• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae and DJM snubbed from All Star game

Sothron

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't think this will check is ego though, if that's even a problem.  I think it makes him think he should be in Chicago, NY, LA where you get free passes to the riches of the league. 

well if that's what happens then it shows me that he is even more immature and delusional than I previously suspected.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I mean that's a lot of caveats to make an all star team.  How's Chicago and Indy doing?  They seemed to put guys in the game no problem despite sucking.  Is not beefing with your coach now a requirement for being an all star?  Rumored to have a bad attitude?  Why not just say he shouldn't go because folks don't like his hair and he's short and he makes a whiny face a lot.   

I think there's a big difference between "bat attitude" and "coach killer" vs "bad hair" and "resting bitch face".

• Haha 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, shakes said:

well if that's what happens then it shows me that he is even more immature and delusional than I previously suspected.

Maybe i'm in the dark but i seriously doubt that Trae is significantly more egotistical, immature, and delusional than a whole ton of guys in this league.   So not sure why he would be singled out when the only knocks on his character have been rumored locker room stuff.   Has he ever knocked out a teammate?  spit on fans?  Shot birds to the crowd?  Shouted at his coach that he was irrelevant during a timeout in front of cameras?  Ignored little kids asking for autographs?  Called out his teammates in the press?   

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Diesel said:

Trae may just drop 50 on Utah.

I doubt Trae drops 50 all year.   The guys who are dropping 50 these days are doing it on great shooting.  Trae doesn't appear to be capable of great shooting over an entire game these days.   His only 40+ games this year were both while shooting under 50%.    Not a single player who broke 50 this year did it shooting under 50%.    Trae isn't in that class of player, at least not anymore.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Maybe i'm in the dark but i seriously doubt that Trae is significantly more egotistical, immature, and delusional than a whole ton of guys in this league.   So not sure why he would be singled out when the only knocks on his character have been rumored locker room stuff.   Has he ever knocked out a teammate?  spit on fans?  Shot birds to the crowd?  Shouted at his coach that he was irrelevant during a timeout in front of cameras?  Ignored little kids asking for autographs?  Called out his teammates in the press?   

you are definitely in the dark if you don't see the immaturity in his attitude on the court.    But you are correct, Trae does not have a history of public temper tantrums.  Not that that has any relevance to what I'm saying....

• Moderators
1 minute ago, shakes said:

you are definitely in the dark if you don't see the immaturity in his attitude on the court.    But you are correct, Trae does not have a history of public temper tantrums.  Not that that has any relevance to what I'm saying....

How is that different than Randle, Lowry, Lebron, MJ, Luka, CP?

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

To have an all star weekend where no one will see a single Hawks player is really bad.   Motivation or rest doesn't matter much to me.  We have one of the worst team perceptions in the league and this just makes it worse.  

You can hash all the numbers and records but bottom line 27/10 puts you easily in the all star game.  It's absurd.

You make your own perception by winning.

I'm not worried. We'll get what perception we deserve in the end.

Whatever helps us win is what needs most to happen.

I tend to agree rest is good.... that will help us win.

I tend to agree that there's also some significant potential for some significant motivation to come out of being dissed.... that will help us win.

And, to me, ASG weekend is actually a distraction in a lot of ways... really, just a show and the tangible essence of hyperbole. No one takes it seriously, nor should they. It's not set up to be serious. For it to become something serious, guys have to perceive that there's something valuable at stake. Sports normally has that built-in... players are people and people have egos, so it's normal to want to win, but no one cares... that's been lost, as it has in football.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Realistically, I don't think Trae deserves it this year.  Volume points and assists are great, but his shooting has been absolutely abysmal.  His eFG% is bottom 10 in the entire league.  People want to see "stars" make shots.  I don't know where the clutch stats are but he's probably bottom 10 in the league in those situations too.  And before people whine I'm not including FTs, he's 121st in the league in TS%.  So yes, he's putting up volume stats but 121st in efficiency while being 12th in FGA per game... it's not great. 

Trae is 80th in WS/48, 26th in VORP, 30th in BPM... he really just has two basic volume stats to support his bid and that's about it.  And that doesn't include all the off-court drama that certainly affects perception... His impact was just far greater in prior years imo.  He's not entitled to the all-star game because of his contract or his performance in past seasons.  I'm with @shakes that I think this is a good thing and hopefully motivation for him.

And there's also all the off-court drama that certainly affects perception... 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

How is that different than Randle, Lowry, Lebron, MJ, Luka, CP?

Is that a joke?  I don't even understand what you're asking.   You really don't see a difference in Trae's attitude on the court vs those guys?

Sorry, but you need to first explain how those guys are similar to Trae.

5 minutes ago, sturt said:

You make your own perception by winning.

I'm not worried. We'll get what perception we deserve in the end.

Whatever helps us win is what needs most to happen.

I tend to agree rest is good.... that will help us win.

I tend to agree that there's also some significant potential for some significant motivation to come out of being dissed.... that will help us win.

And, to me, ASG weekend is actually a distraction in a lot of ways... really, just a show and the tangible essence of hyperbole. No one takes it seriously, nor should they. It's not set up to be serious. For it to become something serious, guys have to perceive that there's something valuable at stake. Sports normally has that built-in... players are people and people have egos, so it's normal to want to win, but no one cares... that's been lost, as it has in football.

holy shit, are me and Sturt on the same page on something!?!??!?

Bout time you smartened up 🙂

• Haha 2

• Moderators

Trae's shooting put him in the mix with a group of guys some of whom were going to be All-Stars and some of whom were not.  (Harden didn't play for 40% of the season so I'm not even counting him).  If he shoots his normal TS% then this isn't a conversation.  But he has struggled so, while I can definitely make a case for him over some of the guys who got in, it doesn't infuriate me to my core the way it would in a normal year for him.

I do hope he uses it to reasses things for the better for both short and longterm and uses it in the short-term as motivation to have a great second half of the year and to commit to winning so he can show up big in the playoffs while DeRozan, Haliburton and others are watching him play from their couch.  (Note @shakes that while Chicago and Indiana have losing records Atlanta is .500 and has a winning 24-22 record with Trae.  Chicago is 23-25 with DD.)

If Trae does that, it could be the unusual (but seen) case of someone missing the All-Star game but making the All-NBA team at the end of the year.  If Nate can keep feeding meaningful minutes to our young guys, we could make a little noise in the playoffs with an improved Trae which I would take over seeing Trae in the All-Star game.

(But I will note that if he was a Knick or something he would get in as a no-brainer based on counting stats alone.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, warcore said:

None of them are in the same class as either Trae or DJM. 

This is ridiculous. But I'll bet you they both turn it on to finish the season as a result of getting snubbed. 

Wait Randle made it? Wtf. I thought Brunson was the reason.

25 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

And there's also all the off-court drama that certainly affects perception... 

huh? I don’t get what off court drama. There’s no evidence of this just Shams walking around the facility being a moron trying to gather fake dust.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

huh? I don’t get what off court drama. There’s no evidence of this just Shams walking around the facility being a moron trying to gather fake dust.

I mean, I didn't need Shams to report it when Trae just no-showed to a game after getting into an argument in practice.  He wasn't there.  Trae is not an angel -- I'm not sure why people get so uncomfortable at the slightest amount of criticism.  @shakes is a huge Trae stan, I have 3 Trae jerseys... you can be a fan and objective at the same time.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
Just now, JeffS17 said:

I mean, I didn't need Shams to report it when Trae just no-showed to a game after getting into an argument in practice.  He wasn't there.  Trae is not an angel -- I'm not sure why people get so uncomfortable at the slightest amount of criticism.  @shakes is a huge Trae stan, I have 3 Trae jerseys... you can be a fan and objective at the same time.  

I don't have any issues calling out Trae's bs.  I just don't understand acting like a whole ton of other stars in this league don't act in similar or worse ways? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, macdaddy said:

I don't have any issues calling out Trae's bs.  I just don't understand acting like a whole ton of other stars in this league don't act in similar or worse ways? 

Yes, I agree there are a lot of divas in the league

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Diesel said:

Trae may just drop 50 on Utah.

For missing out on the AllStar game?  Did he expect it?

Hes shooting 42% from the field this season(111th of qualified players) and 32% from 3(137th) and leading the entire NBA in turnovers..

• Like 1