• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

Who last went to the Eastern Conference Finals?  The Hawks have regressed while teams that were at or near the bottom since then in both conferences have stepped it up.  The Pacers finished 13th in the East in 2021-2022 season.  11th out of 15 teams last season.

oh so when you said "historically" what you really meant was last couple years.  🙄

Meanwhile, when looking at the two franchises over the last 30 years we see that ATL has won the division 3x w/ zero trips to the NBA finals whereas Pacers have won their divsion 6x with a trip to the NBA finals.

Poor job moving the goalposts on your part.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Chrimturn said:

Some mocks looking like Clingan might still be in the ballpark around our first pick.  You think they take him if he’s there?

Clingan sucks and already has foot issues. Hard pass.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, shakes said:

Clingan sucks and already has foot issues. Hard pass.

At ease bro.  I don’t want him either.  Would rather have a big with a broader offensive skill set.

The question was asking his opinion on whether he thought they would take him if he’s there.  Not “should they take him”.    You know the draft track record.  Not too hard to imagine them taking him if he falls.  Another +7’ glass cleaning / rim protecting, paint scorer on a RC.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trade for KAT

Draft Tidjane Salaun and Bronny James

In 2025, sign LeBron James. 

Trae

Bronny

Bron

JJ

KAT

Bronny is trash and his dad isn't going to be able to play 20+ minutes at 100% effort soon.  He already looks washed for about half his minutes.  Trading for KAT should be a priority, but I don't know that landscape or if it will be possible.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Bronny is trash and his dad isn't going to be able to play 20+ minutes at 100% effort soon.  He already looks washed for about half his minutes.  Trading for KAT should be a priority, but I don't know that landscape or if it will be possible.  

Get me LeBron James especially if we don't got picks for the next 3 years

Bron can be a FA this year too. Bronny James, welcome to Atlanta 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Trading for KAT should be a priority, but I don't know that landscape or if it will be possible.  

1st round Playoff exit will put KAT on the Blocks.. weather publickly or privately. 

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

1st round Playoff exit will put KAT on the Blocks.. weather publickly or privately. 

Even a WCF run could. Right now, so much depends on Conley for their +/- and since they will be in the 2nd apron.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I will say this, historically speaking, “Weak Drafts” are typically the drafts you find superstars in the late lottery and 2nd round.

Weak drafts are weak because there isn’t an easy choice at the top. There isn’t a Lebron, Wemby or Zion type of hype on a guy. But in those drafts, if you do your scouting correctly, that’s when you find your Giannis’ at 13, Jokic’s in round 2, Draymonds, DJMs, McCollums, Millsaps, etc….

There is always talent to be had, it’s just not obvious in a weak draft class. Somebody has to get drafted early, and those guys are typically overrated. And someone has to get drafted later, and those players are severely underrated in years like this.

Fantastic post
:clap:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Get me LeBron James especially if we don't got picks for the next 3 years

Bron can be a FA this year too. Bronny James, welcome to Atlanta 

I legitimately enjoy your hypothetical trades and thought experiments, but there is no way in hell I want a 40 year old Lebron James on this team and his son that doesn't deserve to be in the NBA.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I will say this, historically speaking, “Weak Drafts” are typically the drafts you find superstars in the late lottery and 2nd round.

Weak drafts are weak because there isn’t an easy choice at the top. There isn’t a Lebron, Wemby or Zion type of hype on a guy. But in those drafts, if you do your scouting correctly, that’s when you find your Giannis’ at 13, Jokic’s in round 2, Draymonds, DJMs, McCollums, Millsaps, etc….

There is always talent to be had, it’s just not obvious in a weak draft class. Somebody has to get drafted early, and those guys are typically overrated. And someone has to get drafted later, and those players are severely underrated in years like this.

There is no correlation with a weak draft and having gems in the rough -- this is a pretty wild assumption... there are gems in every draft late in the first and sometimes in the second round, but there is no reason to believe we will find one.  We might as well pretend like we can just wait for a top 5 player to sign here in FA at those odds.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

There is no correlation with a weak draft and having gems in the rough -- this is a pretty wild assumption... there are gems in every draft late in the first and sometimes in the second round, but there is no reason to believe we will find one.  We might as well pretend like we can just wait for a top 5 player to sign here in FA at those odds.

I'm inclined to agree.  The NBA draft was my jam from the early 90's up until like 2012ish as like watching how talent was drafted and developed.  It's all hit or miss, but the game changers are found almost exclusively in the lottery.  Outside of that, in any draft it's a matter of pure due diligence, fit, and player development/opportunity...and like a ~2% chance of finding an all-star quality talent. This is why when you have talent, you carefully examine what you need to maximize its impact and prioritize building around it.

This is a great time to drop a note for the Squawk... 

For future reference ya'll, this is why I maintain that everything is negotiable.  The next time I say that I would trade <player x>, please don't look at me sideways.  Potential has an expiration date and it absolutely KILLS us coddling our sacred cows too long.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I legitimately enjoy your hypothetical trades and thought experiments, but there is no way in hell I want a 40 year old Lebron James on this team and his son that doesn't deserve to be in the NBA.

It's not a horrible idea, I promise you, Tony would entertain it a lot. Trae is under LeBron company too. LeBron signing a team friendly deal is the most ideal 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Why would you be any more or less likely to find an underrated star later in the draft in a draft class without a clear #1 versus a draft with a clear #1 pick?  I don’t understand the correlation there if any.

23 minutes ago, AHF said:

Why would you be any more or less likely to find an underrated star later in the draft in a draft class without a clear #1 versus a draft with a clear #1 pick?  I don’t understand the correlation there if any.

People can get less excited if there's no hype for a given draft. And people don't do their homework as hard if they're not excited. GMs are humans -- their work ethic is influenced by potential benefit and if they don't see the stars because the media is saying that, then why put in the same amount of work?

• Moderators
Just now, warcore said:

People can get less excited if there's no hype for a given draft. And people don't do their homework as hard if they're not excited. GMs are humans -- their work ethic is influenced by potential benefit and if they don't see the stars because the media is saying that, then why put in the same amount of work?

You’d have to show me the data to show this before I’d buy into it.  These guys are professionals who advance their careers by unearthing gems that others missed.  I don’t see why they would take a year off from that just because there is no LeBron or Shaq.  We know the draft is a bit of a crap shoot so I get there will be people missed and variability and all that.  I’m just super skeptical that you are more likely to find a Giannis or Nash or Jimmy, etc. if there isn’t a consensus pick at the top.  (As an aside, you can have super strong drafts without a consensus #1 like the Kandi man draft.)

So, Hawks FO probably not gonna make any moves it seems.. they probably don’t like the market for any of the players which means the value will go down.

for some reason Masai can squeeze more value in trades but we just end up dumping players for 2nd rounders

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

So, Hawks FO probably not gonna make any moves it seems.. they probably don’t like the market for any of the players which means the value will go down.

for some reason Masai can squeeze more value in trades but we just end up dumping players for 2nd rounders

Masai is trading high end players -- we're trying to trade a bunch of mid ass players with fat contracts.  DJ is the only exception but his impact doesn't feel high for a guard, even though he's talented.  He's like a solid, but not elite, third option on a contender.

• Like 3