• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If the NBA expanded to 2 teams, which Hawks do you protect in the Expansion Draft?

TheNorthCydeRises

Which Hawks players would go unprotected in an NBA Expansion draft?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's a feature in NBA 2K22 that allows you to build a team from scratch.  When that happens, 8 players from the current team are protected from being selected in the Expansion draft.  If the NBA were to announce that Seattle and Kansas City were about to be awarded NBA franchises, which 8 Hawks players would you protect?  I'm going to assume that we'd get 100% consensus on Trae Young being protected.

Out of these 10 players . . pick (3) that you WOULD NOT PROTECT.

• Admin
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Mods . . . help me out.

Cam Reddish and Danillo Gallinari were excluded from my choices.  I wrote 10 down, but only 8 showed up.

Please add them to my choices, if you can.

It is acting fubar ... I updated it and then it got funky again ... only allowing 8 to display even though you can put in 10 choices

• Premium Member

There's a feature in NBA 2K22 that allows you to build a team from scratch.  When that happens, 8 players from the current team are protected from being selected in the Expansion draft.  If the NBA were to announce that Seattle and Kansas City were about to be awarded NBA franchises, which 8 Hawks players would you protect?  I'm going to assume that we'd get 100% consensus on Trae Young being protected.

Not protect Gallo, Wright and Cooper.

• Like 1

Mods . . . help me out.

Cam Reddish and Danillo Gallinari were excluded from my choices.  I wrote 10 down, but only 8 showed up.

Please add them to my choices, if you can.

Not sure why you're excluding Capela.  Some may want to ship him out.  

Edit: Also, I believe OO is missing too.   Seems if we want to do this exercise, we should include the 2021/2022 roster.

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2021 at 3:30 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Jumped the gun without reading. Gallo is on my list from the choices. 

• Moderators

I'd have to go with Cooper, Bogi or Huerter (under the assumption that TS doesn't plan to keep both long-term), and Gallo.  (Protecting:  Trae / Bogi or Huerter / Cam / Hunter / Jalen / JC / OO / Cap).  But I like not having to limit my "keepers" to 8 even better since I am a big fan of several of the players that wouldn't make my cut.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Players who have contributed include Gallo and Bogi.  It kills me that the homer committee feel that we have found players to replace them.  Where?  Everybody gets excited about that new shiny stuff... but that new shiny stuff is made from aluminum foil and press board... not steel and hard oak... we have guys who we HOPE will be able to contribute at the level of the starters but let's not make HOPES into reality without it being proven first. 

Lots of you all are attaching all of your hopes on guys who has not played ONE minute against NBA competition.. yet they are supposed to be replacement players??

• Like 1

Agree with Diesel.  We got some homer problems if we think Bogi and Gallo have equivalent replacements. Our top two shooters do not have replacements.  
Huerter is the closest we got, but most of our wins came in games when he played with Bogi and Gallo. So he’s not a replacement.  Cam would be the replacement and he shoots about 30% from three.  That’s supposed to have the same impact?  Not to mention we already lost Tony Snell who can actually shoot and was playing rotation minutes for awhile during our hot streak.  
Homers think we can win just as well without Bogi and Gallo.  They are the only two guys with full green light to shoot as much as possible.  Hunter is decent, but he is not a shooter.  So he doesn’t stretch the floor.   People really think Cam is Paul George, I just don’t see it.  
Gallo will be a huge loss, but we can’t sustain losing Bogi and Gallo.  Those two guys are scorers and shooters.  Huerter has those dimensions, but he isn’t quite on their level.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Diesel said:

Players who have contributed include Gallo and Bogi.  It kills me that the homer committee feel that we have found players to replace them.  Where?  Everybody gets excited about that new shiny stuff... but that new shiny stuff is made from aluminum foil and press board... not steel and hard oak... we have guys who we HOPE will be able to contribute at the level of the starters but let's not make HOPES into reality without it being proven first. 

Lots of you all are attaching all of your hopes on guys who has not played ONE minute against NBA competition.. yet they are supposed to be replacement players??

So which players are you not protecting?  I shared my list and my reasons and the fact that I'm glad we don't actually have to make that choice.  We get to keep Gallo and Bogi and the only constraint is long-term cap management not a "protect 8 only" edict.  So who is your 8 and which guys are you letting be poached in this hypothetical?

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Agree with Diesel.  We got some homer problems if we think Bogi and Gallo have equivalent replacements. Our top two shooters do not have replacements.  
Huerter is the closest we got, but most of our wins came in games when he played with Bogi and Gallo. So he’s not a replacement.  Cam would be the replacement and he shoots about 30% from three.  That’s supposed to have the same impact?  Not to mention we already lost Tony Snell who can actually shoot and was playing rotation minutes for awhile during our hot streak.  
Homers think we can win just as well without Bogi and Gallo.  They are the only two guys with full green light to shoot as much as possible.  Hunter is decent, but he is not a shooter.  So he doesn’t stretch the floor.   People really think Cam is Paul George, I just don’t see it.  
Gallo will be a huge loss, but we can’t sustain losing Bogi and Gallo.  Those two guys are scorers and shooters.  Huerter has those dimensions, but he isn’t quite on their level.  

I'm not following your point here.  I don't think anyone has said we have equivalent replacements or can win just as well without Bogi and Gallo as we do with them.  This is a hypothetical exercise not about how to construct a team or value our players but one that imagines we can only protect 8 of our players and then asks which ones you are protecting.  So I don't think anyone is making the arguments that you are accusing them of making.

Also, you haven't actually answered the OP and identified which players you are protecting and which you are not.  I'd guess you would not protect Cam and Gallo but maybe you are protecting Gallo over Huerter or something.  Let us know.  That will help with the discussion.

I know my list is focused on trying to balance winning now and winning 3 years from now.  I put Gallo on there because we have JC signed for the longeterm, because I don't think Gallo will be here in two years, and because I think OO and Jalen can pick up some of those minutes even if they don't have his experience, maturity or shooting touch yet.  I put one of Huerter or Bogi on there because we have to cut some outstanding young talent and the two of them have skill sets with a lot of overlap.  I suspect I have Cam's potential more than you do in this regard but I see Cam as already being a significantly better defender than either of them and so more complimentary in terms of contrasting skill sets.  I put Cooper on there because he is an unproven rookie who I don't think has much of a chance of ever being a starter with us.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, AHF said:

So which players are you not protecting?  I shared my list and my reasons and the fact that I'm glad we don't actually have to make that choice.  We get to keep Gallo and Bogi and the only constraint is long-term cap management not a "protect 8 only" edict.  So who is your 8 and which guys are you letting be poached in this hypothetical?

If it were a real list, I would not protect:  Cooper, Huerter, and Wright. 

I'm not giving up core guys for the expansion... Shame on you who clicked JC and Hunter... and don't tell me about Salary.  I'm keeping my shooters Bogi and Gallo. 

On the poll, since there was no Wright, I had to say Gallo... mainly because his contract is going to be less valuable soon. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

If it were a real list, I would not protect:  Cooper, Huerter, and Wright. 

I'm not giving up core guys for the expansion... Shame on you who clicked JC and Hunter... and don't tell me about Salary.  I'm keeping my shooters Bogi and Gallo. 

On the poll, since there was no Wright, I had to say Gallo... mainly because his contract is going to be less valuable soon. 

That isn't enough.  If you don't protect Cooper, Huerter and Wright that leaves you:

Trae

Bogi

Cam

Hunter

Jalen 

JC

OO

Gallo

Cap

You can only protect 8 of those 9 so you need one more on your unprotected list.  So that leaves you with Cooper, Huerter, Wright and Gallo all unprotected which is the same list I had except I hedged by saying Huerter or Bogi depending on who TS saw as the long-term hold.

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, AHF said:

That isn't enough.  If you don't protect Cooper, Huerter and Wright that leaves you:

Trae

Bogi

Cam

Hunter

Jalen 

JC

OO

Gallo

Cap

You can only protect 8 of those 9 so you need one more on your unprotected list.  So that leaves you with Cooper, Huerter, Wright and Gallo all unprotected which is the same list I had except I hedged by saying Huerter or Bogi depending on who TS saw as the long-term hold.

The question is why is Huerter being thought of as "equivalent" to Bogi?

If you were to put them both on the trading block today.. who do you think would get the most interest?

Bogi is a starting quality sniper.   He plays hard.   Milwaukee wanted him before we took him. 

KVon is a great guy but he doesn't translate nearly as well.    When we talk about KVon and Cam... the main conversation is still Potential.   Just because Cam has a Chris Crawford moment in the playoffs, it doesn't mean that he has arrived.   The good part is that Travis hasn't made any dumb moves based on potential.   So this year, we can watch closely.   I'm more inclined to see what we have in reality than what we potentially have. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The question is why is Huerter being thought of as "equivalent" to Bogi?

Who said they were equivalent?  Bogi is clearly the better player today.  What drives the question of which one TS would choose to protect is the fact that KVon is 23 years old this season while Bogi is 29 and the bulk of our core is age 20-24.  Bogi obviously costs more this year but Huerter is likely to close the gap in price to a point where that shouldn't be a big factor.  If Huerter was as good as Bogi today, it would be a no brainer to keep him.  It is precisely because one is better, one is younger, and both fill the same role on the floor (even if they are not equivalent) that I would want TS to weigh in as to how he projected Huerter and saw the team evolving going forward.  I think what we saw from Bogi last season after he got healthy probably represents his peak play to a degree where I don't think it is sustainable (in contrast to his full year numbers which seem a more realistic baseline for projecting forward).

• Like 2