Trade Deadline 2023: February 9th.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I was hoping the Hawks would do a JHol and 2nd to SAS to get further under the tax.

I heard/hear that, but was quite certain that if the roster slot was up for auction, SAS could get something more considerable than JDay.

• Premium Member

They are two games behind the sixth-seeded Heat to avoid the play-in round. They are 2 1/2 games ahead of the 11th-seeded Pacers to miss getting in altogether. This is a more important season than most to get into the draft lottery because they actually own their first-round pick and that’s not the case in 2025 or 2027 (both unprotected). So it’s not the time to go all in at the trade deadline.

Consider the situation on several fronts:

• Ownership/front office: It’s always possible that owner Tony Ressler will take a step back and allow his new front office to sort things out. It’s just as possible that he’ll want to hire a new top executive after the season to help guide the 34-year-old Fields. If there is any chance of change in the front office, it seems logical that should take place first before any significant roster decisions are made.
  • Coach Nate McMillan: He will have one year plus an option left on his $6 million per year contract after this season and there’s a possibility he will not be back for a variety of reasons...If Ressler fires McMillan, shouldn’t the new coach have input on what current players he’s comfortable with and which ones don’t fit his philosophy?
  • Salary cap: The team has salary commitments to at least 10 players for $142.6 million. If Bogdan Bogdanovic exercises his $18 million option, the payroll jumps to $160.6 million (sixth highest in the league) for only 11 players. That’s well above the projected salary cap of $134 million and right at the luxury cap level of $162 million.
  • Trae Young: Young failed to make it into the All-Star Game for the third time in five seasons. He finished 12th overall in player voting among Eastern Conference guards. He wasn’t added to the conference team by coaches. If this indicates how he’s perceived by players and coaches, how will that impact roster-building efforts moving forward?
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They are two games behind the sixth-seeded Heat to avoid the play-in round. They are 2 1/2 games ahead of the 11th-seeded Pacers to miss getting in altogether. This is a more important season than most to get into the draft lottery because they actually own their first-round pick and that’s not the case in 2025 or 2027 (both unprotected). So it’s not the time to go all in at the trade deadline.

Consider the situation on several fronts:

• Ownership/front office: It’s always possible that owner Tony Ressler will take a step back and allow his new front office to sort things out. It’s just as possible that he’ll want to hire a new top executive after the season to help guide the 34-year-old Fields. If there is any chance of change in the front office, it seems logical that should take place first before any significant roster decisions are made.
  • Coach Nate McMillan: He will have one year plus an option left on his $6 million per year contract after this season and there’s a possibility he will not be back for a variety of reasons...If Ressler fires McMillan, shouldn’t the new coach have input on what current players he’s comfortable with and which ones don’t fit his philosophy?
  • Salary cap: The team has salary commitments to at least 10 players for $142.6 million. If Bogdan Bogdanovic exercises his $18 million option, the payroll jumps to $160.6 million (sixth highest in the league) for only 11 players. That’s well above the projected salary cap of $134 million and right at the luxury cap level of $162 million.
  • Trae Young: Young failed to make it into the All-Star Game for the third time in five seasons. He finished 12th overall in player voting among Eastern Conference guards. He wasn’t added to the conference team by coaches. If this indicates how he’s perceived by players and coaches, how will that impact roster-building efforts moving forward?

When has Schultz ever added anything valuable or broke news? I hate seeing his fodder.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

When has Schultz ever added anything valuable or broke news? I hate seeing his fodder.

The worst part is he is about the only Atlanta writer left for the Athletic.  If I was not still getting it for $1/mo I would cancelling.  The content has been poor since they were bought out.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

they just got Dedmon??

Not sure what you're asking (?). Yes, they just got Dedmon.

And... Dedmon @ $9m/2 yrs > JDay $6m/1yr ... they're both 33, but Dedmon is cheaper, and actually contributes something when he's on the floor still.

Dang. My inclinations right twice within the same month? Getting scary. 😄

2023-02-07_13-41-23.png

• Premium Member
Just now, sturt said:

And... Dedmon @ $9m/2 yrs > JDay $6m/1yr ... they're both 33, but Dedmon is cheaper, and actually contributes something when he's on the floor still.

2023-02-07_13-41-23.png

They are most likely releasing Dedmon.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, sturt said:

2023-02-07_13-41-23.png

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

yep..so they are not looking for 'someone more considerable'.....just using their capspace for picks.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Okay.

Let's say that happens.... soooooooooo... we're still at the same bottom line. SAS considered that trade the smarter option than whatever, if anything, ATL was offering.

I believe the words you were looking for, fair maiden, were/are "Your inclinations (ie, that JDay is likely untradeable as a standalone or just him w/ draft picks) seem to be correct, sturt."

😄

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, sturt said:

Okay.

Let's say that happens.... soooooooooo... we're still at the same bottom line. SAS considered that trade the smarter option than whatever, if anything, ATL was offering.

I believe the words you were looking for, fair maiden, were/are "Your inclinations (ie, that JDay is likely untradeable as a standalone or just him w/ draft picks) seem to be correct, sturt."

😄

Of course, and then again...

What if JDay wasn't traded to SAS becauuuuuuuuuse... he's not available to trade in a standalone trade anyhow...

2023-02-07_18-05-31.png

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Of course, and then again...

What if JDay wasn't traded to SAS becauuuuuuuuuse... he's not available to trade in a standalone trade anyhow...

2023-02-07_18-05-31.png

1. Hawks should not be trading a 1st rounder for Jae Crowder, yes even lottery protected.

2. Hawks should not be going into the Luxury Tax for Jae Crowder ($10.1 mil), JHol ($6.2 mil)

.....and I don't understand the 'he's not available to trade in a standalone trade anyhow' 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. Hawks should not be trading a 1st rounder for Jae Crowder, yes even lottery protected.

2. Hawks should not be going into the Luxury Tax for Jae Crowder ($10.1 mil), JHol ($6.2 mil)

You seem offended. 🙂

It's less about the specifics of a trade proposal... just dragging out an old idea...

More that I'm trying to illustrate an example of what might be precluding a standalone trade, ie, that there's already some way that the FO wants to use the JDay asset instead.

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, sturt said:

More that I'm trying to illustrate an example of what might be precluding a standalone trade, ie, that there's already some way that the FO wants to use the JDay asset instead.

If Hawks are trading a 1st with JHol it's not for a guy on an expiring deal that's taking them over the tax.

Try again.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sturt said:

You seem offended. 🙂

It's less about the specifics of a trade proposal... just dragging out an old idea...

John Collins, AJ Griffin, Jalen Johnson, Clint Capela, Kevin Huerter, DJM were all non-lottery picks in recent history.  No thanks in giving that up for Crowder.  That pick will be key depth (with potential) for us over the next 4-5 years.  Crowder is a half season rental who wants more money and will put us in luxury tax, and doesn't move the needle to us becoming a contender.  

It's just a bad trade all around.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, sturt said:

Evidently failed to communicate very well the first time... hope the emphasis on the key word helps.

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

John Collins, AJ Griffin, Jalen Johnson, Clint Capela, Kevin Huerter, DJM were all non-lottery picks in recent history.  No thanks in giving that up for Crowder.  That pick will be key depth (with potential) for us over the next 4-5 years.  Crowder is a half season rental who wants more money and will put us in luxury tax, and doesn't move the needle to us becoming a contender.  

It's just a bad trade all around.  

(see above)

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, sturt said:

what might be precluding a standalone trade, ie, that there's already some way that the FO wants to use the JDay asset instead.

Damn. C'mon... hehe... you're not dense. Regardless of the example, my friend, THIS is the actual point, and where this vein of conversation began.