.

Of all the players on the move between these four teams, Wright is probably the best, and he provides exactly the combination of offense initiation and defensive versatility the Hawks sorely missed off the bench in the playoffs – sort of a midpoint between Lou Williams and Dunn who can be on the floor in more situations. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get some minutes as the backup shooting guard alongside Sharife Cooper as the second round rookie learns the NBA ropes.

The asset price of the acquisition was perhaps a touch high, but the usefulness of moving on from both Dunn and Fernando to bring Wright in helps relieve what might have been something of a roster crunch. For a buzz-worthy up-and-coming team, having that one more shot to add one more piece shouldn’t be overlooked.

Final Thoughts

Vecenie: For Atlanta, it makes sense because I think Wright can be a real, valuable bench player for them given the struggles they’ve had when Trae Young leaves the court. 

Partnow: I like these moves for three of the teams, and for the team I’m less happy, it’s low salience enough to not raise a particular stink. To the extent we’re required to declare one “winner” from the trade, I’d say it was Atlanta who both filled a rotational hole and slightly streamlined their roster situation at a minimum asset price.

Why has Partnow referenced four teams (multiple times)?

Am I missing something? I thought it was just Bos-Atl-Sac.

Is there something else that hasn't been announced (maybe what has delayed the trade from going through)?

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Why has Partnow referenced four teams (multiple times)?

Am I missing something? I thought it was just Bos-Atl-Sac.

Is there something else that hasn't been announced (maybe what has delayed the trade from going through)?

Dallas--they're treating the Josh Richardson trade to Boston as part of this sequence of moves.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Once official, I for one could be intrigued to talk extension with Delon's agent in order to lock-in some continuity into 22-23, and plausibly beyond. The thing about Delon is, while he's really a PG first, SG second, you still could reap some value even in the case that Sharife or/and Skylar perform so well as to get a standard contract.

If Schlenk could get another year of him @ $9-ish million, I'd applaud that.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, sturt said:

Once official, I for one could be intrigued to talk extension with Delon's agent in order to lock-in some continuity into 22-23, and plausibly beyond. The thing about Delon is, while he's really a PG first, SG second, you still could reap some value even in the case that Sharife or/and Skylar perform so well as to get a standard contract.

If Schlenk could get another year of him @ $9-ish million, I this I'd applaud that.

No. Let's see how he looks first. We have to be really careful about committing money to non core guys.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Let's see how he looks first.

Pretty sure of two things that discourage this.

First, we have until October, I believe, to extend whoever... after that, it's... 136a6a8e-3ea4-491f-8111-7581e729ee2f_tex

Second, he's 29. He's pretty much been who he's going to be for 2-3 years now. And while I get the otherwise-healthy hesitation, given the first part, put together with this part, put together with whatever value one assigns to continuity... $9m is a reasonable number, but that's just my opinion.

• Haha 2

I think there is just as much incentive to keep him as an expiring contract for potential trade purposes as there is to lock him in.

We know we want a long term answer at backup PG, but Im inclined to think that may be Cooper. So Wright is very much an asset that we could move if need be, or keep if we really like his fit.  I don't imagine we determine which anytime before the season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Me, I'm slow to expect the #20 pick in any draft is going to make such an impact his rookie season that he can be legitimately penciled-in as probably contributing as a rotation player in his sophomore season. I mean, that is, once you've been to the conference finals, and your #1-#10 are fairly well established. And ours is.

I'd be much more inclined to see that as maybe/possibly a third year legitimate scenario for planning purposes.

And at the same time, by comparison, I wouldn't be slow at all to sign-up a 29 yr-old on a single-digits deal that extends to his age 30 season who's in the prime of his career and has proved especially in the last 2-3 to offer some considerable and reliable production befitting a rotation player. I'm getting ready to make my most promising assault on an NBA title in all of the franchise's ATL years. This is it. I'm pushing all to the center of the table for this season and next. Every decision focuses on optimizing the outcome for 21-22 and 22-23.

But. That's again, #20.

I can't even fathom expecting the #48 pick for some reason should interrupt my plans for the next two seasons. Hell, even if he went in the #30-ish range as the week of the draft mocks suggested... same, at least so long as the #30 slot < the #20 slot.

And not wanting to be a nails on a chalkboard about it, that's the last anyone will hear any more from me on that topic.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Pretty sure of two things that discourage this.

First, we have until October, I believe, to extend whoever... after that, it's... 136a6a8e-3ea4-491f-8111-7581e729ee2f_tex

Second, he's 29. He's pretty much been who he's going to be for 2-3 years now. And while I get the otherwise-healthy hesitation, given the first part, put together with this part, put together with whatever value one assigns to continuity... $9m is a reasonable number, but that's just my opinion.

Forbidden 🚫 ohhh that makes it even more naughty.