• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023 NBA Offseason: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Next story is more revenue for owners and the league is scientifically proven to be better for players.  Trust the science.

In fairness, load management does nothing to make the owners more money unless it works.  They should want their stars on the floor every night if it doesn't make a difference because people should be more willing to pay to watch Michael Jordan than they are to watch Jud Buechler.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AHF said:

In fairness, load management does nothing to make the owners more money unless it works.  They should want their stars on the floor every night if it doesn't make a difference because people should be more willing to pay to watch Michael Jordan than they are to watch Jud Buechler.

Nope.  Players don't have to be on the court for the team to sell their jerseys, merchandise, and dreams.  Look at how LAC sells Kawhi.  Folks still out here talkin bout, "Man if Kawhi's healthy this year, watch out for tha Clippers!"

That crap translates to ticket sales, league pass subscriptions, jersey sales, etc.  Load mgt keeps guys on the team,which is all they need.  If they play, great.  But it's not a prerequisite.  

Eta.  And yes it does catch up eventually, if they don't play.  But it's been 4+ years for LAC.  That's all they need.  They can securely move onto the next pipe dream if they want. 

Edited by kg01
  • Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Nope.  Players don't have to be on the court for the team to sell their jerseys, merchandise, and dreams.  Look at how LAC sells Kawhi.  Folks still out here talkin bout, "Man if Kawhi's healthy this year, watch out for tha Clippers!"

That crap translates to ticket sales, league pass subscriptions, jersey sales, etc.  Load mgt keeps guys on the team,which is all they need.  If they play, great.  But it's not a prerequisite.  

How does load management make them money?  I am  just not seeing it.  How is Kawhi on the bench instead of playing helping them make money?  The player is on the team either way.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

How does load management make them money?  I am  just not seeing it.  How is Kawhi on the bench instead of playing helping them make money?  The player is on the team either way.

It extends the money-making window.  If kawhi had been playing, he'd likely be out of the league by now.  Thus the money making window is closed.  As it is, they can probably extend him again and get more years of ancillary monies off his NIL.

• Moderators
Just now, kg01 said:

It extends the money-making window.  If kawhi had been playing, he'd likely be out of the league by now.  Thus the money making window is closed.  As it is, they can probably extend him again and get more years of ancillary monies off his NIL.

That is saying that load management in fact works by reducing the risk of injury and extending careers.  That makes sense to me but it is contrary to the article that argues load management does not actually do this.  Load management only makes money for owners if it works.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is saying that load management in fact works by reducing the risk of injury and extending careers.  That makes sense to me but it is contrary to the article that argues load management does not actually do this.  Load management only makes money for owners if it works.

It artificially extends careers.  As an extreme example, if I sit you for 3 years after ypu tear your achilles, have i not "extended your career"?  See how stupid that sounds?  Well that's the baseline concept of load management.  IOW, it was always asinine which is why I can't understand why it lasted so long.

It doesn't reduce injury risk and it never has.  Unless it's accepted that a player can't be injured if he does not play -which is silly. 

This article tells us nothing new.  It just admits out loud that the whole concept is dumb because they're not robots.  Load management only exists to justify the sleep analyst and other new personnel.