• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Start Gallo at the 3

TheNorthCydeRises

If I'm Nate, I'm going with the playoff lineup:

Trae - Kevin - Gallo - Johnny MiniMax - Capela

This lineup keeps the shooting threat out on the floor, while also giving you a better chance at rebounds.

After starting big, go small with Lou or Delon coming into the game. Next sub should be Dieng to replace Capela.

4 min mark in 1st

Trae - Delon/Lou - Kevin - Collins - Dieng

Of course Solo will have to play, as well as TLC.  What I don't want is more than 3 bench guys in the game at once.  Capela or Collins need to be in the game at all times, even if you play Dieng and Capela together.  Trae may have to go 36 minutes, depending if he wants to play small or not.

Just stagger the minutes so that we don't have unnecessary scoring droughts, like we saw in the 4th quarter of the Knicks game.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'd go with Trae / Delon / Kev / JC / Cap myself.    Good D in the lineup.   We don't really need scoring from Delon with Trae/dev/jc and the bench is still a threat rotating in Gallo, Lou.   Will have to get something good out of TLC and Dieng or we're going to have a very short rotation.  

• Like 1

Not sure if that helps. We only lost to the Knicks because Gallo and Huerter missed everything. If Gallo isn’t playing like a bum then I think we’re better off with most of his minutes going towards stabilizing the offense with Trae on the bench. 

• Premium Member

I keep hearing chatter about giving JJ burn but I think everyone here will be sorely disappointed with how awful his defense is.  And he has zero chemistry with the first or second unit right now, so I don't know if it makes sense to give him burn while we wait for Bogi/Cam to return -- I'd rather slowly leak him into the bench lineups when he's ready (hopefully around mid season) like we did with OO

• Like 2

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I keep hearing chatter about giving JJ burn but I think everyone here will be sorely disappointed with how awful his defense is.  And he has zero chemistry with the first or second unit right now, so I don't know if it makes sense to give him burn while we wait for Bogi/Cam to return -- I'd rather slowly leak him into the bench lineups when he's ready (hopefully around mid season) like we did with OO

100%.  I see folks all over twitter losing their minds because Nate said JJ won't be in the rotation yet.   This isn't the lottery Hawks.   We're trying to win games and JJ has played very little post-high school ball in his life.   I'd love to see what he has but Nate sees it everyday.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

100%.  I see folks all over twitter losing their minds because Nate said JJ won't be in the rotation yet.   This isn't the lottery Hawks.   We're trying to win games and JJ has played very little post-high school ball in his life.   I'd love to see what he has but Nate sees it everyday.  

I think one of the hardest adjustments guys have to make is on the defensive end and how fast the game is played.  Even if you can score very efficiently on offense, if you're missing rotations that lead to free layups on D, you just can't be on the floor.  And JJs position matters a lot on D, he can't hide on the corner 3 man like a PG

• Moderators
18 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I would like to see our rookies lead the SkyHawks to a win. They are 0-6.

Yeah and I haven't watched the games so i dont' really know but i'm curious how with basically 3, 2 way players and putting up big numbers we are still losing.   As others have said it's probably bad defense.

• Premium Member
On 12/1/2021 at 3:07 PM, macdaddy said:

I keep thinking about this too. JJ has got to be stinking it up some kind of way in practice if he can't even get limited spot duty... especially with the injuries.

Question for the board though: 

We're not using them and if they're so bad that they can't get ANY meaningful PT, why not just let them play in the GLeague?  Was there some other reason why we called them up?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I keep thinking about this too. JJ has got to be stinking it up some kind of way in practice if he can't even get limited spot duty... especially with the injuries.

Question for the board though: 

We're not using them and if they're so bad that they can't get ANY meaningful PT, why not just let them play in the GLeague?  Where's there? Some other reason why we called them up?

I don't understand.   JJ and Rife are playing in the G league.

• Premium Member

Am I the only person in the world who has noticed over the past 2 years that Gallo can only score when he is being guarded by someone smaller than him?    It is the surest bet in sports these days.  If he is guarded by someone his size or taller he will miss the jump shot.  If he is guarded by someone smaller he will make it.    I feel like this is accurate 90% of the time.  I scream at Gallo on the TV to get rid of the ball every time he has someone his size on him, yet he still continues to throw up bricks in those scenarios.

Am I just smarter and more observant than the team of NBA coaches on the sidelines?  Why isn't Gallo told specifically told to move the F-ing ball if he is guarded by someone his size?   Why doesn't he realize that himself and give up the ball in those situations?  On the flipside, when he has someone smaller on him he should have the green light 100% and be a top option.

really frustrating watching the games and seeing this repeat itself game in game out when it seems crystal clear to me.

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't understand.   JJ and Rife are playing in the G league.

OK, I'm super dang confused then. I saw that we sent them to the G League.   I saw the updates about how they were doing. Then I saw that we recalled them back from the G League and I've seen them sitting on the sidelines and I saw them come in for garbage time. 

So...did I miss the part where they were sent back back to the GLeague? Or is there some ridiculous thing that I'm not aware of lol...like, am I not understanding the process of sending them and recalling them to and from the development League? 

Help a Squawker out... 🥴

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Wretch said:

OK, I'm super dang confused then. I saw that we sent them to the G League.   I saw the updates about how they were doing. Then I saw that we recalled them back from the G League and I've seen them sitting on the sidelines and I saw them come in for garbage time. 

So...did I miss the part where they were sent back back to the GLeague? Or is there some ridiculous thing that I'm not aware of lol...like, am I not understanding the process of sending them and recalling them to and from the development League? 

Help a Squawker out... 🥴

They've been going back and forth, they were up with the Hawks on the homestand when the GL didn't have any games. 

They were with the GL when we went on the last road trip.

They have played in all 6 of the GL games. They have not won one game as yet.

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, shakes said:

Am I the only person in the world who has noticed over the past 2 years that Gallo can only score when he is being guarded by someone smaller than him?    It is the surest bet in sports these days.  If he is guarded by someone his size or taller he will miss the jump shot.  If he is guarded by someone smaller he will make it.    I feel like this is accurate 90% of the time.  I scream at Gallo on the TV to get rid of the ball every time he has someone his size on him, yet he still continues to throw up bricks in those scenarios.

Am I just smarter and more observant than the team of NBA coaches on the sidelines?  Why isn't Gallo told specifically told to move the F-ing ball if he is guarded by someone his size?   Why doesn't he realize that himself and give up the ball in those situations?  On the flipside, when he has someone smaller on him he should have the green light 100% and be a top option.

really frustrating watching the games and seeing this repeat itself game in game out when it seems crystal clear to me.

Your observations are correct.  That's also the reason why I would play him more at the 3.  He has the size advantage over his man and will be able to get cleaner looks at the basket.

Look at some of the looks he got in Game 7 vs Philly