• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

An honest look back at Tanking.

thecampster

Lets go back to 2016-2017, 5 seasons ago.  The Hawks were 2 years removed from the 60 win team and had fallen to a 43-39 record. A loud chorus of voices wanted to start tanking to rebuild through high draft picks, claiming we were on the playoff hamster wheel, unable to claim glory but unable to get off the wheel either.

A small minority of us (myself included), advocated for trades to rebuild, not to tank. Risking rebuke, I aligned myself with @kb21 and others to advocate keeping our honor and not losing on purpose.

We are 5 years from that year and our improbable run to the Eastern Conference finals aside, we are set to be right back at 40-45 wins this year. Of our draft hauls, Bruno was a bust and is gone, Cam is gone, our young core is starting to grow into what it will be going forward.  The greatness that is Trae Young aside, the team is no better and an honest assessment would say worse than we were 5 years ago. If it wasn't for Trae, it would be hard to say we could beat the 60 win team of 2014-2015 (side note, how good would peak Demarre Carroll, Paul Millsap look on this squad next to Trae?).

In order to get to where we are, we in the end decided to bring in outside talent in Bogi, Capela, Gallo to get us to where we are.

An honest assessment of this Hawks roster should tell anyone that we are 2 players away from really competing for a title and will need to jettison a few players to get there.

Here's the question. Was it worth it or should we have gone the rebuild, not tank route?

20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

100% worth it.   I don't understand the argument.   You're saying tanking wasn't worth it if you forget that we have a HOF, perennial all star talent and a trip to the ECF out of it?   

That you don't understand it, bothers me. We are where we were 5 years ago and if we hadn't taken Trae (something most here didn't want to do), we would be in dire straits. We still need to do what we needed to do 5 years ago, rebuild through trades.

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

That you don't understand it, bothers me. We are where we were 5 years ago and if we hadn't taken Trae (something most here didn't want to do), we would be in dire straits. We still need to do what we needed to do 5 years ago, rebuild through trades.

And who were we going to trade five years ago to land a 24 year old perennial All Star?

We have a better team and many more trade pieces than five years ago.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, thecampster said:

Well we aren't where we were 5 years ago.   5 years ago we were a .500 team with no stars and most the main contributers on the wrong side of 30.   I don't understand why you ignore that.   And why do we need to pretend that we don't have Trae?  We do.   

The difference is we have a future.   We have youth and talent.   We have flexibility.   2016-17 we had almost nothing.  Look what those players have gone on to do in the league.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, dalamchops said:

the 60 team win would've barely broken 50 wins if it didn't have that insane undefeated run in january. that team wasn't anything special.

Well I'm going to disagree there.  I think that's just hindsight talking.   We were basically playing modern ball before anyone else in the east was doing it and we were killing people including the Cavs in the regular season if i remember right (maybe i don't).   But we were relying on Teague/Korver instead of Steph/Klay and when we got to the playoffs we couldn't overcome the talent deficit against the Cavs.   Still we did get to the ECF. 

• Premium Member
Just now, Atlantaholic said:

I mean that insane run was like half of the season lol. How do you just discount that.

Problem is they were injured coming into the playoffs and their offense was easier to stop when the game becomes more half court centric and the Hawks didn't have a single alpha that could be the focal point consistently on offense. 

18 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I think it's fair to have that criticism.  But I think these two statements:

- 'having to rebuild through trades but having no centerpiece' and

- 'having to rebuild through trades but having an actual centerpiece'

.. are only separated by a few words, but represent vastly different situations.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

The problem Campster is that tanking did put us in great position.   We were fortunate and picked Trae.  We also made possible mistakes with all the rest.   That's the nature of Drafting.   What will become of these first round picks... we dont know yet.   But we did get Trae. 

Tanking has been problematic for us in the pass because our best picks from tanking were Marvin Williams and Shelden Williams-Parker.  And before that it was Shareef instead of Gasol.   So we have a bad track-record with tanking but that was based on who was the GM..

I believe that this time we got it right.   It's now up to the GM to build a winner around Trae. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Well we aren't where we were 5 years ago.   5 years ago we were a .500 team with no stars and most the main contributers on the wrong side of 30.   I don't understand why you ignore that.   And why do we need to pretend that we don't have Trae?  We do.   

The difference is we have a future.   We have youth and talent.   We have flexibility.   2016-17 we had almost nothing.  Look what those players have gone on to do in the league.  

5 years ago was Dwight/Dennis.  7 years ago was the 60 win team.

I agree with most of these takes.  This is a down year, but we have a much better foundation moving forward.  Including the most important piece for any contender, we drafted a superstar.  Trae is doing things that only superstars have done, Joe Johnson's career high was like 44 points.  Trae puts up numbers like that every month.  

Additionally, all of our contracts are reasonable/tradeable.  We have draft capital and a few young prospects that are promising, Jalen has played 68 minutes total.  In short we have flexibility with the roster and a couple guys that could really blossom.  The pendulum is swinging upwards.  We are not even remotely in the same place.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Aren't we having better attendance now than basically at any point in our history post Nique?

You're going to bring a tear to Nique's eyes.... Playing in front of seats as an allstar.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Aren't we having better attendance now than basically at any point in our history post Nique?

It's hard to judge really since there has been so much shenanigans and corporate empty seats in the Hawks past attendance numbers.  But the eye test says yes.