• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

54 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I agree, drop coverage and PnR is pretty inconclusive, we can't know how good he'll be at either because he's pretty much just been doing what he was told, doesn't look good by NBA standards, but who knows, it could improve a lot in a different scheme and with different coaching.

Post up is moot, no one cares about posting up anymore, it's hardly part of the game.

And finishing around the rim, he's meh. He was not efficient last year and that was playing against players that he's got at least 3 inches on every night. You guys who are up in arms about Clint and his missed bunnies are not going to be thrilled if Sarr is giving us those 26mpg next season. Yes he shows touch at times, but for every smooth looking finish he's got some ridiculous clangers. Just watch the full tape I posted. 

I still maintain it is a high ceiling low floor pick. Sarr is going to need to develop A LOT to become a quality starter for any team. Not saying he won't or can't, or that he's the wrong pick, but hope peple temper their expectations on his impact next year.

I don't want to claim to speak for most, but I don't see many saying he's going to come out offensively like gang busters.  I think most want his defense, which as a rookie can not be counted on, but that's where his value lies. 

6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I also feel like the excitement regarding is more about him being the #1, than his actual projection. Sarr wouldn't even go top 5 in most drafts. 

He absolutely would go top 5 in most drafts.  The excitement on my end is about his defensive potential and potential to have some offensive game. He's 7'1" which is something we haven't had in some time.  His medium outcome is the type of player we've been wanting to pair with Trae.  Trae plays through his big men. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Marvin24Williams said:

I'm still taking Sarr cause at this point I'm go big or go home. It's exciting we got the 1st pick but man is it dampened by the fact that the top prospects of this class just seem so.... lackluster. Obviously I could be wrong since none of these guys have played a game yet but man, just watching the tape on them.... it's just hard to see any sort of legit superstardom coming from any of the top guys

They also claimed the Edwards draft was lackluster.  That's what happens after you have a generational pick in Wemby.  They generally don't hype up the next draft unless there is someone generational.  There are going to be some really good players that come out of this draft.  A few may turn into superstars.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I also feel like the excitement regarding is more about him being the #1, than his actual projection. Sarr wouldn't even go top 5 in most drafts. 

apparently neither is anyone else in this draft - most won't even go top in them top 10.

26 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Explain or you can suck my ...

Well you advise us to do something.. for example, be objective, 2 hours later you dive deep into the most subjective load of horse 🐎 manure ever known to man 🧍‍♂️.

That’s it really.

Quick hands and feet!  Where have we heard this before about a very tall player?  Oh, yes.  M. Gueye!  Imagine having two big men as Hawks!  Stirs up the nerves, doesn't it!  

:smug:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If he can be to the defense what Trae is to the offense - I think we are on the right path.

That's one of one. Basically Wemby. Man, if your expectations of him is Wemby, he's gonna flop in a massive extremity. 

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If he can be to the defense what Trae is to the offense - I think we are on the right path.

I think even that expectation is a little optimistic. He plays smaller than he is, I wouldn't call him a dominating presence defensively even at the NBL level, despite towering over most of the players he was going up against (other NBL backup bigs) he wasn't a great rebounder and doesn't seem to establish a very strong presence in the paint at either end. 

• Premium Member
Just now, Atlantaholic said:

I think even that expectation is a little optimistic. He plays smaller than he is, I wouldn't call him a dominating presence defensively even at the NBL level, despite towering over most of the players he was going up against (other NBL backup bigs) he wasn't a great rebounder and doesn't seem to establish a very strong presence in the paint at either end. 

see my response prior to your post.  I said the same thing about Cam and Hunter on the defensive side of the ball - it just never materialized.  I'm not saying be DPOY - but someone to be the guy for our team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Marvin24Williams said:

Everyone has their "HELL NO" pick. This guy is mine lol

I mean, he had a better year in a better league than Sarr. He's kind of redundant to JJ but outside of that if you love Sarr you can't hate Risacher, he's much more polished. 

21 minutes ago, marco102 said:

They also claimed the Edwards draft was lackluster.  That's what happens after you have a generational pick in Wemby.  They generally don't hype up the next draft unless there is someone generational.  There are going to be some really good players that come out of this draft.  A few may turn into superstars.  

Edwards is so much better than anyone in this class. Even if he was raw and ass, his metrics was off the charts. 

LeMelo fit the prototype of someone who can score, pass, and rebound and he showed it in Australia. Shooting was the question for Ball but he showed just enough upside that the downside wasn't that bad.

https://tankathon.com/players/lamelo-ball

Wiseman was a reach and I said it at the time. 

Hali was my #4 prospect. 

The only player I missed on in that class was Obi Toppin who was my #1 prospect. I missed on him just due to not seeing him against P5 comp. That was my biggest mistake and he didn't play in the NBA Combine so their was no way I could have gotten my answer without working for a NBA organization 

Sarr athlete metrics are nice but nothing overwhelming and his stats in Australia is meh. 

https://tankathon.com/players/alexandre-sarr

Edwards was basically John Wall as a prospect. An athlete juggernaut with size and length. Even if he sucked and was raw, his upside was off the charts. 

Edited by NBASupes

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So are you saying Trae is one of one on offense?  Cool! 😎

I made no reference to Wemby or any other player for that matter.

I'm simply pointing out that we have ZERO defensive identity on this team - if he can be the lynchpin that jumpstarts that process for this team, not relative to any other player, BUT FOR THIS TEAM - it's going in the right direction.

Trae is an offensive juggernaut. I do believe he's star on that end and that weighs more than even prime KG on defense. Offense matters too much. If you suck at it, you will be a liability regardless of your defense. 

We clearly have some defensive identity. Look at the games without Trae. With Trae, how much can Sarr help on defense. He sucks at the shit Trae needs the most which is drop coverage and having actual size. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trae is an offensive juggernaut. I do believe he's star on that end and that weighs more than even prime KG on defense. Offense matters too much. If you suck at it, you will be a liability regardless of your defense. 

We clearly have some defensive identity. Look at the games without Trae. With Trae, how much can Sarr help on defense. He sucks at the shit Trae needs the most which is drop coverage and having actual size. 

What is your best case scenario with sarr?

Are there any redeemable qualities for you?