• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How would you revamp/rebuild???

sillent

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The MLE is around $10 million for teams over the cap but under the luxury tax.

The tax payer MLE is $6.3 million.

Yeah, I knew those numbers, but wasn't sure if the SnT an trades hard capped up.  It seemed to work in the trade machine.

Also happy mother's day!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

My offseason Moves Look like this:

1.  Draft Either Mark Williams or Jalen Duren. 

2.  Trade Bogi, Shariffe, and #1 pick 2023 Top 5 protected for Lonzo Ball. 

3.  Resign Delon @ 3 years 40 Million. 

4. Sign Skylar to a 2 year deal. 

The new team:

• Trae/Delon/Skylar 
  • Lonzo/Huerter
  • Hunter/C Brown
  • JC/JJ
  • Clint/OO/Mark Williams

I am one who believes that we can work with Clint/OO/ and a 7 footer as rotational based on situation.   I don't see the need to go blowing our whole cap on a big that is not going to make that much of a difference.    I think our defense is remedy with having Lonzo Ball.   He is the perfect match for Trae both offensively and defensively.  With that "HOLE" covered, I think we are far more defensive than we ever have been.  Think about it:  Lonzo, Hunter, JC, and Clint are all defensive players. 

I also believe that we need to bring Chaundee Brown up and see what we got in him.   I think we actually have a very good player in Brown, we just need to play him. 

Lastly, this is the year that Nate gets rid of the label that he doesn't play young players because if I'm Travis, I tell him I want to see Brown, JJ, Mark, and Skylar play more than just garbage minutes. 

Not a fan of Lonzo to Atlanta. I like him incicating offense, not playing off the ball where he struggles. 

Delon isn't getting more than 6 million at this stage of his career with his lack of offense from any team. 

I don't see how you improved the team. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Not a fan of Lonzo to Atlanta. I like him incicating offense, not playing off the ball where he struggles. 

Delon isn't getting more than 6 million at this stage of his career with his lack of offense from any team. 

I don't see how you improved the team. 

If you don't like Lonzo.. then you miss the improvement. 

Moreover, we don't have as far to go as some of yall think.   Our 2nd half run last year is more indicative of what we are than what we saw in this injury plagued year. 

However, I think Lonzo helps that hole on defense.   He is big enough to cover most big gaurds and his defense is good enough that he will make a difference doing it. 

Secondly, with the maturity of OO and the addition of a 7 footer, I believe we will be better up front. 

Right now, I think we have a lot of overreacting in terms of where we are.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Diesel said:

2.  Trade Bogi, Shariffe, and #1 pick 2023 Top 5 protected for Lonzo Ball. 

I love Lonzo's fit with our team -- would be happy if we could land him this offseason.  Would Chicago's incentive be to pay Lavine and shed salary here?  They might not want Bogi in that situation, but either way, like Lonzos game

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I love Lonzo's fit with our team -- would be happy if we could land him this offseason.  Would Chicago's incentive be to pay Lavine and shed salary here?  They might not want Bogi in that situation, but either way, like Lonzos game

Yeah.. I tried to reason that too.. It was a toss up to see them Bogi or Gallo.   Maybe Gallo would be better with the salary dump.  However, it just depends on Lavine and if they can get him.  They will be spending a lot to get him.   If they can't get him, then Bogi makes up for what they have lost. 

Either way.. Lonzo ball at 6'6" would be a perfect pairing for Trae. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

If you don't like Lonzo.. then you miss the improvement. 

Moreover, we don't have as far to go as some of yall think.   Our 2nd half run last year is more indicative of what we are than what we saw in this injury plagued year. 

However, I think Lonzo helps that hole on defense.   He is big enough to cover most big gaurds and his defense is good enough that he will make a difference doing it. 

Secondly, with the maturity of OO and the addition of a 7 footer, I believe we will be better up front. 

Right now, I think we have a lot of overreacting in terms of where we are.

I like Lonzo,  I don't like his fit in Atlanta with Trae. 

I thought we were mid all year and we looked mid in the playoffs. The low floor, high ceiling team mired by inconsistencies throughout the year was consistently what I saw.

I do like his defense a ton. He's like a bigger Delon on that end  

I still think OO has to develop range on his jumper and move full time to the 4 like JC did in year 3. I don't want to see him at center fulltime again. I have zero faith in any rookie center being a positive contributor in year 1 from this draft class. Even the ones who can do things statistically like Chet will struggle with impact. 

I think the organization and most of the fanbase are in the right mind in terms of overreacting because honestly, major moves are needed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Okungwu will be better than Ayton.

Defensively yes offensively OO would have to work a ton cuz Ayton smoother but it’s possible ya I’m not ceiling my own guy OO, sky is the limit.

That’s why.. well this is tough to say, I’d rather get rid of your boy (JC) :laugh1: I mean if it came down to having to choose.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Defensively yes offensively OO would have to work a ton cuz Ayton smoother but it’s possible ya I’m not ceiling my own guy OO, sky is the limit.

That’s why.. well this is tough to say, I’d rather get rid of your boy (JC) :laugh1: I mean if it came down to having to choose.

I'm not seeing Ayton as this offensive force like you all do.  I'm not seeing Jokic or Embiid in this guy's game.  Heck I'm not seeing any Kat or Bam in his game.  Maybe he is as good as Vucevic?  Okungwu is only 21 and in 3 years, he will be better offensively than Ayton is now.  As far as John is concern, maybe at some point the Hawks move on from him but not this offseason.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Now I know you don’t read my stuff! :cray: I made a happy Mother’s Day thread :laugh1:

Happy Mother’s Day Marcolicious!

I did and liked your post.  Just wanted to say it personally since Jay and I were quoting each other!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm not seeing Ayton as this offensive force like you all do.  I'm not seeing Jokic or Embiid in this guy's game.  Heck I'm not seeing any Kat or Bam in his game.  Maybe he is as good as Vucevic?  Okungwu is only 21 and in 3 years, he will be better offensively than Ayton is now.  As far as John is concern, maybe at some point the Hawks move on from him but not this offseason.

I see the same. A PnR version of Vecevic with less shooting and more defense in terms of being switchable and more athletic.

That said, Okongwu doesn't paint protect will enough to be a 5 with Trae. I need someone better. Ayton is good enough at it but he's not in the same class as Capela and he's not in the same zip code with Gobert at it. 

I don't see the offensive scoring upside in Okongwu like that. If he gets to 15ppg in Atlanta at any point of his career, I would be extremely happy. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I see the same. A PnR version of Vecevic with less shooting and more defense in terms of being switchable and more athletic.

That said, Okongwu doesn't paint protect will enough to be a 5 with Trae. I need someone better. Ayton is good enough at it but he's not in the same class as Capela and he's not in the same zip code with Gobert at it. 

I don't see the offensive scoring upside in Okongwu like that. If he gets to 15ppg in Atlanta at any point of his career, I would be extremely happy. 

Okongwu's eventual position won't be center but rather power forward.  Having said that, he still is a better defensive center than Ayton.  I agree with Diesel...Keep Capela and draft a developmental center in this year's draft and slowly expand Okongwu's game.  I'll keep Capela at $18 mil per year over Ayton at $35 mil per year easily

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I gave it a lot of thought

This is probably the best I can do at a realistic level based on what's available.

I only needed one trade which is a four team trade that needs to take place on this current financial calendar due to Gallo team option. Westbrook opting in is critical for this four team trade to work.

Atlanta gets: Rudy Gobert, Gordon Hayward, James Bouknight, and the 13th overall pick. 

Utah gets: John Collins, Kevin Huerter, 16th overall pick, CHA 2023 1st

Charlotte gets: Clint Capela, Russell Westbrook, 2027 top 10 protected 1st from the Lakers

LAL gets: Gallo team option for 5 mil, Mason Plumlee, and Kelly Oubre Jr. 

Utah gets a top 100 player in Huerter and a top 10 PF in JC who's closer to top 5 than top 15. A much better locker room fits as well. 

Charlotte gets a top 10 center who basically plays the ideal style that Charlotte plays, raises their floor to Chicago's level and gets out of Hayward contract which Atlanta took to secure Bouknight. Capela for 13 basically and Bouknight to take on Hayward contract. MJ wants Westbrook for locker room and leadership reasons as well as mentality reasons and this updated deal appeals to the Lakers massively. 

Lakers: lol, getting out of the Westbrook experience is ideal for LA. Plumlee and Oubre Jr. Have one year deals so they aren't that big of a deal and they add decent depth. 

Hawks: get a star who can be a MVP candidate with Trae Young. Hayward if healthy could be 6th man of the year and Gallo replacement at forward. JJ can backup at the 4 since Hayward can play both 3 and 4. Bouknight is Atlanta SG for the future. 

Draft: 

Atlanta picks Ochai Agbaji. Gives Atlanta that player they missed out on Grimes last year who's more athletic and defensively capable. Gives a good 3rd stringer to Bogi and Bouknight.

Utah trades 16th and Bogey for Miles Turner. 

48 is a stash or 2 way pick.  

Free Agency 

Atlanta signs Javale McGee to a 3 year 18 mil deal. 

Atlanta resigns Delon 3/15 and Dieng, vet min. 

Atlanta brings back Cooper. Cooper is a FA, when fools say he's a trade piece, it shows foolishness. He's not even on the roster. 

I would look to add a vet PF to compete with Okongwu and JJ for mins. I know Hayward will be getting a lot of mins so it can't be someone expensive. Three players I like are Kevon Looney, Chris Boucher, and Markieff Morris.

Morris adds an edge and toughness we haven't had since Ivan Johnson. Boucher is versatile and wiry and can give you a good 12 to 15 mpg. Looney has the intangibles that I love. All three are options but i think Morris is the most realistic cost wise. 

Lineup

Trae/Delon/Cooper 

Bogi/Bouknight/Agbaji

Hunter/Hayward/Brown

Okongwu/JJ. - See above 

Gobert/McGee/Dieng

I can really see this team being a 55-60 win team yearly as well as a contender. Can they win a lot of titles, probably not but I think they could win one which is what you aim for realistically. 

I am pretty sure, guys will post better moves but I don't believe they would be realistic. You gotta make moves based on what's available, not moved based on what you ideally want. 

Gobert is the most ideal fit for Trae in the NBA so that's a super no brainer to me. The other moves are risky. 

Capela turns Charlotte into a legit playoff team but are we gonna get better than a lottery pick for Clint, probably not. Obviously, to take Hayward contract is worth another lottery pick and Bouknight fits our style and he was coveted by Travis during the process last year. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trae/Delon/Cooper 

Bogi/Bouknight/Agbaji

Hunter/Hayward/Brown

Okongwu/JJ. - See above 

Gobert/McGee/Dieng

Kinda banking on OO coming back with a reliable jumper.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aali34 said:

Kinda banking on OO coming back with a reliable jumper.

Yep, at least a reliable middy. He gotta add range. If he doesn't or even if he does, we may have to add a vet like Looney, Morris, or Boucher to the squad to play PF.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I like Lonzo,  I don't like his fit in Atlanta with Trae. 

I thought we were mid all year and we looked mid in the playoffs. The low floor, high ceiling team mired by inconsistencies throughout the year was consistently what I saw.

I do like his defense a ton. He's like a bigger Delon on that end  

I still think OO has to develop range on his jumper and move full time to the 4 like JC did in year 3. I don't want to see him at center fulltime again. I have zero faith in any rookie center being a positive contributor in year 1 from this draft class. Even the ones who can do things statistically like Chet will struggle with impact. 

I think the organization and most of the fanbase are in the right mind in terms of overreacting because honestly, major moves are needed. 

Well, if you take into considerations injuries all year and injured in the playoffs..  yeah... that would make us look mid.  But let's not overreact to the playoffs.  Right now, Miami is getting COOKED by Philly with Embiid.  As I said before if Embiid plays game 3, Philly in 6.   There is no culture.  There is no great defensive game plan.  Miami lived off of beating up on injured teams.   It's easy to triple team when you don't have to worry about most of the offense because the personnel is not there. 

So we go running thinking, we're not good enough defensively.. we're not big enough.  When the truth is that we were not healthy enough. 

Still, I don't see much changing with Bogi.. so my thought is let's get a better SG who plays defense.   That is an immediate upgrade. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Well, if you take into considerations injuries all year and injured in the playoffs..  yeah... that would make us look mid.  But let's not overreact to the playoffs.  Right now, Miami is getting COOKED by Philly with Embiid.  As I said before if Embiid plays game 3, Philly in 6.   There is no culture.  There is no great defensive game plan.  Miami lived off of beating up on injured teams.   It's easy to triple team when you don't have to worry about most of the offense because the personnel is not there. 

So we go running thinking, we're not good enough defensively.. we're not big enough.  When the truth is that we were not healthy enough. 

Still, I don't see much changing with Bogi.. so my thought is let's get a better SG who plays defense.   That is an immediate upgrade. 

Miami was gonna be a tough matchup for us no matter what because we just don't have an inside threat to make Miami stop selling out on the perimeter players mainly due to the injury of JC and Clint. 

We looked mid when healthy, we looked mid when playing through injuries. The only time we looked awful was during COVID for us. We had gleaguers playing. 

We went to the ECF last year so I don't think we are very far off but I also think we aren't that close either. Teams got better last year, we didn't. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Miami was gonna be a tough matchup for us no matter what because we just don't have an inside threat to make Miami stop selling out on the perimeter players mainly due to the injury of JC and Clint. 

We looked mid when healthy, we looked mid when playing through injuries. The only time we looked awful was during COVID for us. We had gleaguers playing. 

We went to the ECF last year so I don't think we are very far off but I also think we aren't that close either. Teams got better last year, we didn't. 

When you reintroduce the lob, PNR, and Backdoor screens, then Miami can't sell out.   When Miami knew that we didn't have the personnel to do those things, they were able to totally sell out because we didn't have a way to punish them for doing it.   Without the Clint and JC offense, we become a team of Jumpshooters.  Hunter was finally able to figure out that he can get points by going inside. 

I think our main issue is SG defense and we could be better offensively in the frontcourt.   I expect some of our young guys to get better (namely Hunter and OO) but  we don't have to panic. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

When you reintroduce the lob, PNR, and Backdoor screens, then Miami can't sell out.   When Miami knew that we didn't have the personnel to do those things, they were able to totally sell out because we didn't have a way to punish them for doing it.   Without the Clint and JC offense, we become a team of Jumpshooters.  Hunter was finally able to figure out that he can get points by going inside. 

I think our main issue is SG defense and we could be better offensively in the frontcourt.   I expect some of our young guys to get better (namely Hunter and OO) but  we don't have to panic. 

I do agree with you that our SG defense is an issue but we need that player to also be a secondary ball handler and a scorer. Maybe it's the one position, we might not be able to squeeze a lot of defense from just because the offensive needs are high.

Edited by NBASupes