• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Aside from what Trae may want or asked for...Do you think that ownership and front office has done the best possible job in putting a product on the floor, in totality, that's competitive to be top 6 in the East (I added this since they kept saying to avoid the playin this year) based on all of their available resources?

A simple Yes or No please.

Do you think Trae is a diva and acting completely entitled after we gave him the keys to the city, marketed him heavily propping up his image and brand, ended the tank early for him, aggressively put together a roster that made the ECF, and gave him DJ Murray at his request?

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Do you think Trae is a diva and acting completely entitled after we gave him the keys to the city, marketed him heavily propping up his image and brand, ended the tank early for him, aggressively put together a roster that made the ECF, and gave him DJ Murray at his request?

No.

10 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

image.png

This comment absolves Trae of any responsibility.  But anyone that understands power dynamics and nuance understands he has influence and should be at least partially accountable.  If Trae wants to leave as soon as things get tough, imo he should just leave.  I'd rather not have a diva/quitter on the team eroding the lock room culture.

Huh? 🤔 Dude literally said he wants to win a championship in Atlanta! When did he want to leave? I’m confused.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Not sure where you got that.   It was pretty clear what Trae said.  He's not interested in being on a rebuilding team and waiting 2-4 years to be competitive.  Not sure how that is bad or any different than every other really good player in this league.  

Org has a decision to make.  Are we actually going to field a playoff cailibre roster or tear it down.  

I don't even think the choice is limited to those two.  I think it boils down to this.  Is there a pathway available that will make this a championship roster in the next two years, or is the front office willing to be patient with some of the youth on this roster and see how it blossoms?  Even if they trade Trae, they aren't going to tear the roster down because they do have youth with upside currently on the roster.  The pathway for Landry has to make sense both short term and long term, IMO.  Can he get a Herb Jones or a Trey Murphy in a deal for DJM?  Can he get Brooklyn to move Cam Johnson after he had a rough season for DeAndre Hunter?  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

image.png

This comment absolves Trae of any responsibility.  But anyone that understands power dynamics and nuance understands he has influence and should be at least partially accountable.  If Trae wants to leave as soon as things get tough, imo he should just leave.  I'd rather not have a diva/quitter on the team eroding the lock room culture.

Oh Jeffe, you're either just saying things or your projecting.  Cmon, man. 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

If ownership actually put as much energy and effort into the Hawks winning as they do in finding ways to operate on the cheap, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  If only they worked as hard as Trae does on the floor to help this team win.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So, one potential player that I'd be targeting if I were the Hawks is Isaac Okoro.  I wonder what a sign and trade for him would look like from the Hawks standpoint.

I've got a list of guys that I feel like, if we could swing trades and get 2 or 3 of them, then we can push to be a top four seed in the East this year.  That list includes Herb Jones, Trey Murphy, Isaac Okoro, Cam Johnson, Caleb Martin, and maybe Austin Reaves.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Not sure where you got that.   It was pretty clear what Trae said.  He's not interested in being on a rebuilding team and waiting 2-4 years to be competitive.  Not sure how that is bad or any different than every other really good player in this league.  

Org has a decision to make.  Are we actually going to field a playoff cailibre roster or tear it down.  

To be devil's advocate, you could take the position that (a) Trae has not been on a competitive team for 3 years now and (b) given the expanded playoff format, just being a playoff team in and of itself is not a significant accomplishment, particularly in the East for the past few years.

To me the real question is whether the current roster has the right talent and composition to be a contender.  My answer would be no, in large measure due to the defensive shortcoming, lack of size or perennial injury risks of a handful of rotation players (chiefly Hunter, OO, Bogi and JJ).

Others can feel free to disagree but I do not see how the team can solve its defensive/size issues without trading DJM (I don't think they would trade Trae). Such a trade may involve a step back in order to take two steps forward.  

4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

No. They haven’t and won’t entertain it. That’s what I heard.

Maybe they should entertain it or just look at it.

Currently, there is no straightforward solution for improvement. Ultimately, the question becomes, "What kind of team do the Atlanta Hawks aspire to be?" If their goal isn't to become a championship team, then they ought to consider trading Trae to a team that will pursue that goal on his behalf.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

If ownership actually put as much energy and effort into the Hawks winning as they do in finding ways to operate on the cheap, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  If only they worked as hard as Trae does on the floor to help this team win.

You guys realize the NBA is a business, right? With the exception of just 1-2 owners, all of them are here to make money. The faster everyone here moves from denial to acceptance on this, the quicker we'll be able to have productive conversations around ways to move forward that don't include going into the tax for John f*cking Collins or throwing a tax bag at Matisse 5 ppg Thybulle

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, one potential player that I'd be targeting if I were the Hawks is Isaac Okoro.  I wonder what a sign and trade for him would look like from the Hawks standpoint.

I've got a list of guys that I feel like, if we could swing trades and get 2 or 3 of them, then we can push to be a top four seed in the East this year.  That list includes Herb Jones, Trey Murphy, Isaac Okoro, Cam Johnson, Caleb Martin, and maybe Austin Reaves.  

Love these suggestions -- I think people here underrate Reaves and how much Trae would elevate him.  He puts a lot more pressure on the defense than DJ and would probably open up CnS opportunities for Trae.  Herb Jones is the golden goose of this list of course, but savvy moves around the edges to get better roster fit could go a long way next year.  Look at these playoffs right now -- just getting a top 6 seed is enough to give us a chance if we have a roster that fits and has chemistry.

2 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Maybe they should entertain it or just look at it.

Currently, there is no straightforward solution for improvement. Ultimately, the question becomes, "What kind of team do the Atlanta Hawks aspire to be?" If their goal isn't to become a championship team, then they ought to consider trading Trae to a team that will pursue that goal on his behalf.

I’m mad that whenever we have a superstar, twice! Both times our front office have been less than competent. Hoping they can recover here. This summer is vital for the entire front office. We don’t put together a MUCH improved and BALANCED roster, then we are screwed. History tends to repeat itself but I’m hoping it doesn’t.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

There isn't a single one of the top 6 teams in the east who have done less than the Hawks to improve the last three years.

Heat, Nets, Raptors

• Confused 6

16 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m mad that whenever we have a superstar, twice! Both times our front office have been less than competent. Hoping they can recover here. This summer is vital for the entire front office. We don’t put together a MUCH improved and BALANCED roster, then we are screwed. History tends to repeat itself but I’m hoping it doesn’t.

b348f0ed63e012af15fb22534fa40201.gif

I agree with that sentiment; it seems we never have ownership truly committed to winning, but rather to cutting costs or internal disputes over a player. I wish we had an owner like Arthur Blank, who is known for his dedication to his teams and enhancing fan experiences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Love these suggestions -- I think people here underrate Reaves and how much Trae would elevate him.  He puts a lot more pressure on the defense than DJ and would probably open up CnS opportunities for Trae.  Herb Jones is the golden goose of this list of course, but savvy moves around the edges to get better roster fit could go a long way next year.  Look at these playoffs right now -- just getting a top 6 seed is enough to give us a chance if we have a roster that fits and has chemistry.

I prefer Trey Murphy to Herb Jones. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Aside from what Trae may want or asked for...Do you think that ownership and front office have done the best possible job in putting a product on the floor, in totality, that's competitive to be top 6 in the East (I added this since they kept saying to avoid the playin this year) based on all of their available resources?

YES! 

Ownership wants to make money with the Hawks.  What better way to make money than having a winning product?  How much did we miss being in the top six?  Not a lot.  Injuries played a big part in the failure.

Decisions made years ago still linger today.  Rome wasn't made in a day.  Neither was the current Hawk team.  What is done this summer will make or break the future of this team.  Not just one season.  Putting the product on the floor includes the Head coach and all his assistants.  Facilities for the use of all come into play.  We're great here.  G League now must be considered.  Hawks have taken advantage of this.  

Finally, none of the players in the NBA are robots.  Some Hawks, I'm sure, didn't turn out like the brain thrust thought that they would.  Some were better and some didn't live up to their projected ability.  Could they have done better?  Every NBA team could answer this with a big yes.  

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule