• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How would you revamp/rebuild???

sillent

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think the game has changed and you missed it.   GS is the formulation that says that guards can lead to victory.  Hell, the Bulls didn't have a great scoring Bigs either. 

With that in mind, I think we can win it all with a player like Trae and with a player like Mitchell next to him.. but the pieces that we have has to have a clear fit and purpose. 

The other thing about Mitchell - Trae that I think that you underestimate is how the offense runs.   It won't be iso... unless we have the wrong coach.  Dribble hand offs, corner threes, PNR, Lobs.. will be our offensive motif. 

Currently, there's no big that we can get, Ayton included, that can get us passed the 2nd round of the playoffs without fixing our second scorer problem.  Just look at Phoenix struggle against the Mavs.   The Mavs are pushing the suns and the Suns have CP3, Book, and Ayton...  Why?  Because the offensive Big isn't that important.   What's more important is offensive efficiency and rebounds. 

All in all, a careful build is what we ought to be looking for with the acquisition of Mitchell. 

GS is an exception in my opinion and Steph Curry in not replicable.  He's the best shooter and off-ball player of all time.  Trae is neither of those.  Mitchell certainly is not.  The game has changed no doubt, but I still think the defense is too weak and that was already a major problem for us this year.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

GS is an exception in my opinion and Steph Curry in not replicable.  He's the best shooter and off-ball player of all time.  Trae is neither of those.  Mitchell certainly is not.  The game has changed no doubt, but I still think the defense is too weak and that was already a major problem for us this year.

It's not about replication... It's about finding the right skillsets.   Jordan is not replicatable either but the Warriors won with the same skillset that the Bulls used.  It's not about replacing the who.. it's about understanding the what.  And the what says that if you can get rebounds and defense from your 5,  if you can get scoring for your guard-forward sets, then you can win and not just win but be dominant.  The warriors would still be trying to figure out the Monte Ellis/Steph debate if somebody didn't have the foresight to have this understanding. 

It's why Wade, Lebron and Bosh could win and it's also why they lost to Dirk, Terry, and Kidd. 

• Premium Member
On 5/8/2022 at 9:06 PM, NBASupes said:

Atlanta brings back Cooper. Cooper is a FA, when fools say he's a trade piece, it shows foolishness. He's not even on the roster. 

Cooper is a RFA, with a QO of $1.5 mil.

• Premium Member

Bobby Portis to command $12-$13 million contract this summer?

i_8a_56_ee_bobby-portis.png?w=190
It means Bobby Portis and Connaughton will be able to shop their services on the open market, with the Bucks being able to match any offer extended to them. Whether the Bucks will match any offers thrown their way, though, is the big question. Portis was clearly underpaid this season and will receive a hefty raise. Connaughton is also in line for a pay bump. Portis’s salary this season is a paltry $4.37 million — a real bargain for the Bucks. The forward-center started 59 games (he played in 72) while averaging 14.6 points and 9.1 rebounds. “He’s going to get, I believe, a contract for about $12 million, maybe $13 million a year,’’ an NBA executive said of Portis. “Now, whether that’s for three years or four years, I don’t know.’’ Another NBA official concurred.

“There has been talk he’ll get that amount ($12-13M),’’ the official said. “I think when he (Portis) signed last summer and took a low salary, they had a verbal agreement in place that he (Portis) would get lot more money and more than two years on his next contract.’’ While those officials agreed on Portis’ projected annual salary, another NBA official contends that figure may be low. “We have him rated as a higher-priced player,’’ he said, referring to his team. “We have him as a $15 million (a year) player.’’

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Is there another Kris Dunn, Bruno and a 2nd for Delon Wright type trade for the Hawks for the bench?

Do we have any players under contract that we will easily trade?

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bobby Portis to command $12-$13 million contract this summer?

i_8a_56_ee_bobby-portis.png?w=190
It means Bobby Portis and Connaughton will be able to shop their services on the open market, with the Bucks being able to match any offer extended to them. Whether the Bucks will match any offers thrown their way, though, is the big question. Portis was clearly underpaid this season and will receive a hefty raise. Connaughton is also in line for a pay bump. Portis’s salary this season is a paltry $4.37 million — a real bargain for the Bucks. The forward-center started 59 games (he played in 72) while averaging 14.6 points and 9.1 rebounds. “He’s going to get, I believe, a contract for about $12 million, maybe $13 million a year,’’ an NBA executive said of Portis. “Now, whether that’s for three years or four years, I don’t know.’’ Another NBA official concurred.

“There has been talk he’ll get that amount ($12-13M),’’ the official said. “I think when he (Portis) signed last summer and took a low salary, they had a verbal agreement in place that he (Portis) would get lot more money and more than two years on his next contract.’’ While those officials agreed on Portis’ projected annual salary, another NBA official contends that figure may be low. “We have him rated as a higher-priced player,’’ he said, referring to his team. “We have him as a $15 million (a year) player.’’

You know I likem thick ones Burd! :laugh1:

On 5/6/2022 at 7:03 AM, StonedDogs said:

OP I just think that lineup is too slow for today's NBA. The league is fast and uptempo. The Hawks need to run and push the ball. Kyle Anderson is not it. Trae is already a ball dominant PG under Nate system. He doesn't move like other guards off ball to get open. He just stands there. John Collins can barely create his own shot. Against bigs, he's worthless unless Trae gets him an alley oop. 

Rudy Gobert is slow. Dre Hunter finally figured out how to score. Drive and get to the line. He's the only bright spot if he stays healthy. I just don't believe in a Trae led team with a assistant coach such a Nate who cannot develop young talent

My mantra all year has been increase the pace,get the fast break pts, need to bee more physical  and get some motion going so guys aren't sitting around watching Trae. For as good as Trae is we will never win watching Trae dominate the ball running pick and roll and playing no Defense. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 7:20 AM, Diesel said:

Pick #16 as I see it now:

1.  Mark Williams. 

2.   Jalen Duren.

3.   Walker Kessler

4.  Jeremy Sochan

Obviously, I want a 7 footer and a player who can block shots. 

I like these picks especially  Williams.  We need more size and physicality.  I hope Trae is watching  how all the playoff finalists  are all playing D. As I have said before, if GSW can ask Steph to give effort on D, I know we can expect  the same from Trae. Get in the weight room add some good muscle to your frame and start  giving some effort on D. This team has been rebuilt , although I think we got ahead of ourselves  I'm not ready  to blow everything up. The Cam problem set us back some but we can get back on track. It has become  obvious what we need to fix  the team  let's go get another playmaker/scorer, a big physical presence in the paint and some long wings who can play D.  No one said it would be easy. We will probably have to reset our timetable but that's Ok . One thing about these finals  is that you don't have to be a great team to win it all.. We're to close to panic  now and make a big mistake on a ballplayer that can't get us over the hump and messes up our cap for years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Assume we are replacing the following players from last season’s roster...Gallinari, Gorgui DiengKevin KnoxTimothé Luwawu-CabarrotSkylar Mays, and Lou Williams.

Who do you want from this Free Agent List:

Kyle Anderson, forward (unrestricted)

Anderson would fill two key areas of need for the Hawks: ballhandling and perimeter defense. He is such a capable ballhandler that he’d be able to act as a de facto point guard with Young off the floor. Creation at the forward spot is a glaring hole for the Hawks. Both John Collins and De’Andre Hunter are below-average with the ball in their hands. Jalen Johnson has shown the ability to handle the ball on the G League level, and the hope is he can become a playmaker in the frontcourt.

Mo Bamba, center (restricted)

It would be surprising if the Magic were to bring Bamba back, especially after they won the draft lottery. I’d imagine Orlando will look to add Jabari Smith or Chet Holmgren, both frontcourt players, with the No. 1 pick......A potential Bamba addition would really only make sense if the Hawks were to trade either Clint Capela or Onyeka Okongwu (or both) this offseason; otherwise, I can’t imagine he’d want to sign somewhere and be the third center. Bamba is coming off the most productive season of his career, shooting 38 percent from 3 on four attempts per game (for reference, he shot more 3s per game than Hunter), with 1.7 blocks per game. Importantly, Bamba figured out how to defend without getting himself in foul trouble; he finished with fewer than four fouls per 36 minutes for the first time in his career.

It also should be noted that Young and Kevin Huerter are good friends with Bamba.

Nicolas Batum, forward (player option)

I can’t imagine Batum will pick up his $3.3 million player option with the Clippers, because that would be quite the discount for one of the best role players in the league. He’s now shot over 40 percent from 3 in consecutive seasons and has been a good defender with the Clippers in both years. Now, it wouldn’t be a surprise if the Clippers re-signed Batum using their early Bird rights; the Clippers obviously value having as many two-way wings as possible on their roster. But if they decide to part ways, Batum makes a whole lot of sense for the Hawks.

Bruce Brown, guard/forward (unrestricted)

Much like the Hawks, the Nets were terrible defensively this season...... Brooklyn’s inability to defend was another reason it underperformed expectations. Brown was one of the few players on the Nets roster who was a trusted defender.

What I like about Brown is his ability to guard numerous positions at a high level, and he’s still young enough (he’ll be 26 next season) to grow with the rest of the core of this roster. 

Gary Harris, guard (unrestricted)

Orlando is in rebuild mode, but one of the goals should be finding useful players who could help when the organization is out of that stage. Harris is one of those players. He’s a 3-and-D guard who shot 38 percent from 3 this season, and he’s one of the better on-ball defenders.

Josh Okogie, guard (restricted)

Okogie fell out of Minnesota’s rotation this season and seems highly unlikely to return to the Timberwolves because of that. He could be a restricted free agent if the team were to extend his qualifying offer, but that would be a surprise considering how sparingly it played him.

Victor Oladipo, guard (unrestricted)

Oladipo’s playoff run with the Heat accelerated after he helped cook the Hawks in the first round when Jimmy Butler sat with a minor knee injury. From that point on, Oladipo was a fixture in Miami’s rotation and provided exceptional perimeter defense. It’s still unclear how much offensive juice he has after two quad surgeries, but he was once a gifted player on that end. I’d imagine a team could sign Oladipo cheaply on a prove-it deal.

Gary Payton II, guard (unrestricted)

Payton developed into an integral part of Golden State’s run to the NBA Finals as a tenacious on-ball defender. One of the biggest weaknesses for the Hawks this season was awful point-of-attack defense; Payton would improve that immediately. He wouldn’t offer much offensively for Atlanta, but that’s fine. The Hawks need more players who want to make life hell for opposing offenses.

It also would make for an excellent story if Nate McMillan got to coach Payton; Payton’s father was McMillan’s backcourt mate with the Seattle SuperSonics.

Otto Porter Jr., forward (unrestricted)

It’s stunning the Warriors were able to sign Porter for the veteran’s minimum this season. He’s turned into a key piece for Golden State’s rotation and one of the better role players across the league, and he’s doing it for the cheapest salary possible. .

Bobby Portis, forward (player option)

Portis seems to love Milwaukee, and Bucks fans seem to love Portis. He signed a (very) friendly team deal to stay with the Bucks after winning a title last season. Perhaps he’ll look to recoup some of that money this offseason and decline his $4.5 million player option after he showed value as a replacement for Brook Lopez, who missed most of the season to injury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Assume we are replacing the following players from last season’s roster...Gallinari, Gorgui DiengKevin KnoxTimothé Luwawu-CabarrotSkylar Mays, and Lou Williams.

Depending on the cost, I like

Slo Mo 

Bruce Brown

Payton II

Bobby Portis

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 5/8/2022 at 5:15 PM, Diesel said:

My offseason Moves Look like this:

1.  Draft Either Mark Williams or Jalen Duren. 

2.  Trade Bogi, Shariffe, and #1 pick 2023 Top 5 protected for Lonzo Ball. 

3.  Resign Delon @ 3 years 40 Million. 

4. Sign Skylar to a 2 year deal. 

The new team:

• Trae/Delon/Skylar 
  • Lonzo/Huerter
  • Hunter/C Brown
  • JC/JJ
  • Clint/OO/Mark Williams

I am one who believes that we can work with Clint/OO/ and a 7 footer as rotational based on situation.   I don't see the need to go blowing our whole cap on a big that is not going to make that much of a difference.    I think our defense is remedy with having Lonzo Ball.   He is the perfect match for Trae both offensively and defensively.  With that "HOLE" covered, I think we are far more defensive than we ever have been.  Think about it:  Lonzo, Hunter, JC, and Clint are all defensive players. 

I also believe that we need to bring Chaundee Brown up and see what we got in him.   I think we actually have a very good player in Brown, we just need to play him. 

Lastly, this is the year that Nate gets rid of the label that he doesn't play young players because if I'm Travis, I tell him I want to see Brown, JJ, Mark, and Skylar play more than just garbage minutes. 

This is still a great plan... if Ball's knee isn't messed up.

13 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I would welcome Anderson, Batum, Brown, Porter, and Payton with open arms.
Harris would get knuckle bump.
I probably wouldn’t even notice if Okogie walked in the room, and I’m closing the door and turning the lights out in case Bamba or Oladipo try coming over. 
Portis isn’t leaving his house, so no need to speculate there. 

• Haha 1