• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teams that could be trouble to us.

Diesel

On any day, any NBA team can and will beat any other NBA team.  A few games, you just can't win and a few games you just can't lose.  All the other games you must stay ready.  

:smug:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Washington secretly added a bunch of talent in that Russ trade.

KCP, Kuzma, Harrell. They also picked up Dinwiddie who I really like.

Not sure if all the pieces fit or stick around, but they have some good pieces around Beal. I wouldn't be surprised if they make the playoffs again. 

That's just it.. we saw how ineffective KCP, Harrell and Kuzma was with BRON.  Adding them to Beal and Dinwiddie would be interesting but I don't know if they can matchup with the elites in the East. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Im not as high on Indy as everyone else. I think that teams get better each year and they kind of just stay put. I don't see them as a huge threat even with much improved coaching.

Charlotte is interesting because they were a pretty good team as is before Hayward and Ball went down. They peaked at the #4 seed and probably held it for the longest out of anyone throughout the season. Their starting wings could look like Ball, Oubre and Hayward. They had a good draft too. Plumlee and potentially Markkanen to their front court, I been sleeping on them but they are a threat to jump up in the standings. 

I have to rethink Charlotte.  I believe that they will grow with LaMelo... but dang.. LiAngelo just got there and he's balling in SL.   I know.. LiAngelo is not important right now... but they have some players and they will get better with LaMelo and could pose a problem.  Rebounding doesn't seem to be their strength though. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Diesel said:

I have to rethink Charlotte.  I believe that they will grow with LaMelo... but dang.. LiAngelo just got there and he's balling in SL.   I know.. LiAngelo is not important right now... but they have some players and they will get better with LaMelo and could pose a problem.  Rebounding doesn't seem to be their strength though. 

I been pulling for Gelo for a while. I was the middle of 3 boys growing up. (2nd of 6 boys now after Pop's second marriage) so I completely identify with a middle child.

There is a real psychological complex that comes with being stuck in between the first born "we go as you go" standard bearer, and the  he-can-never-do-wrong baby of the family. So I get it Gelo, I get it.

He is my Rudy, I just want to see him succeed and pull through for us 2nd borns worldwide lol

Keep balling!

The team that is scariest to me is the Golden State Warriors. They got the pieces already intact to win a championship but what is scary is that they have the pieces to go out and get another superstar. The rumors are that they are trying to get Lillard or Beal. Scary folks. 

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, MaceCase said:

The Knicks flipped their identity, pursued offensive players at the expense of their gritty defensive ones.   Not too confident about their PG rotation featuring 2 vets with chronic knee issues either, may run into nights where they are both out on "load management".

The Bulls do not look like they care about defense at all with their top 3 of Vuc, LaVine, and DeRozan.  Lonzo looks like he just picked the best market over fit, he's not expanding his game with so many iso scorers to feed and then get out the way.

The Wizards declined.  Brodie is just superior to Dinwiddie, and is the key addition in that trade (Kuzma) better than the Wiz' last 3 1st round picks at that position (Hachimura, Avdija, and Kispert) not to mention Bertans?

The Hornets are definitely intriguing, only question is the size/experience/talent of their frontcourt, they are at a steep disadvantage there against the rest of the East's top contenders.

The Celtics have tried about 4 iterations trying to find a mercenary leader but now looks like they've settled this season on sinking or swimming with their draftees, Tatum and Brown.  They might look like last season's Knicks.

The HEAT go as Jimmy goes and Jimmy goes to the doctor often.  Can Lowry pick up the slack during those injury stretches?

The Pacers have had a solid roster for years but the talent isn't high-end and there have always been questions about fit between Sabonis and Turner, now you can expand that to LeVert and a returning Warren.

The Sixers have a Ben Simmons problem.  Too many obstacles to solving that: Ben's ego is too big to accept criticism, that fanbase lives off of criticizing, and that front office's ego is too big to accept reality on his trade value.

The Raptors, Cavs, Magic, and Pistons are rebuilding so that still leaves just the Bucks and Nets.

This was a good breakdown

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Im fully on the “Chicago is overrated” train. I could see them as a slightly better version of the SAR, Terry, Big Dog Hawks.  Not feeling threatened in the least that they could beat us in a 7 game series.

There is a much better verison due to having a much better team but that core is limited to a degree outside of Zo.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

There is a much better verison due to having a much better team but that core is limited to a degree outside of Zo.

I don't think there is enough basketball to go around with those guys and way too little defense.  DeRozan has been a defensive liability for years and LaVine isn't going to cover for him.  These guys are going to have to evolve their games if they are going to play effectively together on the floor at the same time because it is not possible for them to all sustain their high usage rates.  Nobody is really an "off-ball" guy who spreads the floor and makes life easier for the others.  They are all guys who have their biggest success with the ball in their hands.  I'm not impressed, especially at that price.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Wurider05 said:

The team that is scariest to me is the Golden State Warriors. They got the pieces already intact to win a championship but what is scary is that they have the pieces to go out and get another superstar. The rumors are that they are trying to get Lillard or Beal. Scary folks. 

GS is a problem in the West and people should be scared.   The last NBA champions...  Bucks, Lakers won with poor 3 pt shooting.   Depending on how Klay comes back... if he comes back with any kinda form....GS will be a problem.   That's whether they get another star or not. 

Fortunately, they are out West and if we're worrying about them, then we're in the finals.   Lebron should be worried about them. 

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, MaceCase said:

The Knicks flipped their identity, pursued offensive players at the expense of their gritty defensive ones.   Not too confident about their PG rotation featuring 2 vets with chronic knee issues either, may run into nights where they are both out on "load management".

The Bulls do not look like they care about defense at all with their top 3 of Vuc, LaVine, and DeRozan.  Lonzo looks like he just picked the best market over fit, he's not expanding his game with so many iso scorers to feed and then get out the way.

The Wizards declined.  Brodie is just superior to Dinwiddie, and is the key addition in that trade (Kuzma) better than the Wiz' last 3 1st round picks at that position (Hachimura, Avdija, and Kispert) not to mention Bertans?

The Hornets are definitely intriguing, only question is the size/experience/talent of their frontcourt, they are at a steep disadvantage there against the rest of the East's top contenders.

The Celtics have tried about 4 iterations trying to find a mercenary leader but now looks like they've settled this season on sinking or swimming with their draftees, Tatum and Brown.  They might look like last season's Knicks.

The HEAT go as Jimmy goes and Jimmy goes to the doctor often.  Can Lowry pick up the slack during those injury stretches?

The Pacers have had a solid roster for years but the talent isn't high-end and there have always been questions about fit between Sabonis and Turner, now you can expand that to LeVert and a returning Warren.

The Sixers have a Ben Simmons problem.  Too many obstacles to solving that: Ben's ego is too big to accept criticism, that fanbase lives off of criticizing, and that front office's ego is too big to accept reality on his trade value.

The Raptors, Cavs, Magic, and Pistons are rebuilding so that still leaves just the Bucks and Nets.

I don't know how you can not be worried about NY... Kemba with that gritty defense is a problem and Barrett will be better than when we last played them. 

I have to double down on Chicago.  People say that their defense is weak.. partly true.  They picked up guys like Caruso and Ball.   They literally have in those two probably the best 2 defensive guards in the league (Behind Holliday and Devincenzo  & Simmons and Seth). 

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think there is enough basketball to go around with those guys and way too little defense.  DeRozan has been a defensive liability for years and LaVine isn't going to cover for him.  These guys are going to have to evolve their games if they are going to play effectively together on the floor at the same time because it is not possible for them to all sustain their high usage rates.  Nobody is really an "off-ball" guy who spreads the floor and makes life easier for the others.  They are all guys who have their biggest success with the ball in their hands.  I'm not impressed, especially at that price.

Offensively is going to be where they will have their issues.   But Ball is a distributor.  If he manages the game, Chicago will be hard to beat.  I also expect Caruso to play alot more than he did as a Laker.   I see Caruso and Ball bringing some defense. 

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Charlotte is interesting because they were a pretty good team as is before Hayward and Ball went down. They peaked at the #4 seed and probably held it for the longest out of anyone throughout the season. Their starting wings could look like Ball, Oubre and Hayward. They had a good draft too. Plumlee and potentially Markkanen to their front court, I been sleeping on them but they are a threat to jump up in the standings. 

As for Oubre, he has always seemed to be someone who ought to have a breakout year eventually, but never actually does. Perhaps this is the year.

Ball was impressive, but is he impressive enough to actually be the lead dog for a team that not only makes the post-season but does damage there?

Not yet any firm reason to believe the supporting cast is strong enough to help him do that.

Hayward is the wild card for CHO, at the risk of stating the obvious. If he can just get a full year of health, he might just propel his team to doing something significant. But that's not been the case for so long now, and as he now gets into his 30s, it just gets more questionable if/when that might happen.

All that said... if Oubre takes the next step (finally), and if Hayward stays healthy, I consider them to be a potent obstacle.

And honestly, I think as some others have said in this thread that this time next year, we'll be talking about how many East teams otherwise had been over-rated (maybe most prominently CHI), and/or proved to have plateaued (including MIL) or to be on the decline (including BRK).

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, AHF said:

I was onboard with their offseason until the Derozan move. That was an awful, awful move that will haunt them for many years. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Offensively is going to be where they will have their issues.   But Ball is a distributor.  If he manages the game, Chicago will be hard to beat.  I also expect Caruso to play alot more than he did as a Laker.   I see Caruso and Ball bringing some defense. 

I think they will have their big issues on defense.  I just think the congestion on offense may result in that side of the ball being less than the sum of its parts but there is enough offensive talent that they should win more games next year.  I don't know that I'm predicting that they will even make the playoffs, though.  And I'm 100% predicting we beat them if we match up with them and aren't missing Trae or multiple key players.

chiming in on this thread.

Maybe the most important things being missed about the Hawks are the values from:

1) being another year older, closer to their player primes.

2) the value of that playoff experience (knowing how to close games).

3) Starting the year with a Nate McMillan led training camp.

4) Having the respect now to get the benefit of the whistle.

I don't care what other teams improved this off season with moves. These things are just as valuable.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TheCampster:  Thank you.  For many, many years I have read where every team in the east except Atlanta had improved so much.  This off season is no different.  If for no other reason, being healthy should improve the Hawks.  Then, we have added two veteran players as back up players, a guard and a center.  Both are, in my opinion, pretty good NBA players.

Finally, Travis strikes again!  Twice!  In the draft, Atlanta got two players who might have gone in the lottery if they turn out as good as we hope they will.

Our core of youthful players return.  Not a one missing!  Add last season's playoff experience and having our head coach for a full season and he now has his own assistant coaches.

With all these goodies, I have read that we are #6 in the east.  Really?  Yep.  #6.  In the east, five other NBA teams are better than Atlanta.  You "experts" keep believing this.

:smug:

• Like 3