• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I glanced at the Raps realgm board which is their largest community. They think they are going to get a king's ransom for a 30 year old Siakam (he turns 30 during next season) on an expiring deal who also has said he won't resign with a team that trades for him. 

I can only attribute it to denial. There's several comments making shots at our board for not going along with their asinine trade demands. I can only conclude they are in denial. I also noted some posts that said the Raps fans are tired of their team being treated as a dumping ground in the past and they want payback for that, I can only assume, in any Siakam trade.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I can try and explain it, just not rationally......:er: 🤓.

And I know we've been homers on our players but the circumstances, as saffron laid out, do not measure up to a package favorable to TOR.  I think they need to step back, separate from their allegiances, and look at the facts of the situation.  Their board is largely, to put it kindly, unrealistic. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I would like to make a correction....the most money Siakam can get from the Hawks or any other team with an extension to his existing contract or a new deal next season is a salary starting at 30% of the projected salary cap next season: so in the range of  $42 - $44 million if the cap jumps it's maximum 10%. 

I think I may have said $51 million to start.

• Thanks 1

Siakam = Hunter.  This is all I want to offer.  To me, this is a good deal for both teams.

Siakam = Half the Hawk team.  This is what the Raptor fans want.  

Siakam = Tremendious $$$ payroll hit.  Neither team wants this.  

Siakam is not worth what they want and he's not worth the $$$ payroll that he will absorb.  

Siakam = No Deal!!  Go shopping elsewhere....

:smug:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Can someone rationally explain why the Dan's still think they're getting AJ, Bufkin, plus a 1st for a rental of Siakim?

What rational basis is there for that belief still? 

Pretty sure their bodies don’t get enough sunlight throughout the year in order to think rationally. Something about being closer to poles.

They are obsessed with demanding Griffin, Bufkin, Picks, etc when in reality the Matthew twins is the appropriate return

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jody23 said:

Scratching my head at the Hawks now.  Why are they still talking to Toronto?  They knew some time ago that they weren't interested in making a "deal", but rather a "fleece".  This will just amount to wasted time and possibly wasted opportunities elsewhere.

Got time to waste until September, maybe? I wish they could go ahead and announce the trade already . Still some quality FA's left.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, GameTime said:

Got time to waste until September, maybe? I wish they could go ahead and announce the trade already . Still some quality FA's left.

Perhaps.  If they've got some traction with a deal for Towns, then they should be focusing on trying to solidfy that even if they've got to wait until September imo.  Side note, I know the Hawks officially announced the trade for Patty Mills, but did anyone in the front office say anything about him joining the team yet?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Perhaps.  If they've got some traction with a deal for Towns, then they should be focusing on trying to solidfy that even if they've got to wait until September imo.  Side note, I know the Hawks officially announced the trade for Patty Mills, but did anyone in the front office say anything about him joining the team yet?

Minny isn't trading Towns. They are going to give the Gobert/Towns pairing one more year at least. I'll make an avatar bet with anyone that Towns remains with Minny at least through 23-24 season. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Minny isn't trading Towns. They are going to give the Gobert/Towns pairing one more year at least. I'll make an avatar bet with anyone that Towns remains with Minny at least through 23-24 season. 

Maybe naivety of the new owners may lead them down that road.   But I think the thing that is different is the Apron.   With three massive contracts on the books, one that is not movable and the other they don't want to move, they may be forced to trade Towns.  These are no longer the days where you can spend what you want with no penalty.   There's a hard cap in place.  With teeth.

But.. it's a toss up.   Maybe the new owners have deep pockets and don't mind being in hell for the next few years.   Or maybe they have a smart GM who will advise that they sell now.  I dunno but we shall see. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thecampster said:

I've said it before. We all argue with each other on player value, performance but the collective knowledge/wisdom on this board is light years ahead of the typical NBA fan board where no understanding of cap/LT implication exist. Typical board has 1, maybe 2 guys capable of giving some level of player evaluation, no one who truly understands the CBA and a whole slew who post while plastered.  This isn't that board (last qualification excluded).

Challenge accepted