• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

image.thumb.png.39b50c0a8b09b7f42b41eec91e845434.png

Holds make up 24 million of the cap, the 10th pick (projected) makes up another 5+ million.

Outside of Capela, I would say all of our top 6 players are paid fairly.  The issue being, of course, you really need team friendly deals to win.  And JJ only has one more year on his rookie deal and he'll be paid what he's worth too.  Our short success with tons of guys on rookie deals in '21 is so similar to the situation the Grizzlies found themselves in as soon as Ja's supermax kicked in, and they had to pay Bane, JJJ...  Then their depth was completely gutted and couldn't afford to retain guys like Tyus/Brooks, who were key contributors

15 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Outside of Capela, I would say all of our top 6 players are paid fairly.  The issue being, of course, you really need team friendly deals to win.  And JJ only has one more year on his rookie deal and he'll be paid what he's worth too.  Our short success with tons of guys on rookie deals in '21 is so similar to the situation the Grizzlies found themselves in as soon as Ja's supermax kicked in, and they had to pay Bane, JJJ...  Then their depth was completely gutted and couldn't afford to retain guys like Tyus/Brooks, who were key contributors

We should be approaching JJ now to get him to sign a team friendly deal.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

image.thumb.png.39b50c0a8b09b7f42b41eec91e845434.png

Holds make up 24 million of the cap, the 10th pick (projected) makes up another 5+ million.

We got a lot of payroll committed.  Only 3 teams have more than us going into 2025-2026.  Jalen needs to get paid as well.  Also Bey?

If trading Murray isn't the answer, who is Capela, Dre, or Bogi gonna bring back in a trade?  People seem to expect guys like Josh Hart.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

We got a lot of payroll committed.  Only 3 teams have more than us going into 2025-2026.  Jalen needs to get paid as well.  Also Bey?

If trading Murray isn't the answer, who is Capela, Dre, or Bogi gonna bring back in a trade?  People seem to expect guys like Josh Hart.

I don't think we can afford Bey given that he likely won't play meaningful minutes next season.

I think Trae or Murray has to be traded for real value.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think we can afford Bey given that he likely won't play meaningful minutes next season.

I think Trae or Murray has to be traded for real value.  

Before the injury, I thought Bey was a possibility to accept to QO since his shooting (one of his greatest skills) was off this year and he might bet on himself to rebound.  Now, I think the QO might be too much for a guy who should be a bench rotation piece, but will only play 3 months or so of the season at best.  Problem is the Hawks gave up a lot of draft capital (even if they were all 2nds) for him and I think Quinn likes him a lot.  I like Bey, but I worry we'll retain him at the cost of someone who brings more to the table. 

The one bright side to him missing time next year is it might force the team to play some of the younger guys a little to help see what we have there. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Again, doesn't need to be only one $20 mil players.

Example, THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE: LAC is in LT hell. PJ Tucker has a 1 year $11 mil contract they might want to move since he's not in their rotation, Hawks take him plus LAC sends us 2024 2nd #46 and a future 2nd. LAC gets savings and an $11 mil TPE, Hawks get some toughness and vet in the front court. Hawks have $12 mil of the TPE left.

Target teams that are close to the 1st Apron and/or close to or over the 2nd Apron and looking for savings, or have FAs they can't/won't resign...SnT so they get a TPE and fake second.

I missed that the team that trades a player to us would get a TPE so that makes a little more sense.  I also agree that teams in financial hell are more likely to be willing to trade a useful player for not much in return.  

In the J Allen for Hunter example, how does that use the TPE?  They have essentially the same salary.  Is it just doing two separate transactions?  The first is Allen into the JC TPE and then we separately trade Hunter into the newly created Allen TPE?  If so, what's the point?  Why not just trade player for player?  

12 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Again, doesn't need to be only one $20 mil players.

Example, THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE: LAC is in LT hell. PJ Tucker has a 1 year $11 mil contract they might want to move since he's not in their rotation, Hawks take him plus LAC sends us 2024 2nd #46 and a future 2nd. LAC gets savings and an $11 mil TPE, Hawks get some toughness and vet in the front court. Hawks have $12 mil of the TPE left.

Target teams that are close to the 1st Apron and/or close to or over the 2nd Apron and looking for savings, or have FAs they can't/won't resign...SnT so they get a TPE and fake second.

If we can duck the LT, which you know we will do, I think PJ Tucker could be a sneaky pickup.  He's obviously at the end of his career and not the shut down defender he once was, but he's the archetype of what we're missing.  Gritty defender that can hit a 3.  His shot profile is almost 100% 3PA.  He also doesn't need to be involved offensively to make an impact on the game. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I missed that the team that trades a player to us would get a TPE so that makes a little more sense.  I also agree that teams in financial hell are more likely to be willing to trade a useful player for not much in return.  

In the J Allen for Hunter example, how does that use the TPE?  They have essentially the same salary.  Is it just doing two separate transactions?  The first is Allen into the JC TPE and then we separately trade Hunter into the newly created Allen TPE?  If so, what's the point?  Why not just trade player for player?  

You can and in such a trade that's most likely how lt will be presented.

But for accounting the TPE can be so a team has an option to have 'money' they can use for other trades or just let it expire in a year.

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

The entire team and FO loves Bey. I keep trying to tell ya'll but Tony knows he's under fire with the base, he's willing to pay the LT and considering the 2nd apron for just this season only. He's okay with the LT for a couple of years especially with the new TV contract coming

I've been fooled into believing that for the past few seasons.

I'll just :beach:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The entire team and FO loves Bey. I keep trying to tell ya'll but Tony knows he's under fire with the base, he's willing to pay the LT and considering the 2nd apron for just this season only. He's okay with the LT for a couple of years especially with the new TV contract coming

I'm a big fan of Bey too.  I think his defensive shortcomings were overblown.  Once he, and everyone else, locked into the defensive scheme he was ok.  He works his ass off on both ends and is a strong finisher.  

I'm bummed though because i'm assuming he won't be ready for the start of the season so don't know what that means for his future here. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

There's only so much time left in this crazy world ....

So just trade me Herb, so jus' trade me Herb ...

Eggsperts killin Trae, they jus' don't understand (what's tha master plan)

So just trade me Herb, so jus' trade me Herb....

('Kast fans get it.) 

• Haha 3