• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you Do it and Question of the Day for 5-10.... This is everything...

Diesel

Would you do the following trade?  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

Went to Celtics Twitter to laugh at the Celts and drink Celtic tears... and came across the following:

Then this...

Didn't realize that Jaylen Brown to Atlanta was a possibility.  Not a real one.  Well... he does have all the leverage. 

My would you do it is as follows...

image.png

The question of the day...

Do we believe that Jaylen would put us in Chip contention?

• Like 1

It’s a heck of a lot, but sometimes that’s why you stockpile talent to wait for a guy like Jaylen. 

For us to give up 2.5 starters for one is a lot. But given that DM has 1 year left, as does Jaylen that evens things out for me a bit. Essentially giving up on Hunter, who at this point, I think he is who he is, which is a very solid guy but he just doesn’t seem to have the DOG in him that Jaylen does.

Jalen Johnson grew on me a lot this year and really showed me some nice tools ⚒️ he got in his bag…

In the end though, I pull it for Jaylen.

Trae + Jaylen is a hit. 

YES!!!!

My other target is OG..

IMG_7585.jpeg

Edited by Spud2nique

• Moderators

This is a tough one, D.  I assume it would be a given that Brown would resign with us.  I really like a lineup of:

Trae / ?

Bogi / Griffin

Brown / Bey / Griffin

JC / Bey / Gallo

OO / CC

+ FRP

I think I would try to sign a backup PG in FA and draft a wing.  Losing Hunter and JJ are really hard and you'd need Brown to step up as the replacement defender.  But man that is really an interesting lineup.  It would hurt to see those 3 guys excelling in Boston but that does seem like a trade that might get both sides to bite.

No to the trade.  I also said no to  being a title contender with JB.  If there was some way to magically add JB without giving up anything of value, then the answer would be yes.  But the acquisition cost is so high that I'm not sure the trade would be a net positive for the hawks.  

34 minutes ago, AHF said:

This is a tough one, D.  I assume it would be a given that Brown would resign with us.  I really like a lineup of:

Trae / ?

Bogi / Griffin

Brown / Bey / Griffin

JC / Bey / Gallo

OO / CC

+ FRP

I think I would try to sign a backup PG in FA and draft a wing.  Losing Hunter and JJ are really hard and you'd need Brown to step up as the replacement defender.  But man that is really an interesting lineup.  It would hurt to see those 3 guys excelling in Boston but that does seem like a trade that might get both sides to bite.

My issue with the acquisition cost is replacing 2 starters plus a guy we all think could grow into an all star type player with a single player on what will be a larger contract.  

Could you do something like this in addition to that deal to get better defensively?  

Tradeidea.thumb.jpg.f31ed6358fe575559ae131fcda57cb15.jpg

Trae / Caruso

Bogi / AJ

JB / Bey

JC / Bey / Gallo

OO / JC / McGee

I'd also do that deal without the JB deal and have:

Trae / Caruso

DJM / Bogi 

Hunter / AJ / Bey

JC / JJ / Hunter

OO / JC / McGee

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

My issue with the acquisition cost is replacing 2 starters plus a guy we all think could grow into an all star type player with a single player on what will be a larger contract.  

Could you do something like this in addition to that deal to get better defensively?  

Tradeidea.thumb.jpg.f31ed6358fe575559ae131fcda57cb15.jpg

Trae / Caruso

Bogi / AJ

JB / Bey

JC / Bey / Gallo

OO / JC / McGee

I'd also do that deal without the JB deal and have:

Trae / Caruso

DJM / Bogi 

Hunter / AJ / Bey

JC / JJ / Hunter

OO / JC / McGee

That deal only makes sense to me as a path to giving OO significantly more minutes than CC going forward.  If you are going to do that, then trading CC for depth makes some sense.  Caruso is definitely a plus defender who makes a big difference to his team, imo.  McGee is more of a mixed bag.

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

No to the trade.  I also said no to  being a title contender with JB.  If there was some way to magically add JB without giving up anything of value, then the answer would be yes.  But the acquisition cost is so high that I'm not sure the trade would be a net positive for the hawks.  

I said no.. for similar reasons.. but I'm wavering.   JB is a real talent that shows up in big games.   JJ is fun to watch and has potential but he hasn't shown us enough to hold up the trade.   The real question for me is will having JB produce more than having DM + DH?  I guess a better question is could we lock up DM?  If there's a question of Murray considering playing some place else and not Atlanta then I pull the trigger on this trade.   If Murray is on board with signing with the Hawks...  I have much more to think about. 

My opinion is that the Trae + DJM duo didn't fail us.   What failed us was the Trae + everybody else.  We just didn't have the shooters.   But as I look now..  JC should be over 36% from three.  Bogi is in good shape.   AJ should be able to play more minutes with maturity. JJ should do better.   Bey is a Godsend.  Hunter will be at least 36% from 3...  We should have a lot of firepower where we were weak.  Lends me to say with the PG, SG, SF... we can run it back.   The other problem is a coaching issue at PF/C... that may require personnel movement... either trade or playing CC less. 

But then you put:

Trae, Bogi, JB, JC, CC in my face.  

The one problem with JB...  Have we considered his three point shooting?

Over the past three years, he has put up over 7 3pters a game and have watched his % go down...  39.7% , 35.8%,  33.5%.   That's not great.

Yes, He got that Dog.  Yes, his aggression is full stage.   But Hunter is a better 3 pt shooter. 

Let's take away the thoughts that's he's from Atlanta. 

Let's take away the thoughts that he may want to come home and play for his hometown team.

Is he worth the move?

Who is saying that DHunter is done maturing?

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Over the past three years, he has put up over 7 3pters a game and have watched his % go down...  39.7% , 35.8%,  33.5%.   That's not great.

Yes, He got that Dog.  Yes, his aggression is full stage.   But Hunter is a better 3 pt shooter. 

Let's take away the thoughts that he may want to come home and play for his hometown team.

Is he worth the move?

Yeah his % has gone down but he's only marginally worse than Hunter this year on double the attempts.   He has a better career % than DH and most importantly the dude shoots 38% from 3 in the playoffs and keeps getting better.  We're comparing an all star #2 player on a finals team with Hunter.  No disrespect to Hunter, i like him, but they aren't in the same class.  

image.png

Is Hunter done maturing?  Yeah i'd say that in terms of his skillset.  I think Quinn will get more out of him on the offensive end but it may not be what everyone wants.  I think he's going to be primarily a catch and shoot guy.    

All that said, giving up DJ, Hunter, JJ is a LOT.  In general i make a trade to get a proven all star over hoping some guys get better but i guess this deal would depend on if there are picks involved. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

e're comparing an all star #2 player on a finals team with Hunter.  No disrespect to Hunter, i like him, but they aren't in the same class.  

Well, it's not just Hunter.  It's Hunter + Murray.   And with Hunter, you have what Hunter can become...   It's hard giving up 2 starters for a starter.  You don't see it done much. 

I will concede that Hunter may never had the aggression that JB has.   I like the fact that JB has that "I'll go get it" in him.  Something that is rarely seen in Hunter. 

29 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I said no.. for similar reasons.. but I'm wavering.   JB is a real talent that shows up in big games.   JJ is fun to watch and has potential but he hasn't shown us enough to hold up the trade.   The real question for me is will having JB produce more than having DM + DH?  I guess a better question is could we lock up DM?  If there's a question of Murray considering playing some place else and not Atlanta then I pull the trigger on this trade.   If Murray is on board with signing with the Hawks...  I have much more to think about. 

My opinion is that the Trae + DJM duo didn't fail us.   What failed us was the Trae + everybody else.  We just didn't have the shooters.   But as I look now..  JC should be over 36% from three.  Bogi is in good shape.   AJ should be able to play more minutes with maturity. JJ should do better.   Bey is a Godsend.  Hunter will be at least 36% from 3...  We should have a lot of firepower where we were weak.  Lends me to say with the PG, SG, SF... we can run it back.   The other problem is a coaching issue at PF/C... that may require personnel movement... either trade or playing CC less. 

But then you put:

Trae, Bogi, JB, JC, CC in my face.  

The one problem with JB...  Have we considered his three point shooting?

Is he worth the move?

I think you and I are on the same page with this trade (and most of them).  The only counter to what you've said about JB is his 3pt% is better in the playoffs than in the regular season.  

2020: 35.8% on 7 per game

2022: 37.3% on 6.7 per game

2023: 47.5% on 5.5 per game

• Moderators
Just now, Diesel said:

Well, it's not just Hunter.  It's Hunter + Murray.   And with Hunter, you have what Hunter can become...   It's hard giving up 2 starters for a starter.  You don't see it done much. 

I will concede that Hunter may never had the aggression that JB has.   I like the fact that JB has that "I'll go get it" in him.  Something that is rarely seen in Hunter. 

I'm not here to bash Hunter at all but on offense there's just no comparison and what Hunter 'can become' is limited because guys usually don't become good ball handlers or passers if they are subpar at those things at age 25.   So that's going to hold him back offensively.  

I agree though it's a lot to give up.  But I'm not sure we want to be paying DJ+Hunter $50 million for what they bring combined. 

Again it's hard to judge until we really see them in Quinn's system. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I would easily do this. Trading DJ isn't a tough decision when it's for Jaylen on a new 4 year Max. I truly don't believe Collins will ever be the same player he was, and losing Hunter is only difficult from a defensive versatility stand point. I think short term Bey could fill that hole. I could also see us using Capela in a deal to upgrade the position.

Edit: Reread and it's Jalen, not John. Eh... I still think I do it. We hope that Jalen is what Jaylen already is, an All-Star.