• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

FAVORS YESSSS

Spud2nique

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He hasn't looked good in awhile when he was in the league. I hope he does well for us because we need bigs

Yep, I watched him a lot when Lonzo first got to New Orleans and he was pretty terrible.  And that was a few years ago.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

His defense regressed something serious is more notable.

While it's true he regressed to his OKC team's DRTG average (112)... so neither an asset nor a deficit overall... I believe there's a God-honest something to be said for the fact he was played so sporadically in OKC, and then they shut him down in favor of younger player development for most of the 2nd half of last season. Since 1/10/2022, I see he only got 10 more games... so, only 10 games since this time last year.

It is also true that he was a beast in UTH the previous season... second only to Gobert... he posted a 103 on a team whose DRTG average was 108... so clearly he was among the players pulling up their number.

Only 31. Should be about as well rested as you could hope, though yeah, you also worry about being in game shape. I'm sure that will be a question that gets asked early.

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He hasn't looked good in awhile when he was in the league.

Define "looked good."

Favors is a garbage man.

A productive garbage man.

Garbage men rarely "look good." But you look at their contributions at the end of the game, and you see that while they didn't do anything especially pretty in the way of highlight dunks or blocks or jump shots, they show up on the stat sheet... rebounds, put-backs, and efficiency from 10 feet... and held their ground against the opposing big.

That's all I need from him, me.

• Like 2

He’s only 31, seems like 41.

Having not seen much of him at all through his career relative to others I just tried to guess his career ratings at 113 to 110.  He’s actually 113 and 104 which tells me he’s been a seriously underrated defender his whole career with great positional play that allows others to get defensive stats.  I think he’ll pay some dividends for sure with some staying power, if he’s in shape of course.  His screens might be more solid than Clint’s.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, sturt said:

Define "looked good."

Favors is a garbage man.

Garbage men rarely "look good." But you look at their contributions at the end of the game, and you see that while they didn't do anything especially pretty in the way of highlight dunks or blocks or jump shots, they show up on the stat sheet... rebounds, put-backs, and efficiency from 10 feet... and held their ground against the opposing big.

You got me Mr. S.  When i said he didn’t look good I was definitely referring to his lack of windmill two handed jams and his patented MJ like cradle the baby dunks.  He had literally zero of those when i watched him play.  Not even a foot’s a smidge over the free throw line running dunks.  don’t even get me started on his total lack of turn around fade away jumper game.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

He’s only 31, seems like 41.

Having not seen much of him at all through his career relative to others I just tried to guess his career ratings at 113 to 110.  He’s actually 113 and 104 which tells me he’s been a seriously underrated defender his whole career with great positional play that allows others to get defensive stats.  I think he’ll pay some dividends for sure with some staying power, if he’s in shape of course.  His screens might be more solid than Clint’s.

Moves like 51…

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, shakes said:

You got me Mr. S.  When i said he didn’t look good I was definitely referring to his lack of windmill two handed jams and his patented MJ like cradle the baby dunks.  He had literally zero of those when i watched him play.  Not even a foot’s a smidge over the free throw line running dunks.  don’t even get me started on his total lack of turn around fade away jumper game.

Sarcasm noted.

Point remains.

Garbage men are garbage men... they rarely "look good."

What do you want from him?

Wait. Never mind. I really have already lost interest in this conversation. That's what happens when one engages someone whose schtick is pretty much the same no matter what thread you find them posting under. The lyrics "Gloom, despair and agony on me, deep dark depression, excessive misery" start up in the muzak of my brain. Glass 9/10 empty would be progress. I mean, feel free to say whatever you want to say, of course... but I'm checking out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sturt said:

While it's true he regressed to his OKC team's DRTG average (112)... so neither an asset nor a deficit overall... I believe there's a God-honest something to be said for the fact he was played so sporadically in OKC, and then they shut him down in favor of younger player development for most of the 2nd half of last season. Since 1/10/2022, I see he only got 10 more games... so, only 10 games since this time last year.

It is also true that he was a beast in UTH the previous season... second only to Gobert... he posted a 103 on a team whose DRTG average was 108... so clearly he was among the players pulling up their number.

Only 31. Should be about as well rested as you could hope, though yeah, you also worry about being in game shape. I'm sure that will be a question that gets asked early.

I watched him play. He just hasn't looked good. I don't need numbers when I seen him play. This is a player that was one of my personal favorite role players in his prime but he looked washed like Millsap in the last couple of seasons when he played. Hopefully the time away will bring back his legs which is what I saw was his biggest issue as he's aged. He just doesn't move like he used to. Let's see if that's still an issue

Edited by NBASupes

5 hours ago, sturt said:

Define "looked good."

Favors is a garbage man.

I find this to be a disrespectful post. 

Saying he's a garbage man means nothing as I've been a fan of his and guys like him forever. When guys who have watched him in the last couple of playing seasons say, when I watched him, he looked washed doesn't mean it's because of his role, it's because he lost mobility and explosiveness and can barely move like he used to which is what made him such a high end role playing big. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sothron said:

I still have my own (unverified let me stress that) fears that Capela is out so they can trade him. One of Bogi, Capela and JC will have to be off the roster by next season because Ressler will not pay the LT next season either. Unless, ofc, we somehow bring in a second superstar player (think Embiid or KAT) and he would justify paying it then. 

I find that unlikely.

I am holding out on judgement of Ressler.  I know it sounds really cool to call him a cheap, good for nothing, etc.  What happens when you sign a bunch of overpaid mediocre guys like Okongwu, Hunter, and JC to long term expensive deals with DJM and Trae at max money?  You have a quagmire where there is no path to improve the roster, and years of waiting for contracts to expire before you really get a shot at reconstructing the roster.  

Insulting him gets all the high fives, but I think he showed wisdom in accelerating our path to a playoff team and perhaps wisdom in knowing when to spend/expand to championship level.  With popular takes on this forum such as: "Cam and Dre = Wing Stop" and "ECF core = Contenders!", I stopped going with the crowd and using common sense.  If you guys were in charge you would be blasting the FO in 2-3 years for getting us into luxury tax hell with poor fit and mediocre players.    

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I find this to be a disrespectful post. 

Saying he's a garbage man means nothing as I've been a fan of his and guys like him forever. When guys who have watched him in the last couple of playing seasons say, when I watched him, he looked washed doesn't mean it's because of his role, it's because he lost mobility and explosiveness and can barely move like he used to which is what made him such a high end role playing big. 

We disagree. I'm not going to sit here and say I know better, though, because not playing any serious minutes for 18 months, and practically none whatsoever the last 12... it should surprise no one if he's out of shape.

Moses Malone was a garbage man, in my calculus, fwiw.... no disrespect there. (Speaking of whom, there's someone you hardly ever hear given any mention anymore, but truly one of the dominant players of that era.)