• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Was this to save money, or did we want Patty as our back up PG?

Patty is more valuable than the package given. Which is just another good trade for this FO.

Patty can be flipped as an expiring (1 player, easy expiring for cap relief needing teams).

OR is a solid PG backup.

• Like 3

Just now, NekiEcko said:

Oh I was wondering if Patty fits within the TPE?  But I think this a good move and set-up for the next couple of moves that the Hawks can do.

It's a much better asset to use for larger trades... higher salary on an expiring.

57 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And in the NBA, very few PGs are moving without the ball in the fashion that people seem to want Trae to move.  I think the Steph Curry comparison to Trae is the wrong one.  He's not Steph. No one is.  The majority of PGs in the NBA are on the ball.  And if they aren't, it's because they aren't good facilitators.

This is the thing far too many people overlook regarding Trae. 

Even under coach Bud you didn’t see Teague and Dennis doing a bunch of off ball stuff. They were initiating offense from PnR too, driving and kicking. The off ball actions were designed around Korver as the shooter or a decoy.
Steph is a unicorn (because he is not a PG) his position in their offense is similar to Kyle Korver when he was in Atlanta. 

Trae is not the caliber of catch and shoot player to play the game like those two did, and until DJ we didn’t have the caliber of playmaking needed to take him off ball. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Sothron said:

teams know we have an artificial date looming. I am still hearing KAT to Atlanta with Capela being needed to be sent to a third team to make Minn happy to get back draft assets. So to answer someone's questeion five pages ago, yes, we do need a third team involved to really make this work. One of my Hawks sources believes the two teams can cut out a third team and jsut make this deal work but I have strong doubts.

If Gay is involved in the trade for Mills doesn’t that change the framework of the KAT deal?

I thought Gay was salary filler to help close the gap. 

5 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

If Gay is involved in the trade for Mills doesn’t that change the framework of the KAT deal?

I wouldn't stay tied to Mills. I also think things change dynamically and I doubt there is a  KAT framework currently as suggested. 

Mills is a great asset to use or trade at this point. And the Hawks DID not want to wait on other teams in order to offload Rudy Gay.

Edited by theheroatl

3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Yeah but Mills can be the stop gap for that if need it (expiring contact) but I think something else is going on.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Hawks still need vet. leadership? Are we bringing back Vince?

The Hawks don’t need to get younger if they want to progress past where they were the last two seasons.  I was anticipating us adding some vet contributors to the roster rather than getting younger so this makes some sense to me.  It also means we are adding someone who knows the Spurs system inside and out and can help our young vets learn it.  This is different than Vince more because the team is at a different stage than we were with Vince.  I don’t expect that Mills has a lot of gas left in the tank but he was playing 29 minutes per game over 81 games just one season ago.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Until you see Jaylen Brown's supermax extension signed, I doubt there will be any KAT trade -- if it happens at all.  The possibility of JB to ATL in a Dame to Boston scenario has to keep our FO from pulling the trigger on anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1