• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Givony (ESPN): Saddiq Bey Seeking 'De'Andre Hunter-Type Contract' in Free Agency

GameTime

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10066768-hawks-rumors-saddiq-bey-seeking-deandre-hunter-type-contract-in-free-agency

The Detroit Pistons traded Saddiq Bey to the Atlanta Hawks in a four-team deal that also included the Golden State Warriors and Portland Trail Blazers earlier this month, and the forward's impending restricted free agency could have played a role in the move.

ESPN's Jonathan Givony reported on The Lowe Post podcast (h/t RealGM) that Bey was seeking a lucrative extension for his next contract.

"I had heard he was asking for insane money this upcoming summer," Givony said. "That the feeling was he would need a De'Andre Hunter type contract in order to keep him. So if that's the case, to me he's closer to a midlevel guy than $20-plus million per year."

Hunter signed a four-year, $90 million extension with Atlanta before the start of the 2022-23 season. The extension kicks in beginning next season.

The 25-year-old, who was selected fourth overall in the 2019 NBA draft, had a solid first three seasons in Atlanta, averaging 13.2 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 139 games while shooting 43.4 percent from the floor and 35.9 percent from deep.

Hunter has gone on to have a career year this season, averaging 15.9 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 49 games while shooting 46.0 percent from the floor and 35.9 percent from deep.

Bey, who was selected 19th overall in the 2020 draft, is in his third NBA season. He's averaged 14.4 points, 4.9 rebounds and 2.0 assists in 206 games in that span while shooting 40.0 percent from the floor and 35.8 percent from deep.

Considering the 23-year-old has averaged similar numbers to Hunter through his first three seasons, it's reasonable to believe he's worth a similar value. However, that all depends on how teams view him.

Bey is under contract through 2023-24 with his club option having been exercised for next season. If no extension is reached, he'll become a restricted free agent at the end of next season.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What's the maximum amount you would offer Bey as an early signee? He's due $4.5 million next season.

That's a great question and I can honestly see him wanting what Hunter got considering he's almost identical career wise in points, rebounds and assists.  My question is if you think Hunter is worth his contract would Bey be worth the same?

I'm not inclined to give him that money but I guess you could argue he's worth it.  He's a 36% career 3pt shooter....OK.  I know I'll get hate for it, but Hunter is just ok to me.  Sometimey at every damn thing.  I haven't seen Bey a lot but Meh to a Hunter level contract.  

In other words Jay...h3ll if I know 😂😂

• Haha 1

Will need to see more how he fits, but initial take … 4/~64-72. Quality 6th or very high end 7th man money, but not hunter $. Kevin huerter type $$$. 

he’s also not someone I’d go into the LT for … so he may be getting traded or we lose for nothing.  

Edited by h4wkfan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Will need to see more how he fits, but initial take … 4/~64-72. Quality 6th or very high end 7th man money, but not hunter $. Kevin huerter type $$$. 

he’s also not someone I’d go into the LT for … so he may be getting traded or we lose for nothing.  

I agree with this. 4/66 seems to be what his true value is in my opinion. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

DeAndre Hunter wasnt even worth a DeAndre Hunter contract. Is every half way decent player worth 9 figures now? Geez. 

He is worth it as the open market would have given it to him. Big wing, elite defensive positional versatility. Every contender is looking for that. 

As for Bey. It depends on how good he is in Atlanta offensively. Hunter got 4/90. That's probably on the extreme high end for Bey. Without a defensive position, getting 4/75 could be a reach but it all depends on how good he is offensively. Even then, I forgot what Dre got. No way is he getting 4/90. He just doesn't have a defensive position and that's critical to getting paid. 

I see him if he keeps this up at 4/70. Which is 5 million more than Kevin got.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What's the maximum amount you would offer Bey as an early signee? He's due $4.5 million next season.

With the Cap going up..

Maybe 4 year 65.

He's more aggressive than Dre but his defense is ???    He let ole boy just walk right past him...

But then again, Dinwiddie made OO BBQ Chicken all afternoon.   He was outside the State Farm Arena selling Pulled OO sandwiches with a side of Bey chips.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
On 2/26/2023 at 1:31 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Unless it's a great deal, I'd let him hit RFAcy the following year. 

Me too.  Hawks need to let the market set the price for some of these RFA.  If someone wants to give him $100M then good luck.  If he ends up with a $60M offer as his best alternative, you don't offer a penny more than $60M.  No more JC deals where the player searches the market and then you give him more than he was offered elsewhere.  Whatever deal the team offers comes off the table when a player starts shopping themselves in FA.  It might get put back on the table but it might be that they need to sign a sheet and let the Hawks match or not.

• Like 1