• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Injury Thread

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

I would be interested to know how many of those Grizzlies minutes are guys not being able to play and how many are the fact that they saw this was a lost season and shut people down to tank.  No argument that they have had a lot of missed time.  I just suspect they have also erred on the side of caution with their players (to be generous).

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 8:12 PM, Vol4ever said:

Good grief^^^

Hopefully he won’t need surgery. If it’s a minor sprain they will allow it to heal on its own which is exponentially a much shorter recovery time.

He isn’t throwing 90 mph pitches for a living so it’s not a career threatening injury situation that has to be managed with sensitivity like in baseball. It being his right/shooting arm is the only concern but again, stress/usage shooting a basketball is starkly different than what pitcher’s arms are put through.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 11:54 AM, AHF said:

I would be interested to know how many of those Grizzlies minutes are guys not being able to play and how many are the fact that they saw this was a lost season and shut people down to tank.  No argument that they have had a lot of missed time.  I just suspect they have also erred on the side of caution with their players (to be generous).

If I understand correctly, teams can no longer not play guys for non injury related reasons. I'm not sure how the enforcement works though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

If I understand correctly, teams can no longer not play guys for non injury related reasons. I'm not sure how the enforcement works though. 

Then they will not play due to injuries.  Can you prove that any NBA player is not injured at any time??

If I say my back hurts, it hurts!  Prove to me that it doesn't..

:smug:

• Like 2

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Then they will not play due to injuries.  Can you prove that any NBA player is not injured at any time??

If I say my back hurts, it hurts!  Prove to me that it doesn't..

:smug:

Agree, GM!  Big gap between the letter of the law and how things actually play out.  

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agree, GM!  Big gap between the letter of the law and how things actually play out.  

The league strongly frowns on malingering. Plus physicians have to sign off on things. By endorsing fake injuries they would be committed fraud. 

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

The league strongly frowns on malingering. Plus physicians have to sign off on things. By endorsing fake injuries they would be committed fraud. 

You seriously can't be naive enough to think that teams won't do this, right?  We just saw Luka do it last season down the stretch.  Besides they don't even have to do pure fraud.  What athlete at this level doesn't have something going on?  When a team wants to shut people down, it will do so.  And the NBA will be loathe to call attention to it because of the damage to the brand.  Only the most egregious cases will ever see the light of day for discipline.  

This is like saying no NBA player will flop because there is a rule against it and refs to enforce it.  Give me a break.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

You seriously can't be naive enough to think that teams won't do this, right?  We just saw Luka do it last season down the stretch.  Besides they don't even have to do pure fraud.  What athlete at this level doesn't have something going on?  When a team wants to shut people down, it will do so.  And the NBA will be loathe to call attention to it because of the damage to the brand.  Only the most egregious cases will ever see the light of day for discipline.  

This is like saying no NBA player will flop because there is a rule against it and refs to enforce it.  Give me a break.

Well are players on the injury list that aren't actually injured? I guess we can't know for sure, but I'm assuming the league is keeping an eye on these things.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Well are players on the injury list that aren't actually injured? I guess we can't know for sure, but I'm assuming the league is keeping an eye on these things.

I don't think the league does. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Luka was last year.  Teams don’t have to work very hard to do these things.  The only thing that has changed is load management is no longer openly allowed.  Now you say someone is resting a strain or whatever instead of openly saying you are giving your star the night off.  Every player has nicks and strains.

Dallas openly removed players from competition and only got fined when they did it with half their team at the end.  Even then they got to keep their pick and got Derek Lively so the lesson is to do it subtly if you can and do it openly if you need to.

• Premium Member
On 3/7/2024 at 6:01 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

OO - out of the boot: re-evaluated in 7-10 days.

Kobe - in the boot for the next 10 days.

Kobe update is past due. Evaluation date was the 17th, today is the 20th.

Anybody know if he was still in walking boot on the sideline last game?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Kobe update is past due. Evaluation date was the 17th, today is the 20th.

Anybody know if he was still in walking boot on the sideline last game?

OO was a pleasant surprise. I agree that an update on Kobe would be noce.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Damn. 
There goes JJ’s chance at MIP. 

I think I saw he was already out of the running since he only played 8 minutes in the game he sustained the wrist injury. 20 minute requirement for the game to count.

• Like 1