• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

....and here we Go! Hawks COVID cases. UPDATED! 13 Players to H&S

JayBirdHawk

23 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I think it's more to do with the players association than the NBA.  The NBA is happy to pack arenas full of 19,000 people -- masked or not, vaccinated or not, tested or not, and do that every night, game after game.  The vaccine has been available almost a year now and there are also boosters available.  At some point, assuming hospitals are not clogged, you have to stop moving the goal posts and go on with life.  The NBA and lots of organizations are struggling with this because there's still a hangover effect of bad PR and politicization of the pandemic.  My 2 cents

I also think with vaccines and booster available, fans in stands, NBA and players association should consider dialing back protocols. But everything is a PR, leverage point. So if the NBA tried the players association would say " they are putting the health of players at risk," blah, blah, blah, then ask for something else in exchange for that. So there is the bargaining chip aspect to it as well

9 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I also think with vaccines and booster available, fans in stands, NBA and players association should consider dialing back protocols. But everything is a PR, leverage point. So if the NBA tried the players association would say " they are putting the health of players at risk," blah, blah, blah, then ask for something else in exchange for that. So there is the bargaining chip aspect to it as well

Are you one of those people where you need someone you know to die from covid before you care about people who legitimately have concerns about covid?  You don't know who in the NBA has immunocompromised family members. 

I think they should be requiring vaccinations and masks to enter NBA arenas, but the PR on that would be bad too because people just want to live life. 

It's pressure's from both sides for businesses.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Delta fizzled out, if you recall. There is a case to be made against highly sensitive tests. New York times had an interesting piece on it. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

I don't think this is true.  The former surgeon general said, just last week, this is not the case.

So I can believe him or you, I guess.

Full disclosure, he also said the current outbreak was delta not omicron so who knows.

37 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I think it's more to do with the players association than the NBA.  The NBA is happy to pack arenas full of 19,000 people -- masked or not, vaccinated or not, tested or not, and do that every night, game after game.  The vaccine has been available almost a year now and there are also boosters available.  At some point, assuming hospitals are not clogged, you have to stop moving the goal posts and go on with life.  The NBA and lots of organizations are struggling with this because there's still a hangover effect of bad PR and politicization of the pandemic.  My 2 cents

The hospitals are clogged though, which is the problem.  Can't get hospitalizations down with all these folks going back to 'normal'.  All these asymptomatic folks spreadin' it around until it gets to some group that's not healthy enough to avoid going on a ventilator.

Now the person who gets non-covid sick or gets into an accident can't get adequate care because the hospitals are treatin' folks in the parking lot since all the beds are full.

That's the problem.  I know how people feel.  I hate wearing a mask and I can't stand gettin' that tiny broom shoved up my nostril until it tickles my brain.  But I really can't understand why it's so hard for people to see the path to truly getting back to normal.  Ignoring testing ain't it.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, shakes said:

I actually represented his brother in a personal injury motorcycle crash case many moons ago.  Actually my dad represented him as i was a lowly law clerk back then.

But I do have a very weird Scottie story.   Growing up I knew where all the Bulls players lived since they all lived in my hometown or the town next to me.   Every once in a while me and my buddies would drive by their houses.  One night we drove by Scottie's house and noticed his garbage was out.  On top of the garbage was a Nike shoe box.  Could I really be that lucky?  Was there a pair of Scottie Pippen game worn shoes in there?  So of course I got out of the car and dumpster dove into Scottie's trash.  Unfortunately the box was empty but it still held the tissue paper from the shoes.  So I did what any reasonable person would do in that situation...i took the empty box home and for the next decade used it to keep my basketball shoes in there when I wasn't playing.  I figured some of Scottie would rub off on them and make me a better player.

So long story short, yes I am basically Scottie Pippen on the basketball court.

Only Scottie Pippen would know all these details.

So .. Scottie, I demand pics of your ex-wife to protect your secret identity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Are you one of those people where you need someone you know to die from covid before you care about people who legitimately have concerns about covid?  You don't know who in the NBA has immunocompromised family members. 

I think they should be requiring vaccinations and masks to enter NBA arenas, but the PR on that would be bad too because people just want to live life. 

If you are fully vaccinated what is the risk of death?    

7 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Nice strawman. I'm not disputing the countless deaths from Covid. But with Vaccines and boosters available, the risks are drastically reduced. So far there is only one Omnicron death reported. One, in a nation of 330,000,000.  Maybe, just maybe this could be an overreaction. Positive tests to a relatively weak strain might not be as meaningful in a post vaccinated world as they once were. 

• Like 2

Just now, bleachkit said:

Nice strawman. I'm not disputing the countless deaths from Covid. But with Vaccines and boosters available, the risks are drastically reduced. So far there is only one Omnicron death reported. One, in a nation of 330,000,000.  Maybe, just maybe this could be an overreaction. Positive tests to a relatively weak strain might not be as meaningful in a post vaccinated world as they once were. 

No, you always come on here talking like NBA players are just for your entertainment. It's the way you've been the entire time about the virus.  They cancelled games.  You whine about not being able to see  basketball.  These are real people who have real lives and you don't know one iota about what they or family members may have going on in their bodies. Yet you are always talking about risks this and risks that.  Well take your ass out there and play basketball and get COVID and have to use an inhaler like Jason Tatum for months or not be able to get right like Mo Bamba for like six months or lose a mother like KAT. 

These are real life consequences that you are always down playing because for some reason it doesn't meet your personal risk standards. Have some compassion for people.

It wasn't a straw man either. Just sick of you ranting about your personal assessment of risks because those small risks (deaths or long term health problems) haven't affected you personally.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Here's what I see:

image.png

The Delta spike from Jul-Sep was devastating from all accounts I've heard (providers at work, sister that's an ER nurse, etc.) and the data matches that.  We haven't seen anything comparable with this current spike but it's still possible in the coming weeks.  Omicron variant took over about a week or two ago so we should know a lot more in the next ~2-3 weeks.  All signs right now point to it being more mild.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Not seeing that in any of the markets we operate in at work or in the GA hospitals.  What are you looking at that shows hospitals are full?

Hospitalizations

New Hospital Admissions

The current 7-day daily average for December 8–December 14, 2021, was 7,814. This is a 4.4% increase from the prior 7-day average (7,482) from December 1 –December 7, 2021.

Total New Admissions

Current 7-Day Average

Prior 7-Day Average

+4.4%
Change in 7-Day Average

Not sure if that means they are clogged, but hospitalizations are increasing like with any other wave as cases increase. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Here's what I see:

image.png

The Delta spike from Jul-Sep was devastating from all accounts I've heard (providers at work, sister that's an ER nurse, etc.) and the data matches that.  We haven't seen anything comparable with this current spike but it's still possible in the coming weeks.  Omicron variant took over about a week or two ago so we should know a lot more in the next ~2-3 weeks.  All signs right now point to it being more mild.  

I've been reading that it's more mild because people either have had COVID are getting reinfected and have some immunity or they are vaccinated. 

It could be just as bad as the other variants if you haven't had covid and are unvaccinated. The fact that it's spreading so much quicker is alarming too. 

• Premium Member
Just now, marco102 said:

Hospitalizations

New Hospital Admissions

The current 7-day daily average for December 8–December 14, 2021, was 7,814. This is a 4.4% increase from the prior 7-day average (7,482) from December 1 –December 7, 2021.

Total New Admissions

Current 7-Day Average

Prior 7-Day Average

+4.4%
Change in 7-Day Average

Not sure if that means they are clogged, but hospitalizations are increasing like with any other wave as cases increase. 

This is typical of every flu season though, nothing extraordinary.  You can look at hospital bed usage, ventilator usage, and ICU patients at the website below.  We're not seeing anything alarming right yet.

https://covid-hub.gio.georgia.gov/apps/georgia-hospital-bed-ventilator-capacity/explore

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

No, you always come on here talking like NBA players are just for your entertainment. It's the way you've been the entire time about the virus.  They cancelled games.  You whine about not being able to see  basketball.  These are real people who have real lives and you don't know one iota about what they or family members may have going on in their bodies. Yet you are always talking about risks this and risks that.  Well take your ass out there and play basketball and get COVID and have to use an inhaler like Jason Tatum for months or not be able to get right like Mo Bamba for like six months or lose a mother like KAT. 

These are real life consequences that you are always down playing because for some reason it doesn't meet your personal risk standards. Have some compassion for people.

It wasn't a straw man either. Just sick of you ranting about your personal assessment of risks because those small risks (deaths or long term health problems) haven't affected you personally.

NBA players are at no greater risk than the grocery clerk, the mail carrier, or anyone else. There are about 500 or so NBA players, and not a single one has been hospitalized with Covid. If you sampled any 500 random people, of course there will be many who got Covid, and many who got symptoms, and maybe even a few who died. You seem to think 20 somethings playing basketball are at unique risk of getting and suffering from Covid. Actually, with their youth, good health and access to doctors they are among the lowest risk. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, marco102 said:

That you spread it to someone who is vaccinated but is immunocompromised. 

It's not all about you here.

You didn't answer my question.  What is the risk of death to vaccinated people?