• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm calling it right now...I think the Hawks will be the #1 seed in the East!

Peoriabird

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

If we end up with the first seed I’m gonna shave a pacman Hawks logo onto my chest for everybody. 

ps Still haven’t gotten my elusive tatt.

Better get it before they win that title! Then all the people at the shop would be looking at you like a bandwagoner. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

Give it more than a single game. Hell, we don't even have a great read on how good DAL is going to be--did we beat a quality team, or just one that gets a lot of hype?

I don't understand...you want me wait until game 82 to make a prediction? Or I should ask... when is the appropriate time to make a prediction?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, marco102 said:

I predicted 61-21.  Only @MarylandHawk was higher than me.  I believe he saw my prediction and said NO Marco!  I'm the biggest homer here and you're second!

I was actually thinking that this team is better than the 60 win atlanta team from before. I figured 20 losses was realistic albeit on the homer side. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I don't understand...you want me wait until game 82 to make a prediction? Or I should ask... when is the appropriate time to make a prediction?

Um. Did I quote the entire post? Didn't mean to. Meant to respond to just this part.

2021-10-23_14-18-33.png

That’s awesome some of you guys feel this way.  Here is where I disagree.  In the 40 years I’ve watched basketball, the champion typically has a top 5 player and usually another guy in the top 15-20 players in the league.  There are always two HOF players on the winning team, but many times three.  
Occasionally a team wins it all without fitting into that model, but it’s rare.  Right now as a fan that’s what I’m cheering for, that we get a title by breaking the usual mold.  

Those who feel like we have a solid championship roster today.  Do you reject my observation that historically the champion has at least two top 20 players typically?  Minimum of two HOF players is just factual so that one has no subjectivity.  

Lastly, in a league where teams are shooting 34 threes per game on average, some guys are advocating for us to get rid of Bogi and Gallo.  The only two guys capable of shooting 40% on 7 attempts per game.  Milwaukee as a team was shooting 40% from three, and they have Giannis.  So a future of low volume and low percentage shooting is going to win because “Wing Stop” is too solid and will shut EVERYTHING down.  Really think about that one.

Right now I’m giving this team about 15-20 games before I make any sort of conclusion.  My prediction is we finish as a 3-5 seed, and have a puncher’s chance at a title.  Other teams will be more heavily favored.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@FINAL_QUEST

Agreed.  However, the Atlanta Hawks have -0- all star players and the way we are regarded by so many fans and media people we may never have.

46-36 is projection for the year.  I believe I was the lowest on the pre season guestimate.  Hawks are good - really, really good.  But, so are the other NBA teams and "on any given night" applies here.  

Braves once had a 17% chance of making it to the World Series.  Betcha the Hawks haven't got much better odds of going to the championship games.  

NBA = a marathon, not a sprint.  Prepare for the long haul.

GO ATL !  Hawks!  Braves !  Falcons !!

:sun:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Lastly, in a league where teams are shooting 34 threes per game on average, some guys are advocating for us to get rid of Bogi and Gallo.  The only two guys capable of shooting 40% on 7 attempts per game.  

I've seen you try to make this point elsewhere. You do realize don't you that people aren't advocating for getting rid of Bogi and Gallo by stating the obvious reality that we aren't going to be able to afford everyone under the salary cap very soon?

Of course we would love to keep everyone for the rest of their careers, but that's not living in reality. 

Regarding the Hawks not having two top 20-30 players, get back with me at the end of the year with Trae and Hunter. I've got a feeling you won't be able to keep thinking that. 

Edited by RandomFan
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I've seen you try to make this point elsewhere. You do realize don't you that people aren't advocating for getting rid of Bogi and Gallo by stating the obvious reality that we aren't going to be able to afford everyone under the salary cap very soon?

Of course we would love to keep everyone for the rest of their careers, but that's not living in reality. 

Regarding the Hawks not having two top 20-30 players, get back with me at the end of the year with Trae and Hunter. I've got a feeling you won't be able to keep thinking that. 

I make the comments about Bogi and Gallo with total understanding that we will have tough decisions with our roster.  My point is IF both Bogi and Gallo are cut we are left with no high volume, high percentage shooters.  That will impact winning negatively.  It’s simple data analysis. There may be good reasons to go that direction, but believing we will also stay at the 60 win level afterwards is where I have DOUBT. Which everyone predicting #1 seed and 60 wins without those guys plus no significant additions are flat out wrong/crazy in my mind.

Your point about Hunter becoming a HOF player.  That remains to be seen.  The saying, “Hope is not a strategy” comes to mind.  This year he will reach the level of the other greats who teamed up with an MVP level guy to win it all?  At least recognize that is a BOLD statement.

I’m not saying we have zero chance at a title, but that it’s a stretch goal. I come from a business background.  We make cold assertions and require data and results.  We don’t yet meet the criteria for favorites to win a title.    That’s not a slam and we still have a lot to cheer for.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

My point is IF both Bogi and Gallo are cut we are left with no high volume, high percentage shooters

1. Gallo and/or Bogi won't just be 'cut' without options and/or possibly filling those roles wether via internal growth, draft or FAcy.

2. Huerter, Cam, Hunter will have to prove this year they can be those high volume percentage shooters....sometimes we forget how early they are in their careers. 

3. There is a possibility of releasing and resigning Gallo at a lower dollar amount. I think Gallo's standing will be determined by how well he's playing and how well we do as a team this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

2. Huerter, Cam, Hunter will have to prove this year they can be those high volume percentage shooters....sometimes we forget how early they are in their careers. 

I’ll say this,  we will know more after 30-40 games.  I want to see before I believe.  You guys are believing before it’s reality.  

32 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I’ll say this,  we will know more after 30-40 games.  I want to see before I believe.  You guys are believing before it’s reality.  

What exactly are we believing?  You keep saying everyone.  There are two people who said the Hawks would have over 60 wins. Me and @MarylandHawk.  Everyone else was below that. 

You act like we are supposed to curve our enthusiasm and take some scientific approach.  Being a fan is literally being a fanatic.  Fanatics aren't reasonable. It's not unreasonable to believe your team can make the NBA finals the season after they made the conference finals.  Go do your research on how many teams who make the conference finals go on to reach the NBA finals in the following season. You'll be surprised at the amount of teams that do. 

You are more than welcome to curb your enthusiasm.  Just let everyone else be in the process.

EDIT:  You said a team needs to have two top 30 players to reach the NBA finals.  During GS first run, they were seen to only have on top 30 player.  After they won it, that's when Klay and Draymond starting being revered.  That's generally how these things work.  Players have to prove they are in that level.  If the Hawks reach the conference finals or finals with Dre and Cam being excellent two way players, many will consider them top 30 players. Right now they aren't, but they can develop into that.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

What exactly are you looking for in 30-40 games?

Quick Look at 1st 3 NBA seasons for Huerter and Bogi -  3pt % and shots per game.

Huerter: 38.5% (4.7), 38% (6), 36% (5.6)

Bogi: 39.2% (4.2), 36% (5.3), 37% (7.2)

Last season was Bogi's first over 40% on 7.6 attempts.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

3. There is a possibility of releasing and resigning Gallo at a lower dollar amount. I think Gallo's standing will be determined by how well he's playing and how well we do as a team this year.

I think this point is probably a novel one to some, if not many, if not most... including our media friends who've taken for granted that Gallo won't be a Hawk next season. It's probable, sure, but as you've suggested, there's a plausible scenario where his agent and Schlenk figure out something longer term.

I'll throw some commentary in...

I'm excited for this team, but I think I'd be careful to drive slow. I think it's not outside the realm of possibility that you're not just going to have to deal with refs going overboard on their treatment of Trae, but also a little bit of what Miami dealt with last year, with teams no longer overlooking you because of what you did back in the summer.

Even considering that though, if I had to give something close to a prediction, I'd say 48-52 wins looks reasonable.

I will be ready to be in full gear by December lol. I'm still focusing on other sports and I can't say I'm that upset that yesterday's game turned out to be a sacrifice (what was working there in the summer is still working lulz, when the Hawks lost the Braves would win if both played on the same day most of the time and vice versa). 2nd game out of 82...