I hope the Siakam deal fails to go through.

givemesome1ce1

Let's see if I have this correct.  Atlanta Hawks starting five for 2023/24:

PG- Young

SG- Murray

SF- Gueye

PF- Siakam

C - OO

Wow!  This is a fantastic starting five for the upcoming season!

Atlanta bench:

The starting five for their planned G League team will be the 2nd string.  All the other former Hawks will be playing in Canada this season!

:peanut-butter-jelly-time:

• Haha 2

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

PG- Young

SG- Murray

SF- Gueye

PF- Siakam

C - OO

Atlanta bench:

The starting five for their planned G League team will be the 2nd string.  All the other former Hawks will be playing in Canada this season!

I think there is a 0% chance of Gueye starting when the season tips (regardless of whether we trade for Siakam or anyone else).  I am very excited to see him against NBA competition at some point.  He definitely exceeded my expectations in SL and I loved how smooth his perimeter shot looked.  Will be very interested to see if the SL play translates into real games.  (I'm not expecting that anytime soon unless we really cut out a lot of depth by trade).

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So if we stand pat, what are we now?

Are we still a .500 team?

Are we a 50 win team?

Are we top 4 in the East?

What is your assessment of the Hawks if we make no more moves?

Develop the fing talent on the team...this ain't rocket science!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

PG- Young

SG- Murray

SF- Gueye

PF- Siakam

C - OO

Atlanta bench:

Bogi would start.  

27 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Give me an expectation of the record.

That way when people complain about our record, I can respond with "this is just a developmental season".

No expectations should be placed on this squad next season.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Give me an expectation of the record.

That way when people complain about our record, I can respond with "this is just a developmental season".

No expectations should be placed on this squad next season.

It depends on how well Trae and Murray play this upcoming season. If they are both all stars then 50 wins should be easy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

If we take this approach, is everyone okay with our championship window being delayed 4-5 years while still paying near and eventually above the tax?

This isn’t the 2018 Hawks where we can develop talent while we free up money to add around a young core.

We are financially committed to a nucleus that is a play-in team.

As one veteran contract falls off, its time to pay another young player. (Bey-Bogi-Capela in consecutive years). If we lose a veteran for nothing to avoid the tax, are we any better just  by promoting the young player behind him?

The more we lean in to youth, the further we get from a title. Trae/Murray will get older but the supporting cast gets younger/cheaper.

As much as we want every young player to work out it just isn’t likely.

It is just as possible that we trade away a hidden gem as it is that they lose value by keeping them around.

Cam/JC went for pennies on the dollar because we believed in them too long.

Now we are happy to trade Dre when he was just a rising star 2 seasons ago.

Truth pill, the same will likely happen to our favorite youngsters. Most stars show it by year 3. We can wait to see how AJ and JJ pan out but other teams are watching too. Their trade value is highest now and only gets lower if they don’t breakout. 

The alternative is to swap potential for a proven commodity. Spend the same money on 1 legit star vs the eventual price to resign 2-3 prospects. Move closer to the championship window and maximize the timing of Trae/DJ contracts. 

Its all a guessing game. But if we stand  pat, we are looking at 2 more years of underachieving and then hoping to move some of these same pieces to get better, but the return will not be as good as it is now.

The least likely scenario is that we find out that one of AJ/JJ/OO happens to be that missing breakout piece that makes us a contender.  The most likely scenario is that they continue to develop enough to garner a 20 mil contract each to extend, and then we will be trying to give them away in a trade.

We are living this formula as we speak. Why delay the inevitable?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

It depends on how well Trae and Murray play this upcoming season. If they are both all stars then 50 win should be easy.

So if we can win 50 games if Trae and Murray play like All-Stars with the kids . . . what would our record/expectations be if we add Siakam, and Trae and Murray still play like All-Stars?

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

12 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

If we take this approach, is everyone okay with our championship window being delayed 4-5 years while still paying near and eventually above the tax?

This isn’t the 2018 Hawks where we can develop talent while we free up money to add around a young core.

As one veteran contract falls off, its time to pay another young player. (Bey-Bogi-Capela in consecutive years). If we lose a veteran for nothing to avoid the tax, are we any better just  by promoting the young player behind him?

The more we lean in to youth, the further we get from a title. Trae/Murray will get older but the supporting cast gets younger/cheaper.

It is just as possible that we trade away a hidden gem as it is that they lose value by keeping them around.

Truth pill, the same will likely happen to our favorite youngsters. Most stars show it by year 3. We can wait to see how AJ and JJ pan out but other teams are watching too. Their trade value is highest now and only gets lower if they don’t breakout. 

The alternative is to swap potential for a proven commodity. Spend the same money on 1 legit star vs the eventual price to resign 2-3 prospects. Move closer to the championship window and maximize the timing of Trae/DJ contracts. 

Its all a guessing game. But if we stand  pat, we are looking at 2 more years of underachieving and then hoping to move some of these same pieces to get better, but the return will not be as good as it is now.

The least likely scenario is that we find out that one of AJ/JJ/OO happens to be that missing breakout piece that makes us a contender.  The most likely scenario is that they continue to develop enough to garner a 20 mil contract each to extend, and then we will be trying to give them away in a trade.

Right On All Right GIF - Right On All Right Perfect ...

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So if we stand pat, what are we now?

Are we still a .500 team?

Are we a 50 win team?

Are we top 4 in the East?

What is your assessment of the Hawks if we make no more moves?

I like 50+ wins and probably top 4 in the East.

Too many fans are disregarding the addition of Quin.  We have young guys with loads of potential.... Quin is the keymaker.   He only has to unlock ONE GUY... We're willing to spend top dollar and lots of player stash for a player that's is good-great but not great.   Siakam is not a high level defender.   Siakam doesn't have the shooting chops to be a scoring master.   He's a guy who has taken advantage of his position in Toronto with Nurse's coaching and he's good but not great. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Bonkers said:

If you look throughout the history of the Hawks they have very bad luck with trades. If u traded JJ for Overhyped Siakam I guarantee u JJ is gonna blossom and the Hawks will once again look stupid with egg on their faces

I assume if we don't do the deal by this way of thinking then JJ won't blossom and Siakam will be All-NBA again and the Hawks will look stupid for having held up a deal for him over JJ?  This sounds like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation by your way of thinking which doesn't really seem to make one decision right over the other. 

1 minute ago, Bonkers said:

If you look throughout the history of the Hawks they have very bad luck with trades. If u traded JJ for Overhyped Siakam I guarantee u JJ is gonna blossom and the Hawks will once again look stupid with egg on their faces

Traded for Nique

Traded for Mookie

Traded for Dikembe

Traded for Smitty

Traded for Joe Johnson

Traded for Paul Millsap

The real question is, who have we drafted that has developed into a player the caliber of these six guys?  

Trae, Horford . . . who else?

8 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

You totally get it!  Not to mention Siakam, Trae, and DJM will have trade value if we need to flip one of them into other assets.  But you got the case fully covered. We have options to improve and adjust with these guys, remaining draft capital, and remaining rookie contracts.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Huh.. did you see that thread about trades vs our own drafts vs free agent signings? This take makes no sense

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Traded for Nique

Traded for Mookie

Traded for Dikembe

Traded for Smitty

Traded for Joe Johnson

Traded for Paul Millsap

The real question is, who have we drafted that has developed into a player the caliber of these six guys?  

Trae, Horford . . . who else?

Pau Gasol and Luka Doncic would be two for the Atlanta era.   (Not counting picks we traded where guys like Amare Stoudamire were on the board.)

I actually think we have a much better track record with trades overall than we do with drafting.  Babcock made some good trades among his litany of horrible draft picks.

(Unless I am misremembering we didn't actually trade for Deke.  We traded to create space to sign Deke as a FA.  I might be remembering wrong though.)