• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Quin Snyder, Charles Lee or Kenny Atkinson

Spud2nique

Next coach mentioned by woj; who you like  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Whose best for us?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/02/2023 at 07:12 AM

I have a few questions about Snyder in Utah. Snyder in Atlanta I remember, but dude in Utah was great in the regular season with Mitch and Rudy, what happened to his schemes in the playoffs? Did he adjust in any particular series well? I remember the Jazz doing really well that bubble year, but was it Don or Rudy or the system.

Would Snyder be getting a better roster with ours vs Don, Rudy, Royce O, Ingles, Clarkson and company? 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I have a few questions about Snyder in Utah. Snyder in Atlanta I remember, but dude in Utah was great in the regular season with Mitch and Rudy, what happened to his schemes in the playoffs? Did he adjust in any particular series well? I remember the Jazz doing really well that bubble year, but was it Don or Rudy or the system.

Would Snyder be getting a better roster with ours vs Don, Rudy, Royce O, Ingles, Clarkson and company? 

Snyder's comments:

“At the core, and what drives me every day is our players and their passion for the game, their desire to constantly work to improve and their dedication to the team and the Jazz. I strongly feel they need a new voice to continue to evolve. That’s it. No philosophical differences, no other reason. After eight years, I just feel it is time to move onward. I needed to take time to detach after the season and make sure this was the right decision. I greatly respect and appreciate Ryan, Danny and Justin’s discussions regarding moving forward together, I just know it is time. I am forever appreciative of all the players, coaches, partners, and people I have worked with at the Jazz. Your sacrifice, your kinship have made this an incredible and special experience. Amy and I are so grateful for our time here as it has been just a tremendous place to raise our family. Thank you to our always supportive and passionate fans. We only want the best for you and to see you raise a championship banner.”

For any outgoing coach to say “they need a new voice to continue to evolve” is an honest and impressive statement. Snyder’s contract was guaranteed for this coming season and he had a coach’s option season after that.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Thought this was interesting, granted this was from last offseason... but it's Ainge.

Well, yeah, if Snyder's going to insist on continuing to be paid by Utah while he's coaching a different NBA team, I'm sure Danny will do just that.

But he won't, of course.

Everyone seemed satisfied, including the owner, by Snyder's decision and the way he handled himself at the time. It seems unlikely to me that Ainge is going to stand in Snyder's way, and in fact, I read one quote where he said he believed Snyder would be back as a head coach in the league pretty quickly.

Why, after all, would you want to pay a guy to not be an NBA head coach... that is, unless you really don't like the guy, or you really just want to ensure he doesn't land with one of your team's perceived rivals. Neither of those would seem to apply.

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, sturt said:

Well, yeah, if Snyder's going to insist on continuing to be paid by Utah while he's coaching a different NBA team, I'm sure Danny will do just that.

It's not a money thing. In some instances the amount owed from previous team is offset with the new team. But Ainge can prohibit him from taking a new job until his contract runs out or as stated he will be looking for draft compensation.

The Clippers paid 2 2nd rounders for Doc Rivers from Boston during Ainge's time.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's not a money thing. In some instances the amount owed from previous team is offset with the new team. But Ainge can prohibit him from taking a new job until his contract runs out or as stated he will be looking for draft compensation.

The Clippers paid 2 2nd rounders for Doc Rivers from Boston during Ainge's time.

While I was mostly being facetious, for the contract to continue... Hawksquawk Legal, correct me if I'm wrong... Snyder has to continue being paid unless he signed something new that allows Jazz to continue to hold his rights without having to compensate him.

But no, I don't think the money part is actually a defining factor here.

My understanding about that Clips/Celts deal was that it was an outright trade... the Cs hadn't already hired Doc's replacement... and I thought it was for a 1st, but I'm cloudy on that... maybe a 1st that turned into 2nds??? Dunno, and don't care enough to google.

I think this is different. Jazz have already moved on, and have little reason to want to prevent Snyder from moving on.

• Premium Member

I would hesitate on Ime before giving him too much credit for Boston.  they haven't skipped a beat under the new coach.   

When you have a team led by Marcus Smart and you have two superstars who completely buy in to playing both ends of the floor, the team pretty much coaches itself.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Working theory.

Tony Ressler hates, hates, hates the idea of hiring a head coach who does not have a suitable amount of melanin, or who has a wenis.

But he's also facing the reality that Snyder is right there available for the picking, and so there must be, at least, the semblance of some effort made to assess options.

Call me cynical.

16 minutes ago, shakes said:

I would hesitate on Ime before giving him too much credit for Boston.  they haven't skipped a beat under the new coach.   

When you have a team led by Marcus Smart and you have two superstars who completely buy in to playing both ends of the floor, the team pretty much coaches itself.

But who got them to buy in?  Because they absolutely did not buy in pre-Ime.  Mazzula is benefiting from that this year, my guy.

Before Udoka, they were pre-Ime-donnas.  Cmon, laugh. 

Edited by kg01

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

But who got them to buy in?  Because they absolutely did not buy in pre-Ime.  Mazzula is benefiting from that this year, my guy.

Mazzulla's Celtics are better offensively than Ime's and less defensive with better pace.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Before Udoka, they were pre-Ime-donnas.  Cmon, laugh. 

maturity?  Growing up?  Light bulb above their head made them realize that they should start listening to Marcus Smart?

Lots of ways to explain that besides giving the credit to the coach.