• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our Defense sucks right now!…Let’s talk about it!

JTB

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The team as a whole has not played well on defense. Too many missed reads, misdirection, forcing players to the help,  no help defense when needed. The team defense has been bad. Just not enough communication.  And the guys who are supposed to be the defenders aren't showing up with any level of consistency - Capela, Hunter and Cam.

Just one example.

Cam is thinking way too much this year. He was more natural defensively last year and more in tuned to what LP wanted from him defensively. I see him missing assignments often. Hunter is the only one I see not missing assignments but he's terrible this year off the ball and communicating. Kev just been all over the place as has Bogi. It's been bad defensively for us. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Cam is thinking way too much this year. He was more natural defensively last year and more in tuned to what LP wanted from him defensively. I see him missing assignments often. Hunter is the only one I see not missing assignments but he's terrible this year off the ball and communicating. Kev just been all over the place as has Bogi. It's been bad defensively for us. 

Basically if you predicted any of our wings would not play well this year, you were correct.  I'm fine with at least one of them becoming reliable and consistent.  Otherwise I was even looking at Van Vleet as a trade target.  

Cam/Hunter might be the only option as is Bogi/Kev. The problem with Bogi/Kev is we need Capela to be last year Capela. Anything less and we don't have enough defense. Cam and Hunter means Cam offense is sacrificed whereas Hunter is unleashed. It might be worth a shot if Bogi and Kev can't get it together. 

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Cam/Hunter might be the only option as is Bogi/Kev. The problem with Bogi/Kev is we need Capela to be last year Capela. Anything less and we don't have enough defense. Cam and Hunter means Cam offense is sacrificed whereas Hunter is unleashed. It might be worth a shot if Bogi and Kev can't get it together. 

Not gon lie coming into the season I didn’t think we’d have a wing problem once our main 4 got healthy….smh this isn’t a good thing at all. 
Wing position to many including myself is probably the most important in this nba era, followed by reliable big man rotation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JTB said:

Not gon lie coming into the season I didn’t think we’d have a wing problem once our main 4 got healthy….smh this isn’t a good thing at all. 
Wing position to many including myself is probably the most important in this nba era, followed by reliable big man rotation.

Same. Who would have thought Kev/Bogi would struggle to start but both missed most of the offseason so it makes sense. Capela had the same issue and it makes sense. As did Dre. Cam is the one that we need to step up consistently. He had a full offseason. 

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The team as a whole has not played well on defense. Too many missed reads, misdirection, forcing players to the help,  no help defense when needed. The team defense has been bad. Just not enough communication.  And the guys who are supposed to be the defenders aren't showing up with any level of consistency - Capela, Hunter and Cam.

Just one example.

I agree in theory but this is tough for Cam to get over and help and Bogi can’t leave will the thrill Barton at the 3 either.

This is a bad example of needed help d but rather an earned bucket by Jokic. I agree Cam and Hunter need to play better D but this isn’t the example we need to look at imo. There have been much worse plays.

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

It was awful last year but we used to get a lot more open threes and Trae used to get to the FT line more. Offensively, Trae hasn't regressed much but defensively, he's the worst in the NBA and has a lot. Same for Capela who defense is a net negative when last year, it was in the top 5 for all players. 

I actually think Trae's defense has been decent the past few games. In Utah, it was one of his better games.  

I think the scheme has changed and everyone needs to adjust. However, we need a healthy Capela to have a shot at being a good defense.

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

I actually think Trae's defense has been decent the past few games. In Utah, it was one of his better games.  

I think the scheme has changed and everyone needs to adjust. However, we need a healthy Capela to have a shot at being a good defense.

As Some of us IT folks say “Roll it back”…cause nothing was wrong with scheme last season so why so many changes to the offense and defense. 
Play the scheme that made you successful and add small adjustments. McMillan understood the assignment last season and did just that …small good adjustments. But these full blown adjustments are over the top and not working!….”Roll it back!!!”

• Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 2:57 PM, JTB said:

So a few Squawkers had some words stating “I’m not surprised we have a board member thinking offense is the problem when the defense is putrid“….or something along those lines. 

So let’s talk about the poor defense….and I will go first with my perspective.

IF you haven’t heard by now Capela is hurt and playing hurt dealing with an achllies injury I believe. In my perspective capela injury is the ONLY reason our defense isn’t good right now as a whole. Trae is an awful defender no shock here but Cam, Hunter, Collins are playing good defensively (eye test not looking at numbers) but we never see this group on the court at the same time. Personally I believe the defense can be fixed easier than the offensive struggles right now. Defensively if McMillan puts in a lineup of Trae, Cam, Hunter, Collins, with split minutes between Capela and Dieng I would bet anyone that we’d see major improvement!

Yes defense isn’t good but PLEASE stop ignoring the fact that Capela is HURT!…when capela is not healthy he can’t help cover bad defensive moments from Trae and Bogi. If capela were healthy we are not having defensive conversations but since he’s not McMillan may need to put in place a more defensive unit and only have one poor defender in the starting unit which would be Trae.

I just watched a replay of the game... Dear lord... If they continue like this on the defensive end, at 25 games mark they will be 6-19... Last night there was not 1 single Denver player who couldn't walk through ATL defense all the way to the rim. And if he missed, DEN would get at least one offensive rebound. Final result doesn't actually reflect how bad the Hawks were last night. Every guard/wing on Hawks roster should be beaten with s*it-stick for last night performance. Starting with Trae.

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JTB said:

As Some of us IT folks say “Roll it back”…cause nothing was wrong with scheme last season so why so many changes to the offense and defense. 
Play the scheme that made you successful and add small adjustments. McMillan understood the assignment last season and did just that …small good adjustments. But these full blown adjustments are over the top and not working!….”Roll it back!!!”

I'm not a fan of Nate's offenses, see Portland and Indy, slow plodding, methodical. They just get to a point and stall.  Then he changed up the defensive scheme as well as well as brought in his own coaches.

I'm hoping it just needs time to work out the kinks, and players learn and understand where they need to be. 

One thing they need to fix is allowing dribble penetration right down the middle.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I talked about this over a week ago...pulling Capela out the paint on switches is mind boggling. Let him guard the rim.

I wonder who will make the first “Fire Nate McMillan” thread! Lol cause he sure is going down that road

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
On 11/12/2021 at 7:45 PM, JTB said:

Capela “going harder” or “getting more tense” aka physical just sounds like a bad idea for big man that has a Achilles injury and trying to work himself into game shape.

smh…I hope the increased intensity doesn’t set him back . I like McMillan but him and his staff should really discuss only playing healthy players…just saying , this may be the most frustrating stubborn thing McMillan is doing since taking over.

Seems like it's more a conditioning issue for Capela...

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 11/12/2021 at 12:32 PM, Spud2nique said:

But you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night?

kg made me do it. His exact words were.. “ do it”…

On 11/12/2021 at 12:20 PM, AHF said:

I'm not a doctor and didn't even spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  That said, he looks more than winded to me on the floor.  If his explosiveness will return as he gets in shape then great.  I'd certainly rather play with him getting better every game than try to win without him.  But if he is hurting his recovery by playing that doesn't make a lot of sense to push.

:heya:

• Haha 2