• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
On 3/21/2023 at 11:42 AM, ShooterSays said:

Seeing a lot of noise on the socials today about Jaylen Brown...

In a perfect world, he's probably the best fit next to Trae. He's also from Atlanta.

Jaylen Brown is a whiney little biatch.  PASS.

Jaylen Brown?!  Trae leads the league in total turnovers by a wide margin.  Brown has more loose ball turnovers than him and he ain’t even a Point lol.  He’d be a low level three point and FT shooter relative to this current roster.  More than solid man defender, meh team-wise.  But if that’s y’all’s big get have at it.

Edited by benhillboy

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

But it's not gonna be cheap and Boston will want Trae whereas Atlanta wants to keep Trae at all cost.

This is going to be a problem for Boston if it's common knowledge JB wants out. There goes all their leverage to get a star player like Trae in return. Either take the best offer you can get, or he walks for nothing in free agency.

I haven't looked at the cap numbers, maybe someone who's smarter than me has, but I wonder if we could just sign him outright summer 2024 if we can move some of our larger contracts (Hunter, JC, Capella).

16 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Jaylen Brown?!  Trae leads the league in total turnovers by a wide margin.  Brown has more loose ball turnovers than him and he ain’t even a Point lol.  He’d be a low level three point and FT shooter relative to this current roster.  More than solid man defender, meh team-wise.  But if that’s y’all’s big get have at it.

Aye, don't gimme problems benhillo, gimme solutions.  Who you think we can realistically add?

And, so help me, if you say Jimi Buttler .... 🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Aye, don't gimme problems benhillo, gimme solutions.  Who you think we can realistically add?

And, so help me, if you say Jimi Buttler .... 🤬

Exactly.  Hawks fans would pass on every player in the league because of some perceived weakness and just let other teams pass us by.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

It seems like people have their favs and their sacred cows. 

However, I'm bout that comparison action...  I dropped year (this year's stats)  age (both 26) and Games (DJ 66, JB 61) to make space for the table.  

Rk Player         MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1 Jaylen Brown         36.1 10.0 20.4 .492 2.5 7.3 .344 7.5 13.0 .575 .554 4.1 5.4 .774 1.2 5.6 6.9 3.4 1.2 0.4 2.9 2.7 26.7
2 Dejounte Murray         36.4 8.3 18.0 .460 1.9 5.4 .352 6.4 12.6 .506 .513 2.0 2.5 .827 0.7 4.7 5.4 6.0 1.5 0.3 2.2 1.5 20.5

Rk Player       MP PER TS% 3PAr FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG%   OWS DWS WS WS/48   OBPM DBPM BPM VORP
1 Jaylen Brown       2204 19.5 .588 .360 .263 3.7 16.9 10.4 16.1 1.6 1.0 11.3 31.1   2.0 2.9 4.9 .106   1.9 -0.3 1.6 2.0
2 Dejounte Murray       2403 17.0 .537 .301 .136 2.2 14.3 8.1 23.9 2.0 0.6 10.3 24.6   1.9 2.2 4.0 .081   1.1 0.0 1.0 

DJ's VORP = 1.9. 

I know many people are on Jaylen Brown because he's from Atlanta and he wants to play here.   However, I don't see a whole lot that says that he's that much better than DJ.   As I see it, he rebounds better, he gets to the line more, and he hits his 2s better.   But that's it.   They are neck and neck all the rest of the way... and there are several trade proposals:

1. Jaylen for Trae?  - Nawl. 
  2. JJ and DJ and JC for Jaylen and Gallo?  - Nawl. 
  3. Hunter and DJ and JC for Jaylen and??  - Nawl. 

It don't make sense if DJ is involved + other assets because Jaylen is not that much better than DJ. 

Right now, getting Jaylen is just a shoulder shrug. 

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

This is going to be a problem for Boston if it's common knowledge JB wants out. There goes all their leverage to get a star player like Trae in return. Either take the best offer you can get, or he walks for nothing in free agency.

I haven't looked at the cap numbers, maybe someone who's smarter than me has, but I wonder if we could just sign him outright summer 2024 if we can move some of our larger contracts (Hunter, JC, Capella).

Anything is possible if you are dumping salary and not taking much back, but not necessarilyrealistic. I'm assuming the 2024-25 salary cap will be around $145 million. Brown would be eligible for a 30% max so a contract starting at $43.5 million.

In 2024-25, Hawks are slated to have approximately $138 million of players under contract assuming no DJ extension, or early signings of OO and Bey.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Diesel said:

As I see it, he rebounds better, he gets to the line more, and he hits his 2s better.

I mean....that's quite a lot.  You just summed up the object of basketball.  

I'd say that Jaylen Brown is and has been the #2 guy on a team that has multiple ECF appearances, 50 win seasons, and a finals appearance.  So far DJ has done a lot less.  Doesn't mean he won't or isn't better but i wouldn't discount the accomplishments. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

In 2024-25, Hawks are slated to have approximately $138 million of players under contract assuming no DJ extension, or early signings of OO and Bey.

Yeah.. Not everybody gets to stay.   I think we will probably have some trades to clear up space either way.  I mentioned the Bey dynamic the other day.   If I had to choose between keeping Bey and signing him to a reasonable deal.. and keeping Dre... It's Ay Bey Bey...  I'm keeping Bey (right now).   Dre has to show that he can be what we need.. that Big Defensive wing that Supes is always talking about.   He doesn't seem so defensive to me.   And Bey is a better 3 pt shooter and Hustler. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I mean....that's quite a lot.  You just summed up the object of basketball.  

I'd say that Jaylen Brown is and has been the #2 guy on a team that has multiple ECF appearances, 50 win seasons, and a finals appearance.  So far DJ has done a lot less.  Doesn't mean he won't or isn't better but i wouldn't discount the accomplishments. 

Not really. 

DJ hits the three pointer better.  DJ can shoot better (2s) than he's been shooting.    But the rebounds are a matter of size.   Brown is a bigger guard and that may be the trick here.  However, the gallary is right when they say that our three point shooting will dip with him.   However, he's a guy that can get to the FT line too.   Or is that a Boston thing?

I did say that Brown is better than DJ... Don't misinterpret that... But I also said, the gap isn't that large.   We're talking about selling the farm for Brown.  I don't see him as being worth the whole farm.

17 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I know many people are on Jaylen Brown because he's from Atlanta and he wants to play here.   However, I don't see a whole lot that says that he's that much better than DJ.   As I see it, he rebounds better, he gets to the line more, and he hits his 2s better.   But that's it.   They are neck and neck all the rest of the way... and there are several trade proposals:

1. Jaylen for Trae?  - Nawl. 
  2. JJ and DJ and JC for Jaylen and Gallo?  - Nawl. 
  3. Hunter and DJ and JC for Jaylen and??  - Nawl. 

It don't make sense if DJ is involved + other assets because Jaylen is not that much better than DJ. 

Right now, getting Jaylen is just a shoulder shrug. 

We have the smallest point guard in the league.

6-6, 220 vs 6-4, 180 is the comparison you should be doing.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Not really. 

DJ hits the three pointer better.  DJ can shoot better (2s) than he's been shooting.    But the rebounds are a matter of size.   Brown is a bigger guard and that may be the trick here.  However, the gallary is right when they say that our three point shooting will dip with him.   However, he's a guy that can get to the FT line too.   Or is that a Boston thing?

I did say that Brown is better than DJ... Don't misinterpret that... But I also said, the gap isn't that large.   We're talking about selling the farm for Brown.  I don't see him as being worth the whole farm.

You're looking at this season.  For their career Brown is a much better three point shooter.   Neither are great but respectable at least.  Either way we could use better three point shooting from the 3 and 4. 

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

We have the smallest point guard in the league.

6-6, 220 vs 6-4, 180 is the comparison you should be doing.

Yeah... I see that and haven't missed that.   The farm is still the farm though.   Is he worth the farm?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

You're looking at this season.  For their career Brown is a much better three point shooter.   Neither are great but respectable at least.  Either way we could use better three point shooting from the 3 and 4. 

I agree. 

Don't get me wrong,   Trae, Brown, Bey, JJ, and OO could be the future lineup.   With Bogi off the bench.    I just think we need to have our house in order if we're giving up a lot for Brown.  Is this a championship team. 

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Yeah... I see that and haven't missed that.   The farm is still the farm though.   Is he worth the farm?

I guess it depends on what you consider "the farm" to be. I think we as a fanbase have a tendency to overvalue our players. Happened with JC, happened with Cam, and is currently happening with Hunter. JJ and AJ, it's too early in their careers to know, but I'm not letting that "potential" keep me from making a trade for a proven star in this league.

Edited by ShooterSays
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

However, I don't see a whole lot that says that he's that much better than DJ. 

I see a lot that says Jalen is more naturally a 2 and DJ is being forced to play there because Trae is on the team. DJ is best as a 1. This is not so much about talent upgrade as it is about finding a better fit.