• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I agree with all that except I'd hang on to Bogi unless we get a lot back and honestly i'd hang on to OO unless we get a lot back.  I think he can be a good starter next to JJ which we didn't get to see much of. 

I'd trade Murray though.  I just don't see the point of Murray especially when you got Kobe waiting in the wings.  

I’m ok with that too.. it better be for a good reason to hang on those guys.

Bogi might be the most valuable trade chip of all of them though. Smh

JJ Trae and DJ are the best players we have and worth holding onto.. obviously DJ is the valuable one in trades. I would not trade Trae.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

My hopes for this offseason:

• We need to find the best offer available for Hunter and trade him. 
    • Play JJ at SF for minutes next season and see how he does.  IMO he can play as a big wing.
  • Extend Bey on a team friendly contract as a good bench piece.  He's not championship starting talent but he's a championship bench player imo
  • Trade CC, salary dump if necessary, take best offer available
  • Trade AJ, package him with Clint if needed, get guys on the roster who want to play
  • And most importantly, trade either DJ or Trae
    • $68M dual PG back court just isn't it
    • Hopefully get back talent at PF as that's our biggest gap in the rotation.  Or SF if we do move from Hunter

We gotta fix the roster fit this year and keep developing guys.  I want to see Kobe get more minutes, I want to see JJ play some SF minutes, I want to see OO starting at center and playing some PF minutes.  We need guys who can play 2-3 positions offensively and defensively.  We need better POA defense and we need size on the bench.  Obviously we can only make moves that are available but I'd be happy with any combination of the above. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrell said:

I cant believe y'all are actually talking about the sorry arse Hawks right now..lol

This was One of the most disappointing Hawks teams in recent memory.. 

And I don't see it getting much better next season unfortunately,  unless major changes are made.....

Just trading Murray for a better "fit" and the 10th pick isn't gonna get us in the top tier of the East

Hope Im wrong...

Maybe Onsi Saleh (the new Schlenk) can save the day....

Indeed, we continue to discuss the Hawks, despite the disappointments, because they are our team. However, participation in this conversation is not obligatory.

Moreover, I believe that a solid plan must be established, and this time, it will require taking some risks.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

You're acting like we can't do anything but keep our own players.  

But it's not even about just that though. It's what we didn't do after the decision to move on from JC was made. There wasn't a serious attempt to add talent. 

Just to recap:

1. traded JC for Gay and 2nd, then traded Gay for Patty Mills $6.5 mil (he replaced AHol)

2. Drafted #15 Kobe $4 mil

3. Signed Wes as a FA $2.2 mil

We had the unguaranteed contracts of Garrison and Bruno totalling $4.5 million, which we later guaranteed.

That was the extent of our offseason moves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

But it's not even about just that though. It's what we didn't do after the decision to move on from JC was made. There wasn't a serious attempt to add talent. 

Just to recap:

1. traded JC for Gay and 2nd, then traded Gay for Patty Mills $6.5 mil (he replaced AHol)

2. Drafted #15 Kobe $4 mil

3. Signed Wes as a FA $2.2 mil

We had the unguaranteed contracts of Garrison and Bruno totalling $4.5 million, which we later guaranteed.

That was the extent of our offseason moves.

How can you say there weren't serious attempts when we were heavily rumored in the only available all-star level talent (Siakam) this summer?  Not to mention the very real talks reported by Sothron and Supes about us targeting Karl Anthony Towns.  How much more serious can you get?  My understanding is that the front office was working the phones to bring in a star player and that was their #1 goal this season.  You guys act like we're the Charlotte Hornets with this rhetoric lmao

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I want to see Kobe get more minutes, I want to see JJ play some SF minutes, I want to see OO starting at center and playing some PF minutes.  

These items are entirely within our control and were all items on my wish list for the 2023-24 season.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

How can you say there weren't serious attempts when we were heavily rumored in the only available all-star level talent (Siakam) this summer?  Not to mention the very real talks reported by Sothron and Supes about us targeting Karl Anthony Towns.  How much more serious can you get?  My understanding is that the front office was working the phones to bring in a star player and that was their #1 goal this season.  You guys act like we're the Charlotte Hornets with this rhetoric lmao

We went for some low % home run trades but the rest of the offseason was that of a very unserious team and those goals were mutually independent.  We were not prohibited from signing better low $ bench players than Mills, Wes, etc. by our pursuit of KAT or Siakam.  Even with some of our bench players improving late in the year, our bench was abysmal this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

They (@Vol4ever ) also said Ressler wasn't open to paying Siakam that's why the deal ultimately fell thru (at the TDL).....so as always, money.

So big name hunting, that falls thru.....so you do nothing. Cool

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

We went for some low % home run trades but the rest of the offseason was that of a very unserious team and those goals were mutually independent.  We were not prohibited from signing better low $ bench players than Mills, Wes, etc. by our pursuit of KAT or Siakam.  Even with some of our bench players improving late in the year, our bench was abysmal this year.

Which bench players could we have signed? Who wanted to play here on our bench and why didn't it work out?

• Premium Member

As long as there remains an overriding perception that the Hawks first priority is to remain under the Luxury Tax, this is our lot in life - shuffling the deck chairs while robbing Peter to pay Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Which bench players could we have signed? Who wanted to play here on our bench and why didn't it work out?

Hey, if you are content with guys who contribute only a little bit more to the team than you and I did then good on you.  You are never going to be disappointed with a 0.0 WS season like Patty Mills delivered if your expectations are that low.  We had the space to sign any free agent who signed a minimum contract for double that amount so I don't really care who wanted to come here as most guys will take the money over how much they happen to love the night life in one city versus another and I'm more focused on how badly we utilized the levers we could pull to give the team meaningful depth in light of the big 5 red flags of injury risk coming into the season:  Bogi, AJ, JJ, OO and Hunter.  Seems like other teams can do much better than what we did.  I'd like to see that from my team more along the lines of the valuable relatively low dollar moves that Danny Ferry made.  (Example:  DMC 2 years, $5M.  Feel free to adjust that to $8M or something.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

In a weak draft like this Matt Ishiba would jump at that

It would probably have to be Clint for Nurkic and the 22nd pick.  I think they could go for it.  Clint is better than Nurkic now, and they don't want to add anyone in this draft.  In hindsight, we should have taken Dallas's offer of Davis Bertrans and the 10th pick instead of trying to hold out for Josh Green.  

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

LA fired Darvin Ham.  Quin should bring him back to Atlanta as an assistant.

Shhhhhiiiiiii. 
Hawks probably should be looking to renegotiate an improved deal to keep Quin from bouncing to LA, with Trae following him. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, warcore said:

I've noticed this as well. I was one that was on board for trading whatever MIN wanted to move up to #1 to draft Edwards. I was disappointed in the posters that said trading Huerter/JC/#6 is too much because Edwards won't be better than either of them. 

People get so attached to the current players. 

While I never agreed with that, it's hard to say who is gonna be who when a player is as raw as Ant was then. Look at Cam, he is still as raw as he was then whereas Ant is a superstar now. That said, Ant was always a safer bet than Cam because his motor, drive, and mindset was massively superior 

• Like 2