• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our Defense sucks right now!…Let’s talk about it!

JTB

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So....uummmm....what the heck happened here. I know he hasn't been effective but this? Very surprising. Can someone explain this?

Easily. He's extremely unlucky this year. Him, Terrence Ross, and Jalen Green. Especially Ross and Reddish. Its a lot of noise both ends. His production stats on both ends is no where close his impact stats. When stats are that noisy, it's just being unlucky. Cam and Ross and has worse noise stats in the last 8 seasons this year. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So....uummmm....what the heck happened here. I know he hasn't been effective but this? Very surprising. Can someone explain this?

I won't pretend to know how they calculate this but I know a lot of defensive stats for individuals are actually just reflections of who they're sharing the floor with.  I wonder if that's the case here considering Cam has been logging a lot of minutes with Lou/Gallo/Dieng/Mays.

Bogi is part of the problem too but isn't often brought up.  He's very limited by his height and wingspan and isn't as quick/athletic.  I don't think Schlenk expected to be in win-now compete mode when he made that RFA offer.  I think we were just content making it to the playoffs.  It will be interesting to see who of Cam/Hunter/Bogi/Gallo/JC stays with the roster if Travis actually retools at this deadline.  I am with @terrell that OO/Hunter should be untouchable right now.  Hunter only available if the return is a true superstar/all-NBA type player.

@JayBirdHawk By RAD, Cam is a defensive disrupter and playing better D than he did last year. Like I said, Cam sadly is a product of being extremely unlucky. It happens. Last year, he was extremely unproductive offensively yet he ended up with a 0 WAR. He didn't deserve in the RS. To me, he's been better this year than last on both ends. I could care less about metrics. They tell you about the situation their in, not the entire story. 

https://apanalytics.shinyapps.io/disruption/

All of his offensive metrics have tripled but his noise even on that end is extremely bad. Him and Terrance Ross are the probably the two most unlucky players in the last 10 seasons. It happens. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

@JayBirdHawk By RAD, Cam is a defensive disrupter and playing better D than he did last year. Like I said, Cam sadly is a product of being extremely unlucky. It happens. Last year, he was extremely unproductive offensively yet he ended up with a 0 WAR. He didn't deserve in the RS. To me, he's been better this year than last on both ends. I could care less about metrics. They tell you about the situation their in, not the entire story. 

https://apanalytics.shinyapps.io/disruption/

All of his offensive metrics have tripled but his noise even on that end is extremely bad. Him and Terrance Ross are the probably the two most unlucky players in the last 10 seasons. It happens. 

RAD??? I have no idea what that means....seems like every season there is a new metric.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hopefully it's not a mirage and they continue.  Good Job guys.

There’s a few factors in the Hawks’ defensive turnaround, namely getting De’Andre Hunter, a long, physical and disruptive wing on a roll after coming back from wrist surgery Jan. 12.

“Awful lot,” Hawks coach Nate McMillan said of how Hunter can help the Hawks’ defense. “He’s a guy, he has size, his ability to guard the 1, 2, 3 and the 4 position, and tonight we started him on (LaMelo) Ball to try and just stay in front. I thought he did a really good job of containing him and trying to stay in front, but he certainly helps us because he can help establish the type of defense that we want to play. I think Kevin (Huerter) and Trae (Young) are doing a better job of stepping up and guarding their man, so really the whole unit has really changed their mindset as far as playing on the defensive end of the floor. They’re playing with a lot more urgency. We’re more connected on the defensive end of the floor. And this is something they have to continue to build off of.”

They also have Capela, who has battled heel pain throughout the season but cleans up ample messes for them at the rim, back after missing six games with a left ankle sprain.

And second-year center Onyeka Okongwu, who played exceptionally well as a starter in Capela’s absence, beefs up the defense on the bench unit. The Hawks have gotten great production from that second unit on this streak, including from Delon Wright and Danilo Gallinari.

The Hawks also have, as Capela in early January clamored for them to do on defense, “put more heart on it.”

• Thanks 1

As long as we have two HEALTHY (key word) high level defenders on each unit (Dre/ Clint, Delon/ OO) we good money.  Simple as that.  Healthy Dre controls the grace and efficiency of the team’s two-way and transition play, especially if he’s gonna knock the three down consistently. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 2:34 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

:cray2: We just can get a full complement of our squad together for any stretch if meaningful games.

Every time he’s quoted here it’s quality, does he have a medium other than Twitter?  That point of attack is so key.  Kevin (especially in Cam’s banishment) has to spell Dre and Delon better then he has.  I don’t like Bogi at the POA, too jumpy.

That last sentence is just mind boggling.  Trae has done a great job holding it together lately, it’s time to take off now.

Edited by benhillboy