• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OFFICIAL: Hawks and All we do is Quin Quin Quin

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

https://omny.fm/shows/92-9-the-game-morning-show-w-john-and-hugh/landry-fields-what-are-the-immediate-expectations

Pruning down to what you hadn't already heard

- Emphasis these last 20 games will be less on winning since we don't control results, more on building winning habits

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Nate took a lot of heat, of course, for not playing JJ after JC went down last season.

But his decision was defensible in light of the fact that coaches are expected to make the post season, and there was naturally greater risk in playing a rookie who'd played so little in his senior HS year, so little in his freshman year, and due to some of his own health issues, not all that much even in his rookie season in G-league.

Entering this season, Nate specifically explicitly plainly stated that he was expecting to see JJ earn minutes, and in context, replace Gallo behind John. IIRC, that was at the training camp presser.

What happened between then and now is just strange. I don't know how to explain it. It was the one sticking point for me, and I've never been one oozing with Nate hate as some have been. It was disappointing, and though I couldn't pretend myself as having any evidence either way, my inclination was that Nate was just seeing some things in practice that persuaded him he needed to take it especially slow with Jalen, and that giving Jalen too many minutes would necessarily translate into more risk of losing.

I still tend to think that because I am convinced that Nate was always going to make decisions pivoted on winning games today, and worry about tomorrow later. And, that he so quickly dispensed with playing veteran JDay over rookie AJ further solidified that reasoning, to me.

Will be interesting to see how QS approaches it all.

Can't really disagree with this.  As you know, I'm very willing to believe that a coach will be biased to make decisions to improve the short-term competitiveness of a team to the detriment of the long-term outlook.  I think it was crazy we didn't give JJ real run last year leading up to key roster decisions this past offseason for how we would setup the roster at PF with Gallo not returning this season.  Also thought it would be counterproductive to the team's playoff chances not to give JJ plenty of run (i.e., a developed JJ makes us stronger in the playoffs) but that limiting JJ's minutes because he was young was the exact type of decision someone like Nate not only might make but should be expected to make.

I think your only chance at winning our bet is the fact that Nate got fired and now JJ might see an uptick in his minutes.  (Although that is going to be a slim chance at this point of the season with Nate already having given JJ less than 20 mpg in 4 of the 5 months this year.)

• Like 2

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think your only chance at winning our bet

giphy.gif

Probably should just let you take a victory lap now, because whatever it was I bet (???), was certainly premised on Nate coaching the team.

===EDIT===

Did the math.

If Jalen averages just one minute more than DJM's team-leading 36 per game in these last 20, I'm golden.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Obviously yes.  Are you not try-lingual?  

Actually yes (English, Spanish, Italian).
I'm very adept with languages. 
I think that makes me a cunning lingual.  

4 hours ago, AHF said:

Can't really disagree with this.  As you know, I'm very willing to believe that a coach will be biased to make decisions to improve the short-term competitiveness of a team to the detriment of the long-term outlook.  I think it was crazy we didn't give JJ real run last year leading up to key roster decisions this past offseason for how we would setup the roster at PF with Gallo not returning this season.  Also thought it would be counterproductive to the team's playoff chances not to give JJ plenty of run (i.e., a developed JJ makes us stronger in the playoffs) but that limiting JJ's minutes because he was young was the exact type of decision someone like Nate not only might make but should be expected to make.

I think your only chance at winning our bet is the fact that Nate got fired and now JJ might see an uptick in his minutes.  (Although that is going to be a slim chance at this point of the season with Nate already having given JJ less than 20 mpg in 4 of the 5 months this year.)

JJ getting a DNP does not seem like a ringing endorsement from Quinn.  We shall see of course, as one game is not enough of a sample size.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Packfill said:

JJ getting a DNP does not seem like a ringing endorsement from Quinn.  We shall see of course, as one game is not enough of a sample size.

With Bey we have too many guys in the big rotation.   Bey,JC, OO, Capela and JJ.    But Bey can shoot better than JJ.  It's going to be interesing how Snyder works him in. 

• Premium Member

Say what now?????

One nugget that illustrates the strange politics of the place: There are whispers that Fields didn't want Snyder hired in the first place. And that Korver was the one, by managing the Resslers effectively, who pushed for Snyder's hire. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/the-atlanta-hawks-have-a-trae-young-problem-quin-snyder-is-there-to-fix-it-one-way-or-the-other/

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Say what now?????

One nugget that illustrates the strange politics of the place: There are whispers that Fields didn't want Snyder hired in the first place. And that Korver was the one, by managing the Resslers effectively, who pushed for Snyder's hire. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/the-atlanta-hawks-have-a-trae-young-problem-quin-snyder-is-there-to-fix-it-one-way-or-the-other/

Heck, any one of us could have written that piece from scraps we've heard.

All of it, or none of it, could be true. But nothing in here is original. 

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Say what now?????

All of that is hard to believe.  Starting with that this writer got access in to all these NBA execs in the last 3 days to get this intel about Snyder's hiring.   

But I also find it hard to believe that any actual GM would say this to a reporter directly

Or, a bit more harsh, as one GM put it: "You can't win with him."

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I like the thing where they said the Trae Young experience isn't going well.    I mean how's the Ayton, Bagley, Luka experience going?  I mean where it's going well are with teams led by stars that have been in the league for 6-10 years.  I'd say we've had a stumble, mostly caused by inept and cheap ownership and front office drama but we're actually doing well, as is Trae.  

Gramps said be careful what you wish for… Luka wanted help so… 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Hunter on what the expectation is for Quin's immediate impact:

“Honestly, I wouldn’t expect much…It’s going to be hard for him to implement his system and for us to do what he wants us to do. But at the end of the day, we just have to play. We have to win games like this where we have the lead for the majority of the game, and we’re going to learn about him just like he’s going to learn about us for the next 20 games.” —De’Andre Hunter

• Thanks 1