• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rate Our Player's Value in Terms of Increase or Decrease

Final_quest

Posting about our team last offseason compared to now prompted a question.  Which of our players has gone down in value since the ECF? 

The depressing answer is almost ALL of them.  In fact the only possible answer for anyone who has increased in value is Trae.  For a moment Okongwu looked like a possibility here, or even Hunter.  They both played pretty well in a few games coming back from injury.  Now they are with the rest of the crew who has gone down in value. 

Players holding their value: Trae, Collins

Slight downgrade in value: Okongwu, Bogi 

Definitively less value:  Everyone else

Looking ahead I see a few players who have the potential to rise in value in a meaningful way:  Jalen, Cooper, Okongwu, and Hunter. 

I think Jalen and Okongwu have the most potential to rise in value.  Cooper has some upside for a 2nd round pick.  Hunter could still put some things together and become a steady scorer and defender, but I don't see him ever becoming a "baby Kawhi".  Collins could rise a little bit and Huerter could redeem himself, but I don't see either one making a significant leap at this point.

• Premium Member

I will use value but I don't like that term... 

Increase Value:  Trae.  OO.

Holding value:  Clint. Gallo.  Lou

Decrease Value: Hunter, Bogi, Kev, 

I guess that's all the guys from last year.   Lemme Explain...

I believe OO has increased in value.   We didn't ask much or expect much from OO last year.  Everybody wants to point to OO playing Embiid and Giannis.. but that was just unexpected gift.  He was able to move his feet and stay in front.   OO this year came in and blocked shots like a madman.  OO's problem is that he has no big man moves yet and that he's still easily manipulated as a defender.   OO has great anticipation and good foot work.  He's still very raw and he needs a summer of preparation.   However, as raw as he is, IMO he plays better than he did last year.

Clint... Holds his value.   He might not be the rebound king this year, but he does it all on defense for us once again.

Gallo...  He is still the best shooter we have. 

Lou... Lou has ups and downs but Lou this year has been a stabilizing force for our second unit. 

Hunter.. IMO has regressed.   His defense has not gotten better.  His offense has stepped back a little. 

Kev.  IMO has regressed.  His allergic to contact.   You can't be that and be effective. 

Bogi... Almost made it to holding but Last year Bogi was on a tear... He was our 2nd scorer (no doubt).. his three point shooting was somewhere closer to 42%.  I can't say that he's holding based on what he's doing now. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

Wait and see what we do in post season.  Pray Collins gets back

Even if Collins gets back, I don't think he would be in starter shape right away.  We should be putting as many minutes as possible on JJ's plate and hoping that he can pick up the defense over the next 8 games or so.  Then we can use JC on a reduced timetable when he comes back.   Gallo too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Kev - way down

Hunter - down

Everyone else i think is basically the same except for

Trae friggin Young.    I mean i guess he's holding in that his contract is maxed but here is what he did from last year to this year

- increased his 3p% from 34%>38% while shooting almost 8 a game

- increased his eFG% from 50%>53%

- FT% 88%>90%

- goes to the line over 7 times a game despite rule changes aimed directly at him

- Assists steal up slightly, turnovers down slightly

- PPG up 3 points to 28

- top 3 in the league in points and assists

Those are a lot of nice upticks.  Coming into the season I wanted him to increase 3 things from last season:

Steals: up .1 lol.  At least it’s up but 1.0 is still pretty poor.

Offensive fouls drawn: only 15 last season, on pace to nearly double at 26 now.  Huge improvement, every illegal screen or step-in from him is key for momentum.  Especially when he amazingly limits his own charges to once every 5 games.

Corner threes: slight improvement from .038 of his attempts at .400 to .046 at .500 (which has rapidly increased from earlier this season since he’s finally playing off some with Delon and Kevin). Love the efficiency, still don’t understand why the volume isn’t there.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Those are a lot of nice upticks.  Coming into the season I wanted him to increase 3 things from last season:

Steals: up .1 lol.  At least it’s up but 1.0 is still pretty poor.

Offensive fouls drawn: only 15 last season, on pace to nearly double at 26 now.  Huge improvement, every illegal screen or step-in from him is key for momentum.  Especially when he amazingly limits his own charges to once every 5 games.

Corner threes: slight improvement from .038 of his attempts at .400 to .046 at .500 (which has rapidly increased from earlier this season since he’s finally playing off some with Delon and Kevin). Love the efficiency, still don’t understand why the volume isn’t there.

I always felt like he didn't like or really practice the corner three that much before the NBA.  I don't think short guys want to be in the corner in general and he obviously likes to launch from the center of the court. I feel like that's where he spent his practice time.  

Given that we've seen a lot of the team struggle it's good to me to see him continue to improve.  I know you feel like a lot of the other guys struggles are related to Trae, but there's still no denying these are huge numbers he's putting up.  I think he maybe #1 in total points and assists right now.  or close. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Everyone else i think is basically the same except for

Trae friggin Young.   

The only reason I didn't put Trae Young as a value increase player is because of our team record.  That might be unfair, but a superstar player's value is associated with team results.  The idea that Trae isn't good enough to get his team 50 wins is gonna be out there.   

As far as others being basically the same, I see it differently.  Capela and Bogi were all star level last year.  Capela had so many 20/20 nights.  No one expected Bogi to play 50/50/90 forever, but he went down to 35% from three and has been hot and cold all year.   Those guys dropped off from last year for sure.  

Gallinari is similar value as a player but not as a contract.  He was a good trading chip as an expiring contract.  I don't think we will pick up his extension just to trade him.  

• Like 1

Increase Trae, Collins, OO, Gallo (a 6'10 inside/out weapon that not many teams possess)

Holding Clint (if he could just be more consistent inside), Kevin (has become a true weapon from the mid range and closer and when his 3 is on and he's playing D we usually W), Louis Will

Decrease Bogi (mainly until he starts moving the ball more and shooting in rhythm but he's Iso Bogi 😆 as a 6 man so it's hard to complain) Hunter (has been solid but compared to his trajectory from his rookie yr to now it's a step down. I'm sure he'll get it back during the playoffs though. Yes I did say playoffs)

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 7:05 AM, Final_quest said:

Posting about our team last offseason compared to now prompted a question.  Which of our players has gone down in value since the ECF? 

The depressing answer is almost ALL of them.  In fact the only possible answer for anyone who has increased in value is Trae.  For a moment Okongwu looked like a possibility here, or even Hunter.  They both played pretty well in a few games coming back from injury.  Now they are with the rest of the crew who has gone down in value. 

Players holding their value: Trae, Collins

Slight downgrade in value: Okongwu, Bogi 

Definitively less value:  Everyone else

Looking ahead I see a few players who have the potential to rise in value in a meaningful way:  Jalen, Cooper, Okongwu, and Hunter. 

I think Jalen and Okongwu have the most potential to rise in value.  Cooper has some upside for a 2nd round pick.  Hunter could still put some things together and become a steady scorer and defender, but I don't see him ever becoming a "baby Kawhi".  Collins could rise a little bit and Huerter could redeem himself, but I don't see either one making a significant leap at this point.

Increased value:  Trae, Okongwu

Holding value: Gallo, Delon, Bogi, Capela

Slight downgrade in value:  Huerter, Hunter, Collins, Lou

Definitely less value:  Jalen, Sharife, TLC, Dieng, Mays

Trae has been outstanding for most of the year. So has Okongwu, until these last few games.

I've always said that Gallo has value on this team, and it's proven every time he's out of the lineup.

Delon's value was in the tank before Christmas, now he's back to holding his value as a role player.

Bogi's ability to score the basketball keeps his value the same, although I wish he was more consistent.

Capela's value was slipping, but he's proven his worth lately.

Huerter and Hunter I almost put at definitely less value, but they're having OK years, not horrible ones. We just think they should be better and more consistent.

Collins, I'm afraid, is starting to level off as to how better he can become. If he doesn't develop some sort of off the dribble game during the offseason, we may not get much more than what we're getting right now. So he's a slight downgrade to me.

This will probably be Lou's final year, so it really doesn't matter with him.

The rest definitely have less value, whether it's because they're not good enough to be on the court, or coach thinks they're not good enough to be on the court.