• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

....and here we Go! Hawks COVID cases. UPDATED! 13 Players to H&S

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Other teams have had to deal with it.  IIWII

Now what we could do (if we sell our soul) is what the 6ers are doing.  Sitting healthy guys to get under the threshold of being able to play.  Basically cherry-picking which games they want postponed.  It's beyond shady and right in line with what I'd expect GLLLLenn Rivers to do.

I don't remember any team having four out of five starters out. When the Bulls finally hit that mark they started postponing their games. I have no problems with sitting healthy players in order to postpone the games until we actually have our real players back and not washed up has beens like Lance Stephenson being forced to play.

5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I don't remember any team having four out of five starters out. When the Bulls finally hit that mark they started postponing their games. I have no problems with sitting healthy players in order to postpone the games until we actually have our real players back and not washed up has beens like Lance Stephenson being forced to play.

Nope, they iiuc got down to under 7 healthy/available to play.  Had nothing to do with starters v reserves available.

I too would prefer we postpone than watch turds like Lantz in a Hawks uni, but I don't think any team that's played has had it much better than we do right now.

So, in typical fashion, we're arguing but we actually agree with each other for the most part. 😆

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Stop testing asymptomatic people.  This shit is never going to end.  We’ll run out of letters in the alphabet before we run out of variants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sothron said:

They need to postpone our games. This is absurd. We are now out FOUR out of FIVE starters. No Trae, Bogi, Capela and Hunter. Why even play the damn games? We have no chance of winning like that.

Bogi should be back right?

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Diesel said:

Not for Christmas. 

It will be Lance Stephen, Joe Johnson, You, Ron, and Me out there logging 48 minutes on Christmas day. 

We're screwed cause I've been on the Long term IR for basketball since back surgery #3 in 2000.      Tried shooting a top of the key shot last year just for the heck of it and immediately felt like I needed to get a cortisone shot in my wrist.   Plus I have a bad attitude.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, shakes said:

We're screwed cause I've been on the Long term IR for basketball since back surgery #3 in 2000.      Tried shooting a top of the key shot last year just for the heck of it and immediately felt like I needed to get a cortisone shot in my wrist.   Plus I have a bad attitude.

But, other than all that, you're an all-star. 😉

Ha, if I got out there I'd immediately morph into Anthony Davis writhing in pain at the slightest contact.

My halftime interview would be something like ...

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e477q306zby6h1g8rua21

• Haha 4

NBA could consider doing what college football did when they had a rash of positive cases. Simply using a less sensitive test. Tests have different thresholds for positivity, and the NBA uses an extremely sensitive test. A less sensitive test would be less likely to register as positive. So far Omnicron hospitalizations and deaths are negligible, most likely this will fizzle out as did previous variants. 

13 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

NBA could consider doing what college football did when they had a rash of positive cases. Simply using a less sensitive test. Tests have different thresholds for positivity, and the NBA uses an extremely sensitive test. A less sensitive test would be less likely to register as positive. So far Omnicron hospitalizations and deaths are negligible, most likely this will fizzle out as did previous variants. 

What previous variants fizzled out?

Also, this is only the solution if you don't intend to actually test anyway and were just doing it for show.  Which is most likely the case with college football.

If that was the NBA's intent, they wouldn't be doing all this in the first place.

If you don't think they should be testing, that's fine.  Then the fake-test is the way to go.  But it seems clear the NBA, for better or worse, is serious about 'this' so going less sensitive isn't likely on the table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, kg01 said:

But it seems clear the NBA, for better or worse, is serious about 'this' so going less sensitive isn't likely on the table.

I think it's more to do with the players association than the NBA.  The NBA is happy to pack arenas full of 19,000 people -- masked or not, vaccinated or not, tested or not, and do that every night, game after game.  The vaccine has been available almost a year now and there are also boosters available.  At some point, assuming hospitals are not clogged, you have to stop moving the goal posts and go on with life.  The NBA and lots of organizations are struggling with this because there's still a hangover effect of bad PR and politicization of the pandemic.  My 2 cents

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, kg01 said:

What previous variants fizzled out?

Also, this is only the solution if you don't intend to actually test anyway and were just doing it for show.  Which is most likely the case with college football.

If that was the NBA's intent, they wouldn't be doing all this in the first place.

If you don't think they should be testing, that's fine.  Then the fake-test is the way to go.  But it seems clear the NBA, for better or worse, is serious about 'this' so going less sensitive isn't likely on the table.

Delta fizzled out, if you recall. There is a case to be made against highly sensitive tests. New York times had an interesting piece on it. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html