• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

....and here we Go! Hawks COVID cases. UPDATED! 13 Players to H&S

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Here's what should happen.

Don't misunderstand... there's no way on God's green earth this will happen. But it's what should happen, in the interest of restoring some integrity to this season.

- Teams' wins count as wins as normal.

- But teams' losses count as losses only for games in which a team had no more than 2 of its top 12 players in minutes played previous to the omicron spike sidelined.  Other losses don't count in the loss column.

Haven't looked at how that standard would affect the Hawks or any other team, so it's not contrived. It's straight-up the best idea I've seen for mitigating.... not totally resolving, mind you, but mitigating... this stupid-ridiculous semi-pro season in the midst of a regular season.

9 hours ago, sturt said:

2022-01-11_23-21-58.png

I kind of agree with this sentiment, but realistically we don't have much time to accomplish this.

We only have 15 games left before the trade deadline, and Dre, Cam, Clint are still dealing with injury. We may not see all of our top-12 together for a couple more games, and that's only if nobody else goes down in the mean time. Then there is the whole chemistry, rhythm and rotation thing for them to figure out when they do get back.

Most teams typically wait until the last day to pull the trigger on trades, but the lines are ringing now and you have to engage to put the parameters of these deals in place way in advance.

Meaning. Even though we likely won't see a trade until Feb 9th or 10th, Travis can't sit back and wait until everyone is healthy before he has serious conversations. He has to (and I'm sure already has) wrap his head around what this team is and what this team needs based on what they have shown even at less than full strength.

Things are moving now, ideal or not, it is what it is.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I kind of agree with this sentiment, but realistically we don't have much time to accomplish this.

We only have 15 games left before the trade deadline, and Dre, Cam, Clint are still dealing with injury. We may not see all of our top-12 together for a couple more games, and that's only if nobody else goes down in the mean time. Then there is the whole chemistry, rhythm and rotation thing for them to figure out when they do get back.

Most teams typically wait until the last day to pull the trigger on trades, but the lines are ringing now and you have to engage to put the parameters of these deals in place way in advance.

Meaning. Even though we likely won't see a trade until Feb 9th or 10th, Travis can't sit back and wait until everyone is healthy before he has serious conversations. He has to (and I'm sure already has) wrap his head around what this team is and what this team needs based on what they have shown even at less than full strength.

I love talking trades, and love this time of the year, trades, talks of trades, rumors of trades, but I do think it's more likely than not we see a smaller in season trade vs a big one. The big one is more likely to occur at the draft.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

See if you agree.

If you make a major trade 15 games later (ostensibly obtaining a new high-minutes player), how is that likely helping, given

(a) trades inherently are made when two sides both are satisfied they're getting equal value in exchange, and as the ones with the most to lose if they're wrong, are the ones whose wisdom ordinarily will be better than anyone else's....

and (b) effectively, you re-set the clock again on the team developing a chemistry that...

(c) you can't actually even know empirically is going to happen, whereas you do have empirical knowledge that this current roster has had that.

Right?

It's the epitome of the perception of greener grass just because it's the other side of the fence... the lure of the cute young thing at the other table versus the lure of the person sitting across from you at your table, wearing the ring you gave her.

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I do think it's more likely than not we see a smaller in season trade vs a big one.

Would be casually interested to probe your brain for what's your favorite smaller trade idea. Truly.

Honestly, even though I know there are disappointments at the end of the bench, I also know what those guys have done in previous seasons, and I'm slow to presume their experience and history of production wouldn't prove valuable in post season.

That said, I feel you really do have to give McM a Solomon Hill type of utility knife someway somehow.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, sturt said:

Would be casually interested to probe your brain for what's your favorite smaller trade idea. Truly.

Honestly, even though I know there are disappointments at the end of the bench, I also know what those guys have done in previous seasons, and I'm slow to presume their experience and history of production wouldn't prove valuable in post season.

That said, I feel you really do have to give McM a Solomon Hill type of utility knife someway somehow.

Something similar like the Rondo/Lou trade.

Lou ($5 mil)and 2 2nds (or the OKC 1st back to them) for Kenrich Williams ($2 mil). Hawks save $3 mil and have Kenrich for an additional year at $2 mil and it prevents Nate from giving Lou minutes. 

I would also do a similar trade for Mike Muscala (one 2nd) for additional size, we sometimes play too small

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Can we get Jeff Green from DEN?  He is what we wanted Lolomon to be.

A straight up trade of Green and Hill puts us into luxury tax, can't see us going over for Green.

We can offer Lou but then I think that puts Denver into LT or very close to it.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I love talking trades, and love this time of the year, trades, talks of trades, rumors of trades, but I do think it's more likely than not we see a smaller in season trade vs a big one. The big one is more likely to occur at the draft.

I hope so, I want to know for sure last year was a fluke and for whatever reason these guys just can't get back to what they were. So for me I'm fine with going the rest of the season to see if they can fix it. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A straight up trade of Green and Hill puts us into luxury tax, can't see us going over for Green.

We can offer Lou but then I think that puts Denver into LT or very close to it.

Even if we were to trade for him, those aren't realistic trades for Denver. Jeff Green has played a really important role for Denver ever since MPJ went down. His value is much higher than that of Lou Williams or Solomon Hill. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, sturt said:

Here's another.

Batum ($3.1) and Justise Winslow ($3.9) for Lou ($5) and TLC ($1.9) (or we'd have to release him to clear a roster spot) - LAC clears the salary for next season off their books.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Here's another.

Batum ($3.1) and Justise Winslow ($3.9) for Lou ($5) and TLC ($1.9) (or we'd have to release him to clear a roster spot) - LAC clears the salary for next season off their books.  

Hey Batum for Lou is my idea!!  somewhere....

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 1/12/2022 at 11:29 AM, sturt said:

I know I'm convinced I know with 95% confidence what that reason is. But that's just me. Or, mostly me. Maybe a handful of others.

Here's at least one other in that handful...

I'm tellin ya, Travis... don't over think this....

tenor.gif

... when they were together last season and post season. They really are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2