• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Abu Dhabi bound Hawks (preseason games)

Spud2nique

• Premium Member
On 10/6/2022 at 8:22 PM, sturt said:

Ouch. As if 1 minute for AJ isn't enough.... *heavy sigh*... who got the most minutes???...

Weakest link of the anticipated rotation.

Nate, Nate, Nate.... *heavy sigh*.... please tell me that Schleilds wanted you to showcase him for a pending trade partner... please.

2022-10-06_20-15-00.png

Good to see our head coach appears to be following me on HawkSquawk even while he's several time zones away... 🙂 ... zero minutes for JDay today, while AJ got some considerable time.

That said, I again really don't mind too much if JDay remains on the roster, as long as AJ and Tyrese are getting every opportunity to lay claim to rotation minutes... annnd... as long as Schlields picks up another player who can take some minutes at the 4, namely Bassey from PHI or KJ from HOU.

And related... yeah, I've come full circle... Krejci is intriguing enough to give a longer look. I won't cry if we trade him with JDay for other assets. But the word is "intriguing."

Finally, how interesting is it to see Tyrese Martin getting minutes as a big point guard? Some of us expected Culver would get a chance to run point, and of course, boy did that look uncomfortable today. While I'm not surprised Martin also got some point minutes, I also can't say I was expecting it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

his defense is legitly bad

I'm inclined to think that. But I'm hard pressed to not extend some grace to any rookie getting his first substantial action. And I have to say, I thought I'd have to extend more grace than I did. I thought his D was closer to meh than bad.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, marco102 said:

People don't realize how young he is in his development. He basically missed two years of high school and played one season at Duke. 

He is going to be an elite offensive player and I'm not saying that lightly. 

The defense will come around with experience.  How good he can be on that in is TBD, but he will at a minimum be average once he gets the nuances of that side of the ball down. 

him just being around murray he'll learn defense, he's got dumb long arms.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, marco102 said:

People don't realize how young he is in his development. He basically missed two years of high school and played one season at Duke. 

He is going to be an elite offensive player and I'm not saying that lightly. 

The defense will come around with experience.  How good he can be on that in is TBD, but he will at a minimum be average once he gets the nuances of that side of the ball down. 

So in other words, no need to rush him to play . . . unless he proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can plan and crack the rotation.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, sturt said:

Finally, how interesting is it to see Tyrese Martin getting minutes as a big point guard? Some of us expected Culver would get a chance to run point, and of course, boy did that look uncomfortable today. While I'm not surprised Martin also got some point minutes, I also can't say I was expecting it.

Tyrese Martin was playing the PG role during Summer League so should not be surprised.

He was actually asked about the transition to offball during training camp and he indicated Nate wanted him in the CnS role vs what he did in SL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, sturt said:

And related... yeah, I've come full circle... Krejci is intriguing enough to give a longer look. I won't cry if we trade him with JDay for other assets. But the word is "intriguing."

Fits into my archetype theory.  I think Schlenk has been searching for an Iguodala type as the team has tried any combination of Kev/Bogi/Cam as ball handlers off the bench and we can even go back to the Evan Turner debacle.

Martin ran a lot of lead guard in SL which was the surprise for me then.  Believe he was asked in one of the interviews if he was continuing in that role during training camp but he dismissed it saying that the focus is more on spotting up.  I guess the whole brass are still interested in at least continuing to give it a look. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Tyrese Martin was playing the PG role during Summer League so should not be surprised.

He was actually asked about the transition to offball during training camp and he indicated Nate wanted him in the CnS role vs what he did in SL.

That’s it, we have to duel at sundown now.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So in other words, no need to rush him to play . . . unless he proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can plan and crack the rotation.

No need, to rush, but I'd like to see him get minutes in the big league to help his development.  He needs to see that NBA speed and get used to it.  On the offensive side, I don't see him struggling that much. It's on the defensive end that there is a steep learning curve.

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1st sentence: I recall that now that you mention it (... dang... you must have that Marilu Henner thing goin for ya... ) and maybe you're right that I shouldn't be surprised. But I am. I'm not one to think you necessarily should expect what might be experimental in SL to translate to something you continue to try in preseason.

2nd sentence: Exactly. Thank you for making my point for me. 😉

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

A.J. offense is legit, his defense is legitly bad. That said, I was extremely happy with his performance today 

Cant be any worse than Lou and Gallo.. Put him in Coach.. lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1